Question For the new D700 Owner

Old July 8th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

Default Question For the new D700 Owner

In message , J. Clarke
writes
Shon Kei wrote:
multi stranded wire in the first place... Flexibility. That's why it
is forbidden to use multi stranded wire in walls of houses... It can
break! If you solder it, it is almost guaranteed to break in a
situation of movement of the cable!

Oh, holy CRAP.

Please quote the statement in NEC 2008

What is NEC2008?

that forbids the use of "multi
stranded wire" "in walls of houses".

IEE 16th Certainly did prohibit multi-strand cable.

Old July 8th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

Bob Larter wrote:
[]
Oh, it's not all bad. I certainly don't miss hand soldering the DB25
connectors for RS-232 cables.

My most recent project involved not only soldering for an RS232 DB-9
connector, but also drilling a hole in the connector to accommodate an LED
which was connected via a resistor to the DCD line to monitor the
pulse-per-second signal from a GPS. The GPS itself had 5-volt power leads
which I took to a modified USB lead. All this to get my Windows XP PC
working as an NTP server from a Garmin GPS18X LVC puck.

Cheers,
David

Old July 8th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

Oh, I do know and I use it when needed but...

....in travel photography I don't use fill-in flash, cause I don't take
portraits or family shoots. Anyway, if I need so the small in camera flash
is adequate. But even without fill-in at all, a RAW image at 200 ISO has at
least 4-5 EV headroom to develop high quality info from the shadows. That
way the result is more natural even from a gentle -2 EV fill in flash...

Travelling with D700, 24-70mm f2.8 and 2 or 3 more lenses, is already
difficult. To carry an SB900 on top of that is very difficult and is not
worth. That is the meaning of my first post. Of course if your style in
travel is to shoot mostly people, your family and friends, then for you it
may worth. But for that kind of photo's, D700 with SB900 is "to much".

And don't forget: The days are difficult to carry in public a big camera and
shoot people, if not your friends/family. Especially in London you will be
in great danger to be arrested. In Paris there are not so crazy about, but
if you use D700 + a big lens + SB900 in public, especially iif the flash
fires, you will became very "visible" to any stupid around. I guarantee that
if you shoot the painters in “Place du Tertre” in Monmartre or the outdoor
bookmans at the river Seine, with a big camera and flash, you will be abused
with a not so polite way.

--
Dimitris M

Ï "Wolfgang Weisselberg" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

Dimitris M wrote:
2. Flash. I have an SB28 which isn't great for the D700 and you
can't use TTL. I can't seem to find SB800s and the SB900 is $475.

Anyway with the D700 I can't imagine where
will you need the flash.

You probably can't imagine what a fill-in flash in full sunlight
can do for an image, either. Flash is not always used as the
main light source.

Old July 8th 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-07-07 09:50:58 -0700, Chris H said:

3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter and attach a power strip to it?

The camera's charger will accept 220. Yes, you can get a converter and
attach a power strip to it. I did this in the Philippines for years.

The standard Nikon charger works in the UK at 240V and down to 100V

I think what he was saying is that he needed a plug strip and wanted to
know if there was some sort of plug converter for it. Voltage and
polarity need not be changed. The short answer is yes. Of course, the
plug strip will still be delivering 240V, but you will now have a row
of outlets that fits all your chargers without having to buy additional
plug converters.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 8th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message 2009070809474175249-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom
, C J Campbell writes
On 2009-07-07 09:50:58 -0700, Chris H said:

3. 220 volts in Paris- There are a few things I will be needing to
charge. Can you get a converter and attach a power strip to it?
The camera's charger will accept 220. Yes, you can get a converter and
attach a power strip to it. I did this in the Philippines for years.

The standard Nikon charger works in the UK at 240V and down to 100V

I think what he was saying is that he needed a plug strip and wanted to
know if there was some sort of plug converter for it

Yes lots of them. Most travel places have plug convertors.

Old July 8th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

nospam wrote:
In article , J¸rgen Exner
wrote:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/rpd/h0009.htm

Don't tell me you soldered stranded wire? That is a major no-no.
Stranded wire must be crimped, never soldered. Soldering causes breaks
of the individual tiny wires where they enter the solder blob when the
wire is moved or bent, thus creating poor conductivity, which in turn
leads to heat buildup and in extreme cases even melting of the solder.

where in the world did you get that idea? soldering stranded wire
works just fine.

Sorry, you guys are right, I got a few things mixed up, indeed.

