Adobe still forcing upgrades to PS to get new RAW converter

Old May 2nd 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Adobe still forcing upgrades to PS to get new RAW converter

On 2012-05-02 08:41 , RichA wrote:
I can't figure out why they keep using this strong-arm tactic, unless
they feel their incremental improvements to CS just do not matter much
to people anymore. Maybe it should be like the auto companies where

If Sony come out with a new FF camera then I'll just be forced to use
DNGConverter to make a DNG. That will work retroactively with ACR in CS5.

I have no intention of upgrading CS5 for many years.

--
"A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
-Samuel Clemens.

Old May 3rd 12, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Alan Browne" wrote:

I have no intention of upgrading CS5 for many years.

I was thinking of switching to Elements. I just moved to a new PC and the
dance of death involved in reloading seven versions of PS to get to the
point CS5 would load was ridiculous. Ditto for Office, so I just splurged on
full Office and Lightroom 4 packages.

So what does one miss with Elements?

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 3rd 12, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-05-02 19:42 , David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote:

I have no intention of upgrading CS5 for many years.

I was thinking of switching to Elements. I just moved to a new PC and

You should have gotten a Mac and then told Adobe you switched, DL'd the
latest demo CS5 and ask for a new key. All you would have had to do is
fax in an affidavit.

;-)

the dance of death involved in reloading seven versions of PS to get to
the point CS5 would load was ridiculous. Ditto for Office, so I just
splurged on full Office and Lightroom 4 packages.

So what does one miss with Elements?

It used to be that many functions in Elements were 8 bit/color. So when
working at 16 bit/color information was lost from the image on each
function. Hence one would do those functions last in the workflow if
possible.

I don't know if the most recent v. of Elements are now completely 16 bit
across all functions. If you're working at 16 bit and a function is not
available then you need to convert to 8 bit flow.

If you do very few manipulations on images it won't make much (or any)
visible difference.

(Note you can work at 32 bits/color in CS5 (and probably earlier) but
many functions are unavailable. Since cameras don't produce more that
16 bits per color (most are 12, 14; some 16) there's little advantage to
32 bit.)

Old May 3rd 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Thu, 3 May 2012 08:42:14 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote:

I have no intention of upgrading CS5 for many years.

I was thinking of switching to Elements. I just moved to a new PC and the
dance of death involved in reloading seven versions of PS to get to the
point CS5 would load was ridiculous. Ditto for Office, so I just splurged on
full Office and Lightroom 4 packages.

So what does one miss with Elements?

All the fancy bits! For example, in CS you can make the eraser any brush you
have, but in Elements it's simply an eraser tool, not adjustable.

You can download a sample of Elements and run it for a month and see for
yourself.

I just bought a new Dell computer and it came with Elements 9 for free. It's OK
for simple photo developing, but if you do stuff in LAB color mode for example -
you need CS. None of that fancy stuff is in Elements. You won't get the auto
HDR. I don't think you get smart objects either.

Old May 3rd 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

"David J. Littleboy" writes:

"Alan Browne" wrote:

I have no intention of upgrading CS5 for many years.

I was thinking of switching to Elements. I just moved to a new PC and
the dance of death involved in reloading seven versions of PS to get
to the point CS5 would load was ridiculous. Ditto for Office, so I
just splurged on full Office and Lightroom 4 packages.

So what does one miss with Elements?

No curves tool, so it's a complete loser for me. (There's a thing that
it *calls* a curves tool. It shows you the curve, and gives you 4
sliders to adjust the quarter points on the curve. No thanks.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old May 3rd 12, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 3/05/2012 11:42 a.m., David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote:

I have no intention of upgrading CS5 for many years.

I was thinking of switching to Elements. I just moved to a new PC and
the dance of death involved in reloading seven versions of PS to get to
the point CS5 would load was ridiculous. Ditto for Office, so I just
splurged on full Office and Lightroom 4 packages.

So what does one miss with Elements?

It's been a while since I last looked at Elements, but one area which
may be a problem is colour management for printing, soft-proofing and
gamut warning functions were either missing or incomplete.
I tend to not use PS for much - except printing, so an old version of PS
works fine for me - I have no intention of upgrading.

Old May 3rd 12, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

"Alan Browne" wrote:

I have no intention of upgrading CS5 for many years.

I was thinking of switching to Elements. I just moved to a new PC and
the dance of death involved in reloading seven versions of PS to get to
the point CS5 would load was ridiculous. Ditto for Office, so I just
splurged on full Office and Lightroom 4 packages.

So what does one miss with Elements?

ACR in Elements is not the ACR you get with CS.

It's been a while since I last looked at Elements, but one area which
may be a problem is colour management for printing, soft-proofing and
gamut warning functions were either missing or incomplete.
I tend to not use PS for much - except printing, so an old version of
PS works fine for me - I have no intention of upgrading.

I am quite happy with CS5 and if I am compelled to upgrade because of
some future unsupported RAW format, I would probably invest in a
Lightroom upgrade and use CS5 as an alternate editor from LR.

Unfortunately using PSE to process the RAW files is not the same as
using LR or ACR 6.7 with CS5. The version of ACR which is part of PSE
is crippled, missing many of the CS ACR features, and does a job not
much better than some of the RAW processing software provided by the
various camera manufacturers. From what I have seen, anybody moving
from CS3-CS5 to PSE merely to be able to process new unsupported RAW
files, is going to be disappointed. LR , or LR upgrade would be the
better choice. That would leave CS3-CS5 and all CS3-CS5 plugins intact
for use via LR.

Savageduck

Old May 3rd 12, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Me" wrote in message ...
On 3/05/2012 11:42 a.m., David J. Littleboy wrote:

So what does one miss with Elements?

It's been a while since I last looked at Elements, but one area which may
be a problem is color management for printing, soft-proofing and gamut
warning functions were either missing or incomplete.
I tend to not use PS for much - except printing, so an old version of PS
works fine for me - I have no intention of upgrading.

I print using Qimage, so that's not an issue. I wonder if Elements can
handle MF film scan size files?

There are also other photo editors out there that try to compete with PS,
but the problem with them _had_ been that the vast majority of discussions
of photo editing on the net have always been PS based. With LR being my main
photo tool, maybe I don't need that.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 3rd 12, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-05-03 16:42 , David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Me" wrote in message ...
On 3/05/2012 11:42 a.m., David J. Littleboy wrote:

So what does one miss with Elements?

It's been a while since I last looked at Elements, but one area which
may be a problem is color management for printing, soft-proofing and
gamut warning functions were either missing or incomplete.
I tend to not use PS for much - except printing, so an old version of
PS works fine for me - I have no intention of upgrading.

I print using Qimage, so that's not an issue. I wonder if Elements can
handle MF film scan size files?

Yes (half a gig filesize) was no issue if the computer could do it.
(6x6 scans @ 4000 dpi) on the PC which had 2 GB of RAM.

Never had Elements on the Mac (except as a brief demo).