Course excercise

Old July 2nd 04, 02:27 AM
daytripper

Default Course excercise

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:17:33 +1200, John wrote:

As a novice to photography I thought it wise to join a short training
course on how to take good photographs. So far I've enjoyed the group,
and feel that I have picked up a lot of important points that has
helped me.

However, as well as being a novice to photography, I'm also
artistically challenged, so when the course director gave out the next
exercise as "Heaven and Hell" I'm at a complete loss as to what
photographs to take.

Is there a kind person in the group that could give me a few pointers
that would assist me in taking the appropriate type photographs for
this subject?

Any help would be much appreciated:-)

For instance: a shot of a meadow in bloom on a warm sun-filled day, vs a tight
shot of a rocky shoreline with pounding surf, black skies and driving rain...
Old July 2nd 04, 03:45 AM
Al Denelsbeck

John wrote in
:

As a novice to photography I thought it wise to join a short training
course on how to take good photographs. So far I've enjoyed the group,
and feel that I have picked up a lot of important points that has
helped me.

However, as well as being a novice to photography, I'm also
artistically challenged, so when the course director gave out the next
exercise as "Heaven and Hell" I'm at a complete loss as to what
photographs to take.

Is there a kind person in the group that could give me a few pointers
that would assist me in taking the appropriate type photographs for
this subject?

Any help would be much appreciated:-)

Aw, now, c'mon! We can't be doing your homework assignments for you!
;-)

This one strikes me as a two-part deal. One of which is simply using
your skills at photography and composition to present your subject as well
as you can - pretty obvious, but easy to let slide when you start
concentrating on subject matter.

Subject matter is, of course, the second part, and that's a matter of
personal interpretation. Nobody can tell you how the subject line is going
to work best in your eyes. But you can approach it figuratively or
literally (well, more or less, anyway - good luck getting a direct pic of
either).

Literal: Fluffy white clouds, and flames. Sunbeams in the sky, and a
volcano (everyone has one nearby, right?).

Figurative: Food is a favorite, of course. Weekdays and weekends. A
'closed' sign on a bar. Children crying at an amusement park.

Most of these are clichés, and may already be submitted by others in
your group - certainly the director has seen them before. So try to be
creative about it, but also make the presentation as good as you can -
while they may have been submitted before, maybe yours will be the best
version.

Sounds like fun anyway. Good luck!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain
Old July 2nd 04, 08:29 AM
Woodsy Niles

John wrote in

As a novice to photography I thought it wise to join a short
training course on how to take good photographs. So far I've
enjoyed the group, and feel that I have picked up a lot of
important points that has helped me.

However, as well as being a novice to photography, I'm also
artistically challenged, so when the course director gave out the
next exercise as "Heaven and Hell" I'm at a complete loss as to
what photographs to take.

Is there a kind person in the group that could give me a few
pointers that would assist me in taking the appropriate type
photographs for this subject?

Any help would be much appreciated:-)

Regards,
John

Stop asking other people to do your homework for you, John. You can't
get through life that way.

--
Wood

"Donkeys can talk, people can fly, and a man named Jesus lives in the
Sky!"

Old July 2nd 04, 09:07 AM
bagal

One of the important things IMHO is to learn to trust your own intuition and
have confidence in it

Do your homework!

das B

.. .

Old July 2nd 04, 01:33 PM
Cadillac_Jones

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:29:11 GMT, Woodsy Niles
wrote:

Stop asking other people to do your homework for you, John. You can't
get through life that way.

Yes you can...It's called being a 'manager'.

"I'm the luckiest man in the world. I have a cigarette
lighter and a wife...and they both work!"
Old July 2nd 04, 04:45 PM
Frank ess

Woodsy Niles wrote:
John wrote in

As a novice to photography I thought it wise to join a short
training course on how to take good photographs. So far I've
enjoyed the group, and feel that I have picked up a lot of
important points that has helped me.

However, as well as being a novice to photography, I'm also
artistically challenged, so when the course director gave out the
next exercise as "Heaven and Hell" I'm at a complete loss as to
what photographs to take.

Is there a kind person in the group that could give me a few
pointers that would assist me in taking the appropriate type
photographs for this subject?

Any help would be much appreciated:-)

Regards,
John

Stop asking other people to do your homework for you, John. You can't
get through life that way.

I guess the "next exercise" was designed to help the novice photographer
develop a sense of his sense of appropriateness. It seems to me he
should relax and let scenes of "hellish" and "heavenly" aspect enter his
mind, then find subjects that match those profiles to photograph. Then
put his camera in the street and wait until a lorry flattens it. (joke)

My question is:
If the request were signed
"Regards,
Wendy"
would there have been a different response?

Thank you for your attention.
Wendy
(joke)

Old July 2nd 04, 06:25 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:17:33 +1200, John wrote:

As a novice to photography I thought it wise to join a short training
course on how to take good photographs. So far I've enjoyed the group,
and feel that I have picked up a lot of important points that has
helped me.

However, as well as being a novice to photography, I'm also
artistically challenged, so when the course director gave out the next
exercise as "Heaven and Hell" I'm at a complete loss as to what
photographs to take.

Is there a kind person in the group that could give me a few pointers
that would assist me in taking the appropriate type photographs for
this subject?

Any help would be much appreciated:-)

Regards,
John

C'mon, John, work on it a little.
What are 'heaven' and 'hell'?
They are extreme opposites.
A beach and a desert.
An English sparrow and a peacock.
An infant and an old wizened person.
A Brownie Box camera and whatever you see as the epitome of modern
photographic equipment.

The choices are endless; your challenge is to find such a comparison
that isn't a cliche.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old July 2nd 04, 07:39 PM
bagal

snipped

A soft drinks can straight from the freezer with beads of moisture on the
outside

A softdrinks can crushed and flattened and strewn away carelessly?

das B

Old July 2nd 04, 11:56 PM
bagal

nice one John

I am sure you are going to do very well in your course and I expect you will
really enjoy it

good luck

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Managed okay for the last seventy years:-)

Thanks to the group for all the pointers.

Regards,
John