Not soldering stranded wire applies only to the end of a wire that is
fastened in a luster terminal or similar screw terminal.
In that case the pressure of the screw would deform the solder blob over
time and thus eventually loosen the connection, possibly creating poor
connectivity, sparks, and overheating.
Therefore in that case only crimped lugs are used.

jue
Old July 9th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Dimitris M wrote:
Oh, I do know and I use it when needed but...

.... you prefer to top post. Let's correct that:

You probably can't imagine what a fill-in flash in full sunlight
can do for an image, either. Flash is not always used as the
main light source.

...in travel photography I don't use fill-in flash, cause I don't take
portraits or family shoots.

Ah, you think that fill-in flash is only used for portraits
and "family shots" (whatever they are).

Anyway, if I need so the small in camera flash
is adequate.

Try that when the sun is shining and you have strong shadows
at the same time.

But even without fill-in at all, a RAW image at 200 ISO has at
least 4-5 EV headroom to develop high quality info from the shadows. That
way the result is more natural even from a gentle -2 EV fill in flash...

Have you ever tried to compare the two?

Travelling with D700, 24-70mm f2.8 and 2 or 3 more lenses, is already
difficult.

If you find that difficult, take a compact camera instead.

And don't forget: The days are difficult to carry in public a big camera and
shoot people, if not your friends/family. Especially in London you will be
in great danger to be arrested.

Different name, different language, different country, crossing
the channel: it must be handling photography the same way.
Much like cold war Moscow was handling free press the same
way New York did.

In Paris there are not so crazy about, but
if you use D700 + a big lens + SB900 in public, especially iif the flash
fires, you will became very "visible" to any stupid around. I guarantee that
if you shoot the painters in “Place du Tertre” in Monmartre or the outdoor
bookmans at the river Seine, with a big camera and flash, you will be abused
with a not so polite way.

What do you pay if your guarantee fails?
And where did I say you should always use flash, in every situation?

-Wolfgang
Old July 10th 09, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don B[_2_]

Shon Kei wrote:
Chris H wrote:
In message , Don B
writes
Jürgen Exner wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
I don't know what the plug is at the other end for a laptop, but I
do know
the Nikon charger uses a very standard plug that all computer
stores stock.
Yep, standardized as IEC-60320-C7
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_con...C8_connectors), very
very common for all sorts of low-power devices.
Now I find a six foot power cord to be unnecessary. So I have cut
mine down
to a foot and a half. I now need to cut down the European one. I'll
try to
get it down to a foot. Here is how I do it:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/rpd/h0009.htm
Don't tell me you soldered stranded wire? That is a major no-no.
Stranded wire must be crimped, never soldered. Soldering causes breaks
of the individual tiny wires where they enter the solder blob when the
wire is moved or bent, thus creating poor conductivity, which in turn
leads to heat buildup and in extreme cases even melting of the solder.
jue
I'm glad you told me that, I guess myself and every other person I
worked with for 38 years in the electrical/electronics field was
screwing up.

Me too... I was taught to solder stranded wire for aircraft systems...
It seems that the aero industry got it wrong. No wonder aircraft are
continually falling out of the sky...

I would rather rely on a solder joint anytime over a crimped joint.

Crimp is used because it is a fast cold system.... no need for an iron.
No need for the same level of skill. No dry joints etc no burnt
insulation, fingers etc etc

Oh Great! I spent $3k on a crimping machine for the rigging on my boat
when (silver)soldering the cables would not have created a weaker joint?

Now you tell me! After the 53 foot mast came crashing down in high seas
because some idiot ran out of crimps and silver soldered the uppermost
cable joints.

Boy... Have I got some news for you and it is all bad!

Forget the stainless rigging cable and focus for a moment on 240 volt, 3
core power leads. Are you seriously trying to say that a soldered joint
does not produce a weak point at either end of the join in a flexible
power lead? If you are I think you need a crash course in reality mate.

The only reason an Electrician has for soldering a joint is to ensure
electrical conductivity. Nothing at all to do with strength and
everything to do with single mindedness whilst neglecting the likelihood
of broken joints and discarding the purpose for using multi stranded
wire in the first place... Flexibility. That's why it is forbidden to
use multi stranded wire in walls of houses... It can break! If you
solder it, it is almost guaranteed to break in a situation of movement
of the cable!

You're comparing apples to oranges, what does a cable for a mast have to
do with electrical connections? As far as solid wire being stronger then
stranded I'll argue that point also, solid wire in a house doesn't get
moved. We had a couple of antique overhead cranes where I worked that
were wired with solid wire and 99% of the time when one of them went
down it was because the wire broke from vibration where it went into a
connector. We also had to use crimp connectors on the pendant cables
which were made up of stranded wire and we also had problems with
breakage where the wire went into a crimp connector.