Entry level Nikon 24mp?!

Old April 3rd 12, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default Love the Coolpix F-mount Adapter, too

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:14:23 -0500, Rich wrote:

Scroll down 1/2 page. A D3200 with 24mp. Poor little 18-55mm kit lens, it
won't know what hit it...

http://nikonrumors.com/

I wonder if anyone actually bought into that one? Good April Fool's
joke.
Old April 4th 12, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Entry level Nikon 24mp?!

Bruce wrote:
[...]
Rich wrote:

http://nikonrumors.com/

It will be fascinating to watch how the D3200 changes the market.

It will be much more fascinating to watch the faces when the
D3200 appears right after the Canon 3D arrives (which has been
rumored for a long time now ...)

Well, I wouldn't mind if Nikon would mix up the market ---
there's no need that Canon should become complacent.

-Wolfgang
Old April 4th 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

David J Taylor wrote:
"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
David J Taylor wrote:

There's some sense in making the sensor resolution rather higher than
the
lens resolution. It reduces the need for an anti-alias filter,

Not really. Unless there won't be any lens mountable, now or
in future, Nikon or Zeiss or any other 3rd party lens maker,
that'll be better than the given lens quality/AA filter strength
assumptions. (Which means: for fixed lens cameras that's true,
for interchangeable lens cameras, not so.)

I'm thinking this is an entry-level camera, and that people are unlikely
to use first-class lenses with it.

Maybe, but then they wouldn't be fully compatible to the EF and
EF-S range. I'll just note that comparatively cheap macro lenses
and low-priced 50mm lenses can have ... rather high resolutions.

I would be surprised if an entry level DSLR has 24 MP, but it's not
impossible if Nikon has a good deal on the sensors. Maybe Nikon want to
strengthen their position as the supplier of choice?

Or restart the megapixel race in the DSLR space.

Or provide greater differentiation between DSLR and CSC lines?

Could be ...

-Wolfgang
Old April 4th 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

"RichA" wrote in message
On Mar 30, 6:09 am, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

And more pixels will always get more out of the lens. Just not
necessarily nearly as much as the increased pixel count would
indicate.

Rich always looks at photos in 200% view, though ...

-Wolfgang

Are you all so blessed as to have so many lenses you never, ever have
to crop? Do you want 8 megapixels on that 1/4 page crop, or 3?

I prefer a zoom lens to cropping - I try to get the image I want in the
camera, not by post-processing. If I do need to crop, it's usually by a
small amount.

David

Old April 5th 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:58:57 +0100, "David J Taylor"
wrote:
: "RichA" wrote in message
: ...
: On Mar 30, 6:09 am, Wolfgang Weisselberg
: wrote:
: David J Taylor wrote:
:
:
: And more pixels will always get more out of the lens. Just not
: necessarily nearly as much as the increased pixel count would
: indicate.
:
: Rich always looks at photos in 200% view, though ...
:
: -Wolfgang
:
: Are you all so blessed as to have so many lenses you never, ever have
: to crop? Do you want 8 megapixels on that 1/4 page crop, or 3?
:
: I prefer a zoom lens to cropping - I try to get the image I want in the
: camera, not by post-processing. If I do need to crop, it's usually by a
: small amount.

What you're saying is that the 3:2 aspect ratio is usually Fine & Dandy for
your purposes. For some reason I find that I often have to crop to get the
picture to look right, and I made myself a table of aspect ratios (available
upon email request) to aid in that endeavor. To each his own artistic
judgement, I guess one would have to say.

Bob
Old April 5th 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 06:27:28 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
: On Apr 2, 7:16*pm, Bowser wrote:
: On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:14:23 -0500, Rich wrote:
: Scroll down 1/2 page. *A D3200 with 24mp. *Poor little 18-55mm kit lens, it
: won't know what hit it...
:
: http://nikonrumors.com/
:
: I wonder if anyone actually bought into that one? Good April Fool's
: joke.
:
: It seems to cut against Nikon's conservative grain when it comes to
: camera introductions. But it's possible that 24mp will be the
: baseline pixel count now, even for DX.

