300D/Tamron 28-300 Upgrade Recommendations

Old January 27th 05, 04:31 PM
rip_saw777*nospam*@yahoo.com

Default 300D/Tamron 28-300 Upgrade Recommendations

Hi All

I have spent about 9 months traveling around with a Ixus(Elph) 410, a
300D and a Tamron 28-300mm lens. I have to say that the Tamron is a
versatile lens and works in many different environments. I do notice it
does not perform well at the extremes (28/300) and does not allow me to
take group photos very easily because of the minimum of 28 holding me
back from taking wide angle shots. In many cases the Ixus 410
outperforms the 300D/Tamron for taking quality shots that are sharp and
lush in colour. I spoke with the camera shop I bought the Tamron from
and the rep said he was surprised I was looking to replace it.

First question is: Would any of you guys out there consider upgrading?
See the lenses I am thinking about below.

2nd question is: Do you think upgrading will actually improve my shots?
I am not a professional, just an amateur, but I know what looks good
and what doesn't. I am sure there is something to be said for knowing
the right conditions to take certain shots. I have seen on the Tamron
page photos taken by pros using this lens and they are far better than
anything I could take.

The following was what I was considering
Canon 17-40mmL
Canon 70-200mm 4L or Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM

There is a gap from 40-70(64-112). I am not sure how needed this is or
not. The only other option would be going with the 17-85 lens, but
seems like a lot of people didn't like that lens much.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Regards
John

Old January 27th 05, 06:41 PM
Eric Miller

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All

[snip]

[...]

With regard to your first question. I would definitely consider upgrading.
What I notice about your question is that you get sharper images from your
Ixus 410. Frankly this should tell you something about your lens. The Ixus
is probably a very good camera, but the two Canon lenses you are considering
should easily outperform the Ixus. I haven't owned the 17-40, but I have
owned the Canon 70-200 f/4L, and it is the overall best lens that I have
ever owned. I foolishly sold it and purchased its 2.8L IS big brother. An
extra $1,000 for IS and one stop that I really never needed. The 2.8L is a
fine lens if you need the extra stop, but the f/4L is all most anyone really
needs and I have yet to run across a bad review or a disappointed owner of
that lens.

As for the "lush in colour" quality of your Ixus shots, I'm afraid that that
quality is probably due to in-camera saturation adjustments. You can achieve
the same result by adding saturation to your 300D shots in your image
editor.

Knowing what I know about the 70-200 f/4l and if what I hear about the Canon
17-40 lens is correct, you should notice an immediate and readlily apparent
improvement in the area of sharpness if you upgrade to those two lenses.

Eric Miller

Old January 27th 05, 07:34 PM
Frank ess

Hi All

snippage has occurred

The following was what I was considering
Canon 17-40mmL
Canon 70-200mm 4L or Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM

There is a gap from 40-70(64-112). I am not sure how needed this is or
not. The only other option would be going with the 17-85 lens, but
seems like a lot of people didn't like that lens much.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

It seems to me that generally you should be satisfied with any Canon "L"
lens. I would find a way to plug the gap if I were interested in making
standard (head-and-shoulders) portraits, since the 70mm/112mm
equivalence is closing in on the high end of that range. Otherwise, wise
choices, I think.

--
Frank ess

"Because of the Swiss Cheese nature of everyone's life experience and
education, the Whoosh Bird can drop a load on anyone's head, without
warning." -Albrecht Einstein

Old February 6th 05, 06:04 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

First question is: Would any of you guys out there consider upgrading?
See the lenses I am thinking about below.

2nd question is: Do you think upgrading will actually improve my shots?

Upgrading will make your pictures MUCH better. Try to pick up a used
50mm (non-zoom) lens, and shoot a role with that. You'll see much
better your pictures can look.

Take a look at http://www.exc.com/Photography for some user reviews of
good Canon lenses. I would personally recommend the 28-135 IS USM and
a good all-purpose lens. I would also recommend a good 50mm fixed
lens.

-Joel