Deconstruct a GIF file

Old June 6th 17, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Deconstruct a GIF file

Savageduck wrote:

chaya eve is the well known nymshifting troll.

Given the absurdity of the original question that makes perfect sense.

it originated in the android group, with the usual tells.
Old June 6th 17, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-06-06 02:21:13 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

chaya eve is the well known nymshifting troll.

Given the absurdity of the original question that makes perfect sense.

it originated in the android group, with the usual tells.

I don't play in the Android group, so I missed that nymshift.
What all who have voiced any opinion should take away is, this is a
thread with little to zero value.

Savageduck

Old June 6th 17, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2017-06-06 02:21:13 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

chaya eve is the well known nymshifting troll.

Given the absurdity of the original question that makes perfect sense.

it originated in the android group, with the usual tells.

I don't play in the Android group, so I missed that nymshift.
What all who have voiced any opinion should take away is, this is a
thread with little to zero value.

One major difference is that this thread may be a bit shorter
than many of the other recent zero value threads. ;-)
--
==
Later...

---
http://www.avg.com

Old June 6th 17, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 20:56:54 -0400, Mayayana
wrote:

I don't know of any standard format that has a layers
option in the spec.

This is a legitimate question about layer removal.

The PNG screenshots contains personal information such as that which is
found in a log file. When you put a block over them, you create a layer.
You can prove it's a layer because the block can be removed while it's
still a PNG file. It can be saved & re-opened, and the layers can be
removed while it's still a PNG file.

Take this simples of examples:
1. You screenshot a log file from your phone as a PNG.
2. You edit it on a computer to add blocks to cover personal data.
3. In some cases, you have to actually add incorrect data to protect it.

Each of these changes shows up as a "layer" in the PNG file.
I'm just trying to ensure those layers don't inadvertently get into the
final image.

I don't care what format the final image is in, so all the discussion about
BMP and GIF and JPG is fine and very interesting, but this question is only
about layers.

If I put the edited PNG I assume the layers can be deconstructed. Right?
So all I'm asking is how to get rid of those underlying layers.
Old June 6th 17, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 5, 2017, Chaya Eve wrote
(in article ):

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 20:56:54 -0400,
wrote:

I don't know of any standard format that has a layers
option in the spec.

This is a legitimate question about layer removal.

Ok! OK! OK!

The PNG screenshots contains personal information such as that which is
found in a log file.

There is information, but not much “personal information” if any,
depending of what info you think of as “personal”.

[...]

Here you go:

Using the tools I have available, iPhone 6S+, Mac, Preview, and Photoshop CC,
I have taken a screenshot of a GoogleMaps location, and loaded it onto my Mac
for editing.

Opened the original PNG in PS CC then with no adjustments/edits. I export as
a resized JPEG, and GIF with metadata stripped in the export dialog.

Open the original PNG in Preview and add an edit block. The edit adds a
transparency layer to the edited PNG. I flatten the stack in PS CC - no more
layers.

Then I export edited PNG (metadata intact) and the JPEG & GIF resized,
metadata stripped versions of the edit to Dropbox.

Here are all six versions:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/91ccgcrbew20q6t/AABmRw8c8Xyb2ycHps7r_oMxa

What is the problem?

Just use a decent editor such as PS CC, but that is probably not on your list
of favored tools. If whatever you use as an editor shows layers see if you
can flatten layers and strip metadata.

Savageduck

Old June 6th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| chaya eve is the well known nymshifting troll.

Could be. Or maybe the OP is a beginner. I
don't much care. A discussion of file formats
could yield useful information for the online
record. (Unlike compulsive bickering and
contrariness, which only adds noise.)

I always think of these threads as a group
discussion. I even occasionally go searching
for information only to find my own post from
years ago, where I explained a detail that I
didn't remember I knew!

The original question and who asked it often
have no bearing on the usefulness of the
discussion.

Old June 6th 17, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Chaya Eve" wrote

| The PNG screenshots contains personal information such as that which is
| found in a log file. When you put a block over them, you create a layer.
| You can prove it's a layer because the block can be removed while it's
| still a PNG file. It can be saved & re-opened, and the layers can be
| removed while it's still a PNG file.

What are you using as an editor? If it's letting
you save layers then that's a special function
of the editor itself. If I save a PNG in PaintShopPro
it shows a message that the format does not
support layers and therefore the layers will be
merged.

If your editor is "trying to be helpful", just merge
the layers yourself.

| I don't care what format the final image is in, so all the discussion
about
| BMP and GIF and JPG is fine and very interesting, but this question is
only
| about layers.

It's worth understanding if you're going to work
with graphics. The various formats are essentially
just different ways to store a raster image, which
means a bitmap. A bitmap does not have layers.
So, as noted above, what you're seeing must be
a function of your image editing software. In other
words, it's confusing things by trying to hard to be
helpful. The layers are really memory of your editing
work, not parts of the image.

| If I put the edited PNG I assume the layers can be deconstructed. Right?
| So all I'm asking is how to get rid of those underlying layers.

Merge them. Since you didn't say what software
you're using, there's no way anyone can tell you more.
In PaintShopPro, Layers is a top-level menu item.
Layers - Merge All eliminates the layers. You should
have a similar option. If the editor has a help menu
then look up "merge layers".

Old June 6th 17, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 05:13:23 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Open the original PNG in Preview and add an edit block. The edit adds a
transparency layer to the edited PNG. I flatten the stack in PS CC - no more
layers.

Nobody said that flattening doesn't remove layers.
That's a specific layer-removal step that I haven't done in the past.

So all my uploaded images have NOT been flattened.
They've simply been saved to various image file formats.

What I'm asking about is layers, not flattening of layers.

Which image file formats "contain" the original layers of the PNG file?
More to the point, which file format can't contain the original layers?
Old June 6th 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 09:56:33 -0400, Mayayana
wrote:

What are you using as an editor? If it's letting
you save layers then that's a special function
of the editor itself.

Your question is a good one because I realized, when I answer your
question, that I was calling the flie a PNG when it's really a PDN file!

I didn't even _notice_ that difference until you asked me what the editor
is.

The editors I use mostly are just Paint.NET and Irfanview, although
sometimes I use Vicman and Pinta.

The PDN file from Paint.NET definitely has layers.
If I run a separate flatten step, that removes the layers.

But I've already posted many images to the net where I didn't know about
the flattening step that has to be run manually.

So I just want to know which common image formats can store layers and
whether those stored layers can be deconstructed.
Old June 6th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Markorki

nospam wrote :
In article , Mayayana wrote:

bmp is very, very rarely used anymore.

Of course not, on Macs.

nor on windows. bmp is inefficient.

So there's no sense
reduing from BMP until editing is done and one
wants a finished copy as GIF.

there's no sense in using bmp anymore.

Many people think as Mayayana and keep using BMP format as long as editing is
not finished...

Mayayana may be the only one spending time to try to make you understand why ;-)

--
En marge de "nuit debout" :
On signale un collectif de gastropodes rclamant le droit au pouce opposable.