Well, they did go to 36MP wuile Canon was cutting back to a measly 24.

Bob
Old April 5th 12, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 5/04/2012 12:29 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 06:27:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
: On Apr 2, 7:16 pm, wrote:
: On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:14:23 -0500, wrote:
: Scroll down 1/2 page. A D3200 with 24mp. Poor little 18-55mm kit lens, it
: won't know what hit it...
:
: http://nikonrumors.com/
:
: I wonder if anyone actually bought into that one? Good April Fool's
: joke.
:
: It seems to cut against Nikon's conservative grain when it comes to
: camera introductions. But it's possible that 24mp will be the
: baseline pixel count now, even for DX.

Well, they did go to 36MP wuile Canon was cutting back to a measly 24.

Bob

They still have to be good pixels. The pixel density and other factors.

Looking at and comparing different images from differing brands under
field conditions, some are still far better than others.
Old April 5th 12, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

What you're saying is that the 3:2 aspect ratio is usually Fine & Dandy
for
your purposes. For some reason I find that I often have to crop to get
the
picture to look right, and I made myself a table of aspect ratios
(available
upon email request) to aid in that endeavor. To each his own artistic
judgement, I guess one would have to say.

Bob

Not, quite. With a 16:9 main display (HD TV), 3:2 isn't quite ideal, and
there is the problem of portrait format images. Better to have borders on
either side, or just take landscape? You might well crop, and you may
lose camera pixels, but you have fewer display pixels available as well.
Different if you're making prints, of course.

Cheers,
David

Old April 5th 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

RichA wrote:
On Mar 30, 6:09Â*am, Wolfgang Weisselberg
David J Taylor wrote:

And more pixels will always get more out of the lens. Â*Just not
necessarily nearly as much as the increased pixel count would
indicate.

Rich always looks at photos in 200% view, though ...

Are you all so blessed as to have so many lenses you never, ever have
to crop?

Now, RichA, yes, we do have lenses. For example, I can couple a
70-200mm f/2.8 IS with a 1.4x and 2x teleconverter (and still get
a better image and more resolution with 8 MPix than a cropped 24
MPix with a 200mm lens).

Cropping is only ever *required* for format changes (say 1:1).

In real life in 99% I crop only slightly, if at all.

Do you want 8 megapixels on that 1/4 page crop, or 3?

A 1/4 page is (usually) around 4.25" x 5.5", or 2.1 MPix at
300 dpi. 8 MPix at that size is 585 dpi --- total overkill.

So, yes, 3 Mpix is perfectly fine, thank you very much.

-Wolfgang
Old April 6th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-04-04 22:27 , Robert Coe wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:58:57 +0100, "David J Taylor"

: I prefer a zoom lens to cropping - I try to get the image I want in the
: camera, not by post-processing. If I do need to crop, it's usually by a
: small amount.

What you're saying is that the 3:2 aspect ratio is usually Fine& Dandy for
your purposes.

For some reason I find that I often have to crop to get the
picture to look right, and I made myself a table of aspect ratios (available
upon email request) to aid in that endeavor. To each his own artistic
judgement, I guess one would have to say.

Depending on the output a handful of "standard" aspect ratios is fine.

For some purposes the aspect ratio that works may be very unique.

Commercial studio photogs usually sell their work in standard frames or
albums.

There are some photographers who insist on pure-shooting/not-to-crop
photos (present exactly what is in the viewfinder), but that's a silly
restriction. It may be a good training tool, but a bad outlook on
presenting photos. It certainly does not account for the variety of
aspect ratios in cameras.

Personally I shoot the composition in frame - but I don't force it. If
it needs cropping and aspect ratio change, it's going to get it later.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.