Question For the new D700 Owner

Old July 7th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan[_8_]

Default Question For the new D700 Owner

I like the feel of the camera and the focusing is so quick. Shoting
at high ISO is great. It is one hell of a camera. Here are my
questions:

1. Do I get the Nikon extended warranty for 2 years? If I was a pro,
that would be a given.

2. Flash. I have an SB28 which isn't great for the D700 and you
can't use TTL. I can't seem to find SB800s and the SB900 is $475.

3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter and attach a power strip to it?

4. Is there any value to the Nikon Software or is Photoshop better.
Do you need both?

Old July 7th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter and attach a power strip to it?

The Nikon battery charger in universal from 100 to 240 V. You need only a
passive plug adaptor. The same for the laptop (normally)
--
Dimitris M

Old July 7th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Alan wrote:
3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter

Sometimes it seems, NGs are write-only. Didn't some guy asked exactly
the same question just a few days ago wrt. traveling between the US and
England? And a few days earlier traveling from the US to Japan?

Anyway, France has like almost all countries in Europe, Afrika, Asia and
Australia and the majority of countries in South America adopted the
nominal 240V/50Hz system.

- If your home country (you didn't say) has the same system, then at
most(!) you will need a plug adapter(*).
- If your charger(s) is/are universal (most of them are rated 110-250V,
50/60Hz nowadays) then at most you will need a plug adapter(*)
- If your charger is not rated for 240V/50Hz then you need a transformer
and a plug adapter. Transformers are expensive and heavy, therefore you
may want to check for alternative solutions, like maybe a car adapter,
which would allow you do charge your batteries from a car cigarette
lighter. Or get a cheap inverter for your home country's power system
and plug that into the car cigarette lighter in France.

*: "at most" means French E power outlets are compatible with the
two-prong euro-plug aka C-style plugs, which is very common for all
kinds of insulated devices from chargers to power drills.
*: Some chargers come with a detachable power cord. In that case instead
of a plug adapter you could also get a new cord with a C or E plug that
fits into the French E outlet.

and attach a power strip to it?

Well, yeah, sure. If you need more than one outlet a power strip is a
good idea as long as the total load doesn't exceed the transformers
capacity.

jue
Old July 7th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-07-07 07:49:55 -0700, Alan said:

I like the feel of the camera and the focusing is so quick. Shoting
at high ISO is great. It is one hell of a camera. Here are my
questions:

1. Do I get the Nikon extended warranty for 2 years? If I was a pro,
that would be a given.

Extended warranties are nothing but very expensive insurance policies.
If you need insurance, get insurance.

2. Flash. I have an SB28 which isn't great for the D700 and you
can't use TTL. I can't seem to find SB800s and the SB900 is $475.

The SB800 has been discontinued. You might find one used somewhere.

3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter and attach a power strip to it?

The camera's charger will accept 220. Yes, you can get a converter and
attach a power strip to it. I did this in the Philippines for years.

4. Is there any value to the Nikon Software or is Photoshop better.
Do you need both?

Nikon Capture NX2 is an excellent program, especially when coupled with
plug-ins such as Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0. The Nikon software has an
interface very similar to that of Nik; in fact, Nik representatives at
WPPI told me that they designed Capture's interface. Give it a good
graphics tablet and you have a very powerful tool.

That said, there are some things that only Photoshop will do. If you
want to change backgrounds, tuck tummies, merge photos, etc, then you
will need Photoshop. But Capture NX2 will handle everything else. It is
much better than Photoshop when it comes to selective editing, dodging
and burning, adjusting a particular color, adjusting sharpness to a
specific object in a picture, and things like that. Seemingly simple
things such as an offset vignette are easily done in a just a few steps
in Capture, but would require the use of several layers and numerous
steps in Photoshop. And the Photoshop version would still not look as
seamless.

The approach that Capture takes to editing is definitely different, but
the ability to select numerous control points and adjust each of them
for many different effects is amazingly powerful. The trick to any
editing, of course, is to know in advance how you want the picture to
look when you are done. Otherwise you are just messing around and will
end up with something that looks incoherent.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 7th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D. Peter Maus

On 07/07/09 09:49, Alan wrote:

2. Flash. I have an SB28 which isn't great for the D700 and you
can't use TTL. I can't seem to find SB800s and the SB900 is $475.

SB800 is discontinued. SB900 is AMAZING. And it's a superb match
to D700. Do what you can to spring for SB900. You'll never reget it.

3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter and attach a power strip to it?

