350D / Rebel Digital XT Preview

Old February 17th 05, 04:28 AM
Darrell

"Brian Baird" wrote in message
.. .
I knew Phil was sitting on something. He was quiet. TOO quiet.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...50dpreview.asp

I would presume, Phil Askey (dpreview.com) LetsGoDigital.co et al all had a
sneak preview, somebody at LetsGoDigital broke a publication embargo with
yesterday's "leak" I have been a web type since 1992, and I tried but
couldn't find the hidden 350D/XT page, so the URL had to be leaked out. Phil
was quiet, although I have never met the man he honoured the argreement. I
can say this as the sites that honoured the agreement all launched detailed
reports within a short time frame of the launch, ergo they knew!

Old February 17th 05, 04:33 AM
Darrell

"Chris D" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:13:59 +0900

One thing I am a little confused about - excuse my ignorance -

From what I keep reading on this and other groups, The Rebel is
just another name for the 300D, right? And rebelXT is another
name for the 350D? Why two names for the same camera? Seems
like the rebel line has a lighter shade of body than the 300's -
Is that just cosmetic, internals are identical? Is 'Rebel' the
US name?

North America=Digital Rebel, Europe=350D (multi-lingual market too many
names so a numerical tag) Japan=Kiss n Digital

Old February 17th 05, 11:59 PM
Brian Baird

Default 350D / Rebel Digital XT Preview

Old February 18th 05, 01:13 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Brian Baird" wrote:
I knew Phil was sitting on something. He was quiet. TOO quiet.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...50dpreview.asp

There's only a tad more real information there (e.g. burst speeds), no image
quality comparisons.

Ouch! The battery only has 65% the juice of the 300D's battery. Yuck. They
really pulled out all the stops to make the smallest, lightest dSLR out
there at any cost. That will probably push a lot of 300D owners over to the
20D.

The sensor is even smaller than the 20D, so maybe it is a redesigned sensor,
not just a reimplementation on a higher-volume fab line as I guessed.

E300: 17.3 x 13.0
350D: 22.2 x 14.8
20D: 22.5 x 15.0
(300D/10D): 22.7 x 15.1
D70: 23.7 x 15.6

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old February 18th 05, 01:39 AM
Chris D

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

The sensor is even smaller than the 20D, so maybe it is a
redesigned sensor, not just a reimplementation on a
higher-volume fab line as I guessed.

An article posted on aus.photo -
http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon..._rebel_xt.html

seems to indicate it IS a fully redesigned sensor. The article
makes it sound pretty damn impressive in fact, though I know
little about these things, so may be easily fooled by marketing
hype.

One thing I am a little confused about - excuse my ignorance -

From what I keep reading on this and other groups, The Rebel is
just another name for the 300D, right? And rebelXT is another
name for the 350D? Why two names for the same camera? Seems
like the rebel line has a lighter shade of body than the 300's -
Is that just cosmetic, internals are identical? Is 'Rebel' the
US name?

-Chris D

Old February 18th 05, 01:46 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Chris D" wrote:

One thing I am a little confused about - excuse my ignorance -

From what I keep reading on this and other groups, The Rebel is
just another name for the 300D, right? And rebelXT is another
name for the 350D? Why two names for the same camera? Seems
like the rebel line has a lighter shade of body than the 300's -
Is that just cosmetic, internals are identical? Is 'Rebel' the
US name?

Canon calls their entry level cameras "Kiss" in Japan, "Rebel" in the US,
and number everywhere else. As in "You can kiss my rebel 234XQsd234"

David J. Littleboy
A Bostonian Yankee in
Tokyo, Japan