Weather Resistance

Old June 12th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

Default Weather Resistance

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:09:42 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
rOn Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:59:39 -0800,
(Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

PatM wrote:

I've always wondered how much gas it would take to run my van
overnight for, say, 8 hours at an idle. It gets more than 20 mpg
but an even number like 20 is easier for the math. So at highway
speeds, it burns roughly 3 gallons per hour. If I drove for 8
hours straight I would burst a kidney ... oh, I mean it would
burn 24 gallons of fuel and be preciously near the bottom of the
25 gallon tank. So I know it would easily idle over night. So
it seems, as just a guess, that it would take about 5 gallons.
Anyone have any idea of what it would really take?

Not a good idea with a gasoline engine. Diesel engines on the
other hand are commonly run 24 hours a day.

Even with diesel engines its a good way to glaze bores and increase
oil consumption.

Perhaps so, but compared to what happens if the engine
is shutdown for 5 or 6 hours when it's -60F, that's just
small potatoes.

True, but a heater is the best answer.

Not at -60 it isn't, at least not unless you're talking about a block
heater. Shut down an engine at that temperature and it's not gonna start
again until spring. At least that was the case pre-synthetics--with
synthetic oil it might have a chance.

Old June 12th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 12-06-09 07:54, J. Clarke wrote:

Not at -60 it isn't, at least not unless you're talking about a block
heater. Shut down an engine at that temperature and it's not gonna start
again until spring. At least that was the case pre-synthetics--with
synthetic oil it might have a chance.

Block heaters are a trivial thing to install.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 12th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

Davidson) wrote:

PatM wrote:

[...]

At that temperature you want a tent and a hot air generator. You have
not only the oil and water to worry about but the battery and the fuel
as well.

Eric Stevens
Old June 12th 09, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Alan Browne wrote:
On 12-06-09 07:54, J. Clarke wrote:

Not at -60 it isn't, at least not unless you're talking about a block
heater. Shut down an engine at that temperature and it's not gonna start
again until spring. At least that was the case pre-synthetics--with
synthetic oil it might have a chance.

Block heaters are a trivial thing to install.

Generally that is true (it is not trivial to safely
install circulating heaters which are a major cause of
car fires), but misses the point anyway.

Block heaters do not keep the oil sump warm, hence with
non-synthetic oil at -60F it is possible to start the
engine, but it will not get lubrication for a *long*
time, if ever. Even with synthetic oil it will be
longer than is reasonable (something you might do once
or twice, but shouldn't even begin to think of on a
regular basis).

In the 1950's, before synthetic oil was available, the
common trick to keeping a vehicle operational in cold
weather was to remove the battery and drain the oil
immediately after shutting the engine down. Both were
then taken to a heated area and kept warm. The next day
the engine would be pre-heated, the battery and oil were
restored, and the engine restarted.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old June 12th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Davidson) wrote:

PatM wrote:

[...]

I assume you actually think that is true, eh? But you
actually don't know *anything* about cold weather...

Incidentally, what you've described is called a "heated
garage". It will probably surprise you to learn that
there are just as many problems with using a heated
garage as there are to parking a vehicle outside in the
cold. Think about water condensation...

In fact, to operate vehicles at -60F requires a block
heater, a heat pad on the oil pan and a heat pad on the
transmission. A battery heater is not required, but it
is actually a good idea to have a 1A trickle charger.
An interior heater is not essential, but it is extremely
nice to have.

The vehicle also has to have all Arctic grade
lubricants, synthetic oil, and proper coolant mix. Plus
it should be parked where it can be driven forward (not
reverse) to leave the parking spot, and ideally would
not have a turn sharper than a few degrees for perhaps
half a mile or so.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Old June 13th 09, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don B[_2_]

If he works for National Geographic do you think they worry to much
about equipment? If a piece of equipment gets wrecked it's probably
chalked up as part of the expense of doing the article.
Old June 13th 09, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

Don B wrote:
If he works for National Geographic do you think they worry to much
about equipment? If a piece of equipment gets wrecked it's probably
chalked up as part of the expense of doing the article.

If it gets wrecked before it gets the shot that is needed then it's chalked
up to not getting the article. When you're lugging something up Everest you
really don't want it to crap out 30 feet from the summit--on stuff like