You can. But that may not be necessary. Most P/S, today, are
switching supplies, and are input voltage irrelevant. Some can swing
between 90 and 240 volts with a passive plug adaptor alone. Your
power supply will have the input range printed/stamped/embossed on
it. Read it.

If you're thinking about a transformer you plug into the wall,
and then plug the power strip into it, must make sure your load
doesn't equal or exceed the rating of the transformer. If you're
thinking of plugging the power strip into the wall, and then plug
your power devices into the strip, get plug adaptor and a powerstrip
with an input rating equal or greater to the output at the wall.

4. Is there any value to the Nikon Software or is Photoshop better.
Do you need both?

I use and prefer the Nikon software. In fact, considering the
functionality that passes between your D700 and the software, you
might consider that your camera is incomplete without it.

You can use any software you wish. Most applications will have a
RAW converter built in, or a suitable available plug-in, but the
Nikon software can read and interpret your camera's custom settings.
As well, it can upload custom settings to your camera for much more
rapid shooting/processing/editing. This may be important depending
on what, and where you shoot. I've got a shoot this weekend, for
example, where I'll be expected to deliver finished photos before I
leave the site. Nikon software makes that setup to finished output
speed a lot easier.

But again, use what you're comfortable with.

As for warranty, your paperwork will make that clear. Or/and you
can check with your Nikon retailer, or Nikon, itself.

Old July 7th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas Krull

Hi!

Alan wrote:
1. Do I get the Nikon extended warranty for 2 years? If I was a pro,
that would be a given.

I leave this one to the users in your country, i live in Europe.
Here the conditions of warranty are different.

2. Flash. I have an SB28 which isn't great for the D700 and you
can't use TTL. I can't seem to find SB800s and the SB900 is $475.

I'd go for the SB900 it's a great speedlight for use with the D700 .
Or look for the SB800 in the market for used gear.

3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter and attach a power strip to it?

You onnly need an adapter for the prongs, the Nikon charger accepts
100-240 Volts, AC 50/60 Hertz.

4. Is there any value to the Nikon Software or is Photoshop better.
Do you need both?

Depends what you want to do. For RAW conversion the Nikon SW is best,
however on Mac, that's what i am runnung, it's a littly slow and not
very stable. I do not use Nikon SW at all but 'Aperture' (Mac only) for
RAW conversion, minor editing, tagging and as database for my pics.

Good luck and safe trip, thomas
--
Thomas Krull GPG 0x01EC2546

Old July 7th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message 2009070708412416807-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom
, C J Campbell writes
On 2009-07-07 07:49:55 -0700, Alan said:

I like the feel of the camera and the focusing is so quick. Shoting
at high ISO is great. It is one hell of a camera. Here are my
questions:
1. Do I get the Nikon extended warranty for 2 years? If I was a
pro,
that would be a given.

Extended warranties are nothing but very expensive insurance policies.
If you need insurance, get insurance.

In the UK Nikon give 2 years as standard.

2. Flash. I have an SB28 which isn't great for the D700 and you
can't use TTL. I can't seem to find SB800s and the SB900 is $475.

The SB800 has been discontinued. You might find one used somewhere.

There is still the SB600? You may still find old stock of SB800?

3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter and attach a power strip to it?

The camera's charger will accept 220. Yes, you can get a converter and
attach a power strip to it. I did this in the Philippines for years.

The standard Nikon charger works in the UK at 240V and down to 100V

Old July 7th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

2. Flash. I have an SB28 which isn't great for the D700 and you
can't use TTL. I can't seem to find SB800s and the SB900 is $475.

SB900 is to bulky for travel. Anyway with the D700 I can't imagine where
will you need the flash. In case of emergency, use the small flash of D700
with a small foldabe diffuser. So don't bother to carry the bulky flash in
Paris
--
Dimitris M

Old July 7th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
[...]

Actually a power strip from home is not a bad idea if you simply change the
plug to fit the local outlet, this works fine if all your devices are
100-250V compatible.

Pete

Old July 7th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Dimitris M" wrote in message
2. Flash. I have an SB28 which isn't great for the D700 and you
can't use TTL. I can't seem to find SB800s and the SB900 is $475.

SB900 is to bulky for travel. Anyway with the D700 I can't imagine where
will you need the flash. In case of emergency, use the small flash of D700
with a small foldabe diffuser. So don't bother to carry the bulky flash in
Paris
--
Dimitris M

With a guide number of only 17 it is not going to shed much light compared
to any external flash, this camera deserves better.