35mm Film vs Digital again

Old December 21st 05, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default 35mm Film vs Digital again

Chris Loffredo wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"Graham Fountain" writes:

I just realised - this debate about film vs digital has been done all wrong
up till now. So far people have argued about the technical aspects, the
not-so-technical "look" of film, the cost of equipment vs ongoing cost, the
relative enjoyment etc etc etc. Everyone (including myself) who has argued
one way or the other has it all wrong. There is one important aspect that
has been overlooked. This aspect, once understood by all, will be the
death-knell of digital and people will return to 35mm in their droves. No
matter how many zillions of dollars are thrown at new bodies by Canon,
Nikon, and everyone else, so far they have all overlooked one crucial
aspect, and it looks certain they will continue to do so. What is this one
important factor? the one thing that will keep 35mm alive? It's simple. No
matter how fancy digital cameras get, they will never ever be able to match
this one thing.....

The usefulness of the empty plastic canisters 35mm film is shipped in.

That's a very important issue -- but I've got several decades supply
still in stock, so it won't constrain my camera choice immediately.

Just wondering (just in case the worse scenarios come true, however
unlikely), how long CAN frozen film last?

Until the manufacture and supply of developer runs out.

Colin D.
Old December 21st 05, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Colin D wrote:

Until the manufacture and supply of developer runs out.

That isn't likely. All of the ingredients in D-76 are used
on a large scale for non-photographic purposes.

Peter.

Old December 21st 05, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Colin D wrote:
Chris Loffredo wrote:
Just wondering (just in case the worse scenarios come true,

however
unlikely), how long CAN frozen film last?

Until the manufacture and supply of developer runs out.

Colin D.

The developer is much lower tech to produce then the film. Then too
the way things are going it will be the crappy films (read ISO 800)
that last the longest, so if there is a film you have learned to use
and like the idea of storing some when it goes out of production might
make sense.

In the IC business most manufacturers will give you a warning when a
given IC is going out of production, so you can do a last buy. It
would be nice if Kodak and Fuji would commit to giving a warning before
taking any given film out of production. Kodak did give a long warning
when they decided to shut down the manufacturing of BW paper. But
Kodak has been pretty careful of late not to say anything definitive
about how much longer then will produce any given film.

Scott

Old December 21st 05, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 2005-12-20 06:37:07 -0500, "Graham Fountain" said:

[...]

I don't know. My 35mm film is shipped in FULL plastic canisters, not
empty ones. If they were empty I'd be pretty peeved at the price!
--
Michael | "He's dead, Jim."

Old December 21st 05, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Chris Loffredo writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"Graham Fountain" writes:

[...]

A LONG time. Multiple decades at least. And remember that, if it
warms up, it merely resumes aging at normal speed, i.e. a power outage
that would ruin a freezer full of meat doesn't do that much damage to
a freezer full of film.
Old December 21st 05, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

columbotrek wrote:

Graham Fountain wrote:

[...]

I thought that the Aluminum screw top cans were useful too.

But I haven't seen one in a while.
Old December 21st 05, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Colin D wrote:

Chris Loffredo wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

[...]

Make your own like Fox Talbot.
Old December 21st 05, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Colin D wrote:

Chris Loffredo wrote:

Just wondering (just in case the worse scenarios come true, however
unlikely), how long CAN frozen film last?

Until the manufacture and supply of developer runs out.

I've mixed my own developer & fixer many in the past - no problem there
(unless you are suggesting that chemicals will also disappear?)
Apparently even coffee can be used as a developer...
Old December 21st 05, 06:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Colin D wrote:

Chris Loffredo wrote:

Just wondering (just in case the worse scenarios come true, however
unlikely), how long CAN frozen film last?

Until the manufacture and supply of developer runs out.

Colin D.

I've mixed my own developer & fixer many times in the past - no problem
there (unless you are suggesting that chemicals will also disappear?)

Apparently even coffee can be used as a developer...

Never underestimate the resourcefulness of a determined film user!
: )
Old December 21st 05, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 20 Dec 2005 11:27:09 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

Chris Loffredo wrote:
Just wondering (just in case the worse scenarios come true, however
unlikely), how long CAN frozen film last?

There are two areas that some care is needed for long term storage, one
is the background radiation and the other is cosmic rays. The
background radiation can be controlled by storing the film in something
have very low radioactivity. Cosmic rays are harder to control It
would appear you need a few meters of lead to stop a cosmic ray.
I believe it is mainly the background radiation that fogs film however
so just controlling that should help a lot. deep caves work as well.

With care I believe you could extend the life to a fair number of
years, lower ISO films lasting longer then high.

Scott

HoWw about film that was exposed, then frozen, but never developed?
Would you process it differently than unexpired film? Black and
white?

Color, say C-22 process? Can you even get that developed any longer?

Father Kodak