travelling w/film - need to use cannisters?

Old October 25th 04, 06:47 PM
rob

In message - doug pearl
writes:
:
:What's the conventional wisdom? When travelling with a bunch of film (a
:few dozen rolls of 35mm), is it prudent to keep each roll in its plastic
:cannister to protect it from dust/moisture/whatever, or is this just
:needless bulk to be dragged around?
:
:I like to keep film in large ziplock bags for ease of access and for
:airport checks, and would like to leave the cannisters behind.
:
:Thanks,
:Doug

Hi
I store the cannisters in my regular luggage and pack the film in ziplock bags
for easy airport checks. Then put the film back in the cannisters when I
arrive at my destination. It's a bit of a nuisance, but I figure it's worth
doing to protect the film (especially when I'm near the ocean).

Rob
www.rcp.ca

Old October 25th 04, 06:56 PM
rob

In message q%dfd.527793$8_6.386382@attbi_s04 - "Wm Gardner"
writes:
:
:"doug pearl" wrote in message
:news : What's the conventional wisdom? When travelling with a bunch of film
: (a
: few dozen rolls of 35mm), is it prudent to keep each roll in its
: plastic
: cannister to protect it from dust/moisture/whatever, or is this just
: needless bulk to be dragged around?
:
: I like to keep film in large ziplock bags for ease of access and for
: airport checks, and would like to leave the cannisters behind.
:
: Thanks,
: Doug
:
:For what it's worth....... Since Sept. 11th I have shipped my film via
:UPS- ahead of myself to my first hotel. That way there is no hassle (and
:there certainly can be, don't even get me going about Portland a couple
:of weeks ago) when you go through security and you are not required to
:x-ray the film either. Yeah, yeah, only ASA 800 and higher; even an
:article about that in Pop Photo or one of those recently.........I am
:just a little anal about my film and do not want it x-rayed, regardless.
:
: stuff snipped...

I was thinking of shipping film ahead of my arrival, until a friend of mine
(who ships a lot of x-ray sensitive stuff) said he thought that couriered
items sent via air were x-rayed using the baggage scanners. If you can send it
ground, you'll probably be ok.

I put my film in a ziplock bag for the inspection process and got the "800 and
higher professional film" hassle.
I thought "pros' used lower speed film

I arrived early, went though the inspection area when there was hardly anyone
around and still got hassled (maybe the inspectors were bored). The hassling
stopped when one of them asked what I would charge for an 8x10 portrait - out
of the blue I said $300 (don't know why I picked that number). Talk about
total change in attitude, "wow you must be a professional, we'll check your
film right away".

Rob
www.rcp.ca

Old October 25th 04, 08:19 PM
me

"doug pearl" wrote in message
news
What's the conventional wisdom? When travelling with a bunch of film (a
few dozen rolls of 35mm), is it prudent to keep each roll in its plastic
cannister to protect it from dust/moisture/whatever, or is this just
needless bulk to be dragged around?

I like to keep film in large ziplock bags for ease of access and for
airport checks, and would like to leave the cannisters behind.

I was taught that you shouldn't change film in bright light so I always try
to keep film in the canister until just before loading. I still do this but
I don't know if I need to anymore so I'm afraid I won't be of much help on
that question.

As far as airport security is concerned see below.

TSA info about transporting photographic equipment and film:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1248.xml

TSA info about transporting film:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1035.xml

One more note. I read that you should check tripods as they are now
considered possible weapons.

Hope this helps
me

Old October 25th 04, 08:47 PM
Alan Browne

doug pearl wrote:
What's the conventional wisdom? When travelling with a bunch of film (a
few dozen rolls of 35mm), is it prudent to keep each roll in its plastic
cannister to protect it from dust/moisture/whatever, or is this just
needless bulk to be dragged around?

They keep dust and other dirt out. They are not well enough sealed to keep
moisture out.

I like to keep film in large ziplock bags for ease of access and for
airport checks, and would like to leave the cannisters behind.

As long as you have something dust free to keep them in before and after
shooting. The dust (or other dirt) can get into the light trap felts and cause
scratches.

Have fun.

Old October 25th 04, 09:34 PM
Phil Stripling

doug pearl writes:

I like to keep film in large ziplock bags for ease of access and for
airport checks, and would like to leave the cannisters behind.

Ziplock bags are more likely to leak than the cannisters, in my
experience. I've had more than my share of spills into whatever I had
exposed film in, and I've learned the hard way to keep film in the
cannister. My suggestion is to use the cannisters.
The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email to philip@
http://www.cieux.com/ | my domain is read daily.
Old October 25th 04, 10:12 PM
Wm Gardner

"doug pearl" wrote in message
[...]

Just contact the hotel, make sure they don't mind, mark on the box "Hold
for Guest: (your name)", and ship it overnight or 2nd day so it is not
out of the fridge too long. Oh, and give yourself an extra day (if using
overnight, ship 2 days before your arrival) in case your shipper misses
the deadline.

While you are entitled to request a hand inspection, I have seen other
travelers really hassled by doing so. When going through security my
philosophy is very similar to Moose Peterson's:
http://www.moose395.net/gear/carryon.html Sometimes no matter how
friendly or cooperative you may be it does not help very much but it
usually makes a world of difference.

As for the film canisters, I certainly agree with Alan Browne. They do a
far better job than Ziploc bags. If you want to take your film out for
inspection put them back in when get to the hotel.

Some will tell you that this is over the top and unnecessary. What can I
say? It has worked very well for me so far.... Good luck in your
travels!

Hope it helps,
Bill

--

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
-Theodore Roosevelt