Image info to MS Excel

Old September 26th 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Image info to MS Excel

On 2016-09-26 00:05:17 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 16:47:05 -0700, Savageduck

says...

On 2016-09-25 20:39:50 +0000, BrJohan said:

Anyone aware of some software (Windows 10) that can help me transfer
a set of image characteristics (filename, size in pixels, bit depth,
PPI, color space) for all imagefiles in one (or more) directories, to
MS Excel?

I have a need for some statistics.

Why? Off hand that seems like a royal waste of time, to absolutly no
purpose, and unnecessary. Time and effort which might be better served
with actually taking photographs and/or post processing.

That seems like an exercise in futility and frustration, especially
given some of the "characteristics" you have in mind.

Probably the best software to give you a sensible breakdown of useful
data, rather that some of the odd choices you are making, would be Adobe
"Bridge" which is included with Photoshop.

what about ImageMagick?
http://www.imagemagick.org/
there is a windows binary release under downloads

Who knows? I don't use ImageMagick, so I have no idea of the data it
might reveal, but I do know Bridge, Lightroom and Photoshop.

The question remains; WTF would anybody in their right mind want to
engage in the proposed hare-brained Excel project?

One possible explanation is that his boss or professor told him to. You
get combative about some of the silliest things.

Not combative at all, but it truly does seem to be one of the silliest
proposals I have yet to see in r.p.d.

It was not a proposal. It was a request for information about how to
implement a project that BrJohan would like to take on. We don't know
why he wants to take on this project, but isn't that something that
isn't anyone's business but his?

OK, so I was wrong to use proposal.
I have registered your nit pick, and now I will refer to this as a
silly, pointless project. At least until BrJohan explains his
motivation and/or purpose, and we can see if that makes sense.

I am just calling it the way I see it.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 16, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

says...

On 2016-09-25 20:39:50 +0000, BrJohan said:

[...]

It's not a nitpick at all. A proposal is advancing the idea that
something needs to be done and that whatever is to be done would be
beneficial. A request for information on a means to collect data in
spreadsheet form is an entirely different thing.

A nitpick is pointing out a minor difference or error.

How many times do I have to acknowledge that I initially used an
inappropriate word?
Now you are being excessively pedantic.

and now I will refer to this as a silly, pointless project.

If that's not combative, I don't know what would rise to that.

OK! It is good that you are able to recognize combative.

At least until BrJohan explains his
motivation and/or purpose, and we can see if that makes sense.

He doesn't need my approval to take on the project, and I don't see
why he needs yours or anyone else's.

Who said anything about approval, mine or anybody else's?
I am curious as to why this data needs to be recorded in a spreadsheet
and what purpose this collected data would serve. It certainly does
nothing to improve or ease any workflow I can think of. With an answer,
somebody here might be able to provide some real guidance, which so far
has only come from Dale and me with our suggestions of ImageMagick and
Bridge. You and others have just taken issue with the manner I have
questioned BrJohan's purpose in all this.

I am just calling it the way I see it.

There's a lot of that in here.

Always has been, always will.

Savageduck