xD vs SDHC in Fuji s5800

Old December 10th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Default xD vs SDHC in Fuji s5800

wrote:
Hi

I'm getting one of the Fuji's this Christmas (no comments, please -
its 100% better than my current Nikon CP 2100 which has a broken
battery slot, plus it is only costing me £83).

I've read several comments from separate individuals along the lines
of "capturing movies onto xD cards has resulted in better image
quality, more depth of colour etc".

Total BS. It stores the same data regardless of the card type.

Now, I would have thought that the medium being used was irrelevant,
its the CCD and image processing that the camera does that makes the
difference. But is it at all possible that they are right? If so, I
may invest in an xD card, otherwise I'll go SDHC / SD as I already
have some knocking around.

There is no reason to buy XD at all. SD is faster, cheaper,
and available in higher capacities. The only advantage that
XD cards offer is that they are (in theory) slightly more
robust due to the completely sealed design.

Having said that though, a little while back I was given the
task of seeing if I could retrieve photos from a bunch of SD
cards that were in a house fire. The cards had been close
enough to flame that they had warped, and had some scorch
marks on them. They were also sitting in water from the
drenching the firies gave the place. After overcoming the
physical problem of not being able to fit warped cards into
a reader, I was able to succesfully retrieve all the data
off all cards. Amazingly tough little buggers.

Thanks!

Matt