Nikon D60, Canon XSi (450D), or Olympus E-420?

Old March 9th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
[email protected]

Default Nikon D60, Canon XSi (450D), or Olympus E-420?

Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking
about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a
small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just
too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially
the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi
(450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture
quality among the above three? They are all about the same size, with
XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one
type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or
sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the
standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of
30-120 mm?).

The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the
smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the
other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments?

If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific
zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos?

Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and
noises in P&S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
pictures at higher ISOs?

Thanks for info.
Old March 10th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Ray Fischer

wrote:
Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking
about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a
small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just
too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially
the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi
(450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture
quality among the above three?

www.dpreview.com will give you all the details you want when it comes
to dSLR image quality. But in short: They're all good.

They are all about the same size, with
XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one
type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or
sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the
standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of
30-120 mm?).

The lens will have a bigger effect on he image quality than will the
camera itself, especially if you get the average everything-in-one
lens.

The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the
smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the
other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments?

If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific
zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos?

Smirk. The Canon 70-200mm f4 is widely regarded as being very sharp,
but it's a telephoto and about $1000 so I suspect that you want
something that's not quite the sharpest.

Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and
noises in P&S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
pictures at higher ISOs?

It certainly can make a significant difference.

--
Ray Fischer

Old March 10th 08, 10:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Michael J Davis

observed
[...]

Apart from wryly noting that the best picture quality is often a
function of the photographer, rather than the camera, I'd refer you to

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

....where most of the cameras mentioned are dissected fairly.

Mike

Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Old March 10th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Gary[_2_]

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:20:47 -0000, wrote:

Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking
about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a
small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just
too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially
the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi
(450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture
quality among the above three? They are all about the same size, with
XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one
type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or
sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the
standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of
30-120 mm?).

You may be better off with one of the 'prosumer' compact camera. Check out
those from Canon and Fuji

The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the
smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the
other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments?

My wife has the E410 which is Olympus's entry level DSLR. She finds it
fantastic and is just the right size for her. The pictures are good, too..
This camera takes both Compact Flash and Xd type cards. These are cheap
and easy to obtain. You can improve write speeds by buying Sandisk Extreme
type CF cards.

If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific
zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos?

My wife's kit came with both 14-42MM and 40-150mm Zuiko lens. She also got
a bag, lens adapter (for older Olympus lenses)and an introduction to the
4/3rds system.

Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and
noises in P&S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
pictures at higher ISOs?

Noise control is quite good on some of the files I've seen from the
camera. Shoot in RAW format, and you will have greater control via
software.
I'm a Nikon user (D50 and shortly D300), and I have enjoyed some aspects
of my wife's camera, but it is a little small for me. Having said that, if
I hadn't started collecting Nikon fit lenses, I may have beem tempted to
give their E3 an outing..

Thanks for info.

Hope it helps!
--
Gary
Old March 10th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
measekite

If you took a series of photos with each one of the cameras and printed them all to an 8x10 size I doubt if one would be any better in image quality than the other and you probably could not tell the difference except for certain characteristics once you learn what they are from each camera.

There may be some differences in color but what you like is a matter of preference.

That said I would give the most serious consideration to the Canon Xsi.  Better specs than the Xti I do like the menu system of Canon best (very much like your G7) so if you like operating that you are a step ahead.  Based on specifications I think the Canon is best.

What it is missing is a swiveling LCD like what they have on the S5.  Nobody seems to have this feature on a DSLR and I do not know why.

Old March 10th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Trev

wrote:
[...]

Sony do now, but Live view is new to DSLR's anyhow I would love a Dslr built
like a compact Medium format(thinking the Rolleiflexc 3003 35 mm with the
screen on top)

--
Trev
You can always tell a Yorkshire man,