Inkjet printers (slightly OT)

Old October 26th 15, 05:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Keith nuttle

Default Inkjet printers (slightly OT)

On 10/26/2015 12:45 PM, android wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Still musing over the options.

comp.periphs.printers might be helpful if you need more input.

I had an HP932 printer, that I bought about 2000. It was used for basic
document printing, and pictures. It was not used a lot but when it was
used we would print a lot business cards with photo backs and
brochures. Before mom died we printed a lot of photos.

Point being we needed the cards and brochures about once per year, and
documents less than that. In the 15 years I have had the printer I
never had a problem with the print heads. I have bought its
replacement, as the HP5704 printer/scanner combination was the price of
the scanner. Since I have an inventory of ink for the 932, I will use
it for several more years

Old October 26th 15, 05:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Brian-Gaff

I always found the HP ones better on the clog factor and Epson the worst.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
o.uk...

Old October 26th 15, 06:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
tony sayer

In article ,
newshound scribeth thus
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Yes we have a HP Officejet 7110 for that very A3 reason. Can't grumble
about it. Bought it direct from HP, cartridges seem to last a sufficient
time its a "bit" noisy in operation farts around a bit but otherwise
fine. Print quality is fine

Handles paper very well to it replaced an 8600 which was in use for
years doing A3 and A4 sizes

I think its got wireless in it but we don't need that....

http://www.trustedreviews.com/hp-off...-format-review

--
Tony Sayer

Old October 26th 15, 06:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-26 17:58:08 +0000, "Brian-Gaff" said:

I always found the HP ones better on the clog factor and Epson the worst.
Brian

Epson has pretty much solved the ink clog issue on recent and current
inkjets. Some 10-12 years ago it was so bad I swore I would never buy
another Epson. My old Stylus 870 became a boat anchor quite quickly,
clog after clog, cleaning cartridge after clening cartridge. I moved to
Canon, and they were OK, but nothing special.
I relented when I couldn't get decent color rendition from my Canon
i9900. The solution was a move back to Epson, a move I have never
regretted. Not a single clogged nozzle since 2008 with an R2880, and my
XP-610 all-in-one has performed flawlessly for the last 18 months.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 15, 06:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Andy Burns[_2_]

Brian-Gaff wrote:

I always found the HP ones better on the clog factor and Epson the worst.

Not sure if it's still true, but with HP the heads were a disposable
part of the cartridge, while with Epson the cartridge is just an ink
tank (plus revenue protection chip) and the heads are part of the printer.

Old October 26th 15, 06:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Reentrant

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Would printing across multiple A4 sheets be an option? I use Easy Poster
Printer (second one down at http://www.gdsoftware.dk/products.aspx)
which makes this very easy, particularly if your A4 printer can print
right to the edge of the paper.

--
Reentrant
Old October 26th 15, 06:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/26/2015 09:29 AM, Bob Minchin wrote:
newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

I use Epsons - cheaper the better and often have a week between printing
and rarely have trouble that a head cleaning cycle won't sort out.
However if you stick makes that have integral printheads with the ink
tanks, eg HP then if you had one dry out that would not submit when
cleaned, then all you would have to do is chuck the cartridge rather
than the whole printer.
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

Also use Epson here...and the printer can sometimes go unused for a
month. Never had an ink jam.

We just replaced the one we use for photos and it went ten years.

We thought it senseless to even think of repairing it
Old October 26th 15, 08:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 26/10/2015 18:20, Reentrant wrote:
On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Would printing across multiple A4 sheets be an option? I use Easy Poster
Printer (second one down at http://www.gdsoftware.dk/products.aspx)
which makes this very easy, particularly if your A4 printer can print
right to the edge of the paper.

It's a good point, but often I am printing scans off old blueprint type
drawings, or sections of them, and sometimes scaling in order to
estimate otherwise unobtainable dimensions. Having a single sheet of A3
paper gives you a chance of getting a value with some confidence.
Old October 26th 15, 08:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 18:09:27 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

I always found the HP ones better on the clog factor and Epson the worst.

Not sure if it's still true, but with HP the heads were a disposable
part of the cartridge, while with Epson the cartridge is just an ink
tank (plus revenue protection chip) and the heads are part of the printer.

It's more than (easily defeated) revenue protection. It's there to
prevent air from getting in the print lines by stopping printing when
the tank is running on empty. That's why there is always some ink left
in the tank.

Eric Stevens
Old October 26th 15, 09:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital
Vir Campestris

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

Andy