Cardreader for Hitachi 4 GB microdrive

Old November 27th 04, 02:16 PM
AK

Default Cardreader for Hitachi 4 GB microdrive

I just bought a 4GB microdrive (for those interested in buying one - I got
it at Ritz - they have a sale this weekend with $80 in rebates - $169 net
for the drive).

Can someone advise me which cardreader can handle this drive? I tried one
supplied by Ritz and it can't deal with this size or type of drive,
apparently.

Thanks

Alan

Old November 27th 04, 04:01 PM
Renee

"AK" wrote in message
I just bought a 4GB microdrive (for those interested in buying one - I got
it at Ritz - they have a sale this weekend with $80 in rebates - $169 net
for the drive).

Can someone advise me which cardreader can handle this drive? I tried one
supplied by Ritz and it can't deal with this size or type of drive,
apparently.

Thanks

Alan

Alan, buy a card reader that can read CompactFlash Type II cards.

If you can, get one that supports USB 2.0 or firewire, and its respective
adapter for your PC. With 4 GB storage, you'll want the fastest data
transfer speeds you can get.

Old November 27th 04, 05:30 PM
AK

Renee:

The one I tried was for compact flash Type II, and USB - but although my
computer could see the drive when I inserted it (the little symbol for "New
Hardware found" came up and I could see that there was a drive when I looked
at it in Windows Explorer) it kept asking me to insert a device even though
it had "seen" the microdrive when it was inserted - its as if it needs some
kind of driver to see it, even though the cardreader was supposed to be
supported by Windows XP.

So I guess there is some particular brand that I need, which is what I'm
hoping to get advice about - otherwise, as you say, it'll take forever to
download from the camera.

Thanks for taking a look at this!

Alan

Old November 27th 04, 06:04 PM
Clyde

"Renee" wrote in message

"AK" wrote in message

I just bought a 4GB microdrive (for those interested in buying one - I
got it at Ritz - they have a sale this weekend with $80 in rebates - $169
net for the drive).

Can someone advise me which cardreader can handle this drive? I tried one
supplied by Ritz and it can't deal with this size or type of drive,
apparently.

Thanks

Alan

Alan, buy a card reader that can read CompactFlash Type II cards.

If you can, get one that supports USB 2.0 or firewire, and its respective
adapter for your PC. With 4 GB storage, you'll want the fastest data
transfer speeds you can get.

Hum, I have the 1 & 2 GB versions of that. I use Lexar Multicard Reader.
Windows XP Pro sees it as a hard drive without any problem. I just copy
to my hard drive.

BTW, this reader is USB 2.0, but I don't think it matters with these
cards. The same reader will read my Sandisk SD cards very fast. The
microdrives are pretty slow to transfer. It's not a problem for me, but
if I did it every day it would be.

Clyde
Old November 27th 04, 06:40 PM
Renee

"AK" wrote in message

The one I tried was for compact flash Type II, and USB - but although my
computer could see the drive when I inserted it (the little symbol for
"New Hardware found" came up and I could see that there was a drive when I
looked at it in Windows Explorer) it kept asking me to insert a device
even though it had "seen" the microdrive when it was inserted - its as if
it needs some kind of driver to see it, even though the cardreader was
supposed to be supported by Windows XP.

So I guess there is some particular brand that I need, which is what I'm
hoping to get advice about - otherwise, as you say, it'll take forever to
download from the camera.

Thanks for taking a look at this!

Alan

Alan, see http://tinyurl.com/5racx to see if your card reader is compatible
with the microdrive.

Renee

Old November 27th 04, 06:48 PM
Renee

"Clyde" wrote in message

BTW, this reader is USB 2.0, but I don't think it matters with these
cards. The same reader will read my Sandisk SD cards very fast. The
microdrives are pretty slow to transfer. . .

Clyde

That's unfortunate but good to know.

Old November 27th 04, 10:35 PM
AK

How embarrassing - I spent about 30 minutes poking around Hitachi's website
and didn't find this page!

Thanks muchly!