Newby Question on Chemicals' shelf life...

Old November 21st 04, 12:17 AM
Dan Quinn

Lloyd Usenet-Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote

In addition, if we want traditional darkroom activity
to survive, the next generation should get a good
impression when they visit someone's darkroom. If I
show some kids my darkroom when they come by with their
mothers for a portrait, I don't want Mom's nose getting
bitten by 'fumes'. Those kids probably wouldn't become
darkroomies.

They "should get a" CORRECT impression also. Even Dr.
Gudzinowicz hedges his distrust of other than the seventy or
eighty year old acid stop/acid fix method to "very alkaline"
post developer processing. I'd suppose that concern also
extends to "very alkaline" developers.
The doctor worries' are of the effects very alkaline solutions
can have on today's hardener incorporated emulsions, physical
development from developer carry over into a continuing
alkaline environment, and swelling of the gelatin due
to osmosis when water "stoping".
I don't buy that last one perhaps because I've a background in
physics. As I've pointed out acid-stops are 98%, give or take,
H2O. So we have a 98:2 ratio and fast small H20 molecules
verses larger slower acid molecules. I think the shoe
fits equally well as for swell, water or acid stop.
Also the doctor's concerns center about solutions of high ionic
strength, ie D76 and Dektol, 1:1, and of course fixers used at
the usuall strengths, acid or otherwise. That is, emulsions
moved from such fixers to water or hca baths will
experience osmotic swell.
My experience with film and paper and the fact that developer
and fixer and emulsions do coexist in mono-baths and P. Gainers
own testimony leave me to doubt there is any problem with
physical development.
I use all photographic chemistry one-shot and very dilute.
I don't worry about any of the above. Nor are there any bothering
fumes or oder thanks to the chemistry's non-acid nature. Dan

Old November 21st 04, 02:13 AM
Tom Phillips

Dan Quinn wrote:

Lloyd Usenet-Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote

In addition, if we want traditional darkroom activity
to survive, the next generation should get a good
impression when they visit someone's darkroom. If I
show some kids my darkroom when they come by with their
mothers for a portrait, I don't want Mom's nose getting
bitten by 'fumes'. Those kids probably wouldn't become
darkroomies.

They "should get a" CORRECT impression also.

Using words like "correct" and "virtuous" to describe
or promote individual preferences in darkroom proceedures
borders on the religious..

I also have no bothering fumes. Use glacial acetic and
A. thio non-hardened. Never even smell it unless I stick
my nose right in the solution.

Course I also have very good ventilation since I also
like fresh air and filtering dust. I think most moms
would prefer that, knowing their child is in an OSHA
aafe environment :-)

Old November 21st 04, 02:20 AM
PATRICK GAINER

Lloyd Usenet-Erlick wrote:

On 17 Nov 2004 17:51:24 -0800, (Jed
Savage) wrote:

Also, I'm curious about safety. Are the fumes pretty unhealthy? What
about flamibility? Or using my fingers in the trays?

nov1804 from Lloyd Erlick,

There is no need for a darkroom to have "fumes". There
are darkroom products sold that smell badly, but even
these are unnecessary. It is easy to do all ordinary
black and white darkroom procedures free of odor.

It is also easy to do all normal processing with zero
chemical-skin contact.

Danger of fire in the darkroom is always an issue in
the sense that it is always something to keep in mind
in normal life. But normal darkroom materials are no
special fire hazard. Whether you're working in the
kitchen or the darkroom, safe practice is a must.

I have placed articles about these matters on my
website, under the 'technical' heading in the table of
contents.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:

net:
www.heylloyd.com

Since there is no need for Kosher chemicals in the darkroom (who's going
to consume them?), if you want sodium chloride, which is useful in the
darkroom, you probably want iodine-free salt with no other stuff in it,
and Morten's or other brand of canning salt works. Citric acid is used
in cooking and canning to prevent discoloring of various fruits and
vegetables where the sour taste is not a hindrance.