Travel without a camera

Old June 6th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Travel without a camera

So me and the family went to London over the weekend and I dared myself to
not bring a camera along, using only my iPhone:

http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Resa_Utan_Kamera

All shot with the iPhone, all edited on the iPhone (or in Photos on the Mac,
but it's pretty much the same controls).

Many photos are blown out and it's nowhere near to compete with a full format
sensor when it comes to dynamic range or ISO, but for shooting touristy shots
in London, I think it did pretty well, actually. The "depth effect" cheat is
pretty awesome at faking a short focal range, and the saturation and contrast
is really good to begin with.

--
Sandman
Old June 6th 17, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Many photos are blown out and it's nowhere near to compete with a full format
sensor when it comes to dynamic range or ISO

No surprise there. Get a better phone next time you're to renew your
contract:

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles Scores on the right!

I'm still very happy with my Xperia M4, got to love them Ms (pun
intended) as a good pocket instamatic drop in replacement. :-))
--
teleportation kills
Old June 6th 17, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 06/06/2017 18:03, android wrote:
In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Many photos are blown out and it's nowhere near to compete with a full format
sensor when it comes to dynamic range or ISO

No surprise there. Get a better phone next time you're to renew your
contract:

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles Scores on the right!

The iphone 7 isn't at the top - but it's only within 4 points of the top
(86/90). Would that really make much difference?

I'm still very happy with my Xperia M4,

The M5 is a fair way down (79) - so an iphone 7 would likely be a
considerable step up - for you? :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Old June 6th 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Sandman wrote:

Many photos are blown out and it's nowhere near to compete with a full
format
sensor when it comes to dynamic range or ISO

No surprise there. Get a better phone next time you're to renew your
contract:

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles Scores on the right!

The iphone 7 isn't at the top - but it's only within 4 points of the top
(86/90). Would that really make much difference?

I'm still very happy with my Xperia M4,

The M5 is a fair way down (79) - so an iphone 7 would likely be a
considerable step up - for you? :-)

I don't think sooo... As said: A phone cam is a drop in replacement for
a pocket instamatic and the Canon EOS M is with me most of the time.
It's a compact seized mirrorless. I don't plan to get a new phone within
a year but when I do it will most likely be a Xperia, I don't think that
an iPhone will give me better pictures than the M4 anyways. Samples from
the M4 can be found on my blog:

http://wp.me/p3strj-2O
--
teleportation kills
Old June 6th 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On 6 Jun 2017 16:49:53 GMT, Sandman wrote:

So me and the family went to London over the weekend and I dared myself to
not bring a camera along, using only my iPhone:

http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Resa_Utan_Kamera

All shot with the iPhone, all edited on the iPhone (or in Photos on the Mac,
but it's pretty much the same controls).

Many photos are blown out and it's nowhere near to compete with a full format
sensor when it comes to dynamic range or ISO, but for shooting touristy shots
in London, I think it did pretty well, actually. The "depth effect" cheat is
pretty awesome at faking a short focal range, and the saturation and contrast
is really good to begin with.

All nice photos, but I believe it has more, or everything, to do with
the fact that you are quite good at photography. Pretty much any
decent camera phone would have given you equally good results, even if
they were different in some ways.
Old June 7th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-06-07 09:06:07 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 17:50:03 UTC+1, Sandman wrote:
So me and the family went to London over the weekend and I dared myself to
not bring a camera along, using only my iPhone:

http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Resa_Utan_Kamera

All shot with the iPhone, all edited on the iPhone (or in Photos on the Mac,
but it's pretty much the same controls).

You didn't take many it seems.

What I did notice which I''ve noticed with my iphone7 is the rather
unpredicable setting the iphone sets regarding aperature, exposure
time, & ISO
Not that I think there's a way of changing them at the time.
examples:-
Apertu F1.8, Exposu 1/1350 s, ISO: 20
Apertu F2.8, Exposu 1/99 s, ISO: 250
Apertu F2.8, Exposu 1/50 s, ISO: 640
Apertu F1.8, Exposu 1/5319 s, ISO: 20

Just use an app such as VSCO, Camera+, or ProCamera.

Any of those will give you all the exposure flexibility you could want
with an iPhone, giving you the capability to select shutter, or
aperture priority, choose an ISO, or stay with auto ISO, or go full
manual.

Savageduck

Old June 7th 17, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/6/2017 12:49 PM, Sandman wrote:
So me and the family went to London over the weekend and I dared myself to
not bring a camera along, using only my iPhone:

http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Resa_Utan_Kamera

All shot with the iPhone, all edited on the iPhone (or in Photos on the Mac,
but it's pretty much the same controls).

Many photos are blown out and it's nowhere near to compete with a full format
sensor when it comes to dynamic range or ISO, but for shooting touristy shots
in London, I think it did pretty well, actually. The "depth effect" cheat is
pretty awesome at faking a short focal range, and the saturation and contrast
is really good to begin with.

The shot of the London eye is very nice, shows the capability of the
camera very well, as well as the skill of the one holding it.

Old June 7th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 6/6/2017 1:03 PM, android wrote:
In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Many photos are blown out and it's nowhere near to compete with a full format
sensor when it comes to dynamic range or ISO

No surprise there. Get a better phone next time you're to renew your
contract:

No, nothing wrong with the performance of the iPhone 7 at all. dxomark
scores don't tell the entire story but the score of the iPhone 7 is so
close to the top score that I defy you to tell the difference with your
eye between the same photo from an iPhone 7 and any Xperia.

Old June 7th 17, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Sandman wrote:

Many photos are blown out and it's nowhere near to compete with a full
format
sensor when it comes to dynamic range or ISO

No surprise there. Get a better phone next time you're to renew your
contract:

No, nothing wrong with the performance of the iPhone 7 at all. dxomark
scores don't tell the entire story but the score of the iPhone 7 is so
close to the top score that I defy you to tell the difference with your
eye between the same photo from an iPhone 7 and any Xperia.

perhaps if you into SOOC only... If you BSI and such then that is
something that APPL can't offer and that gives you more to work with in
post.

Wanna have an one inch sensor "in" your iPhone? Then get one of these:

http://www.dxo.com/us/dxo-one

Samples galore he

https://www.flickr.com/groups/dxoone/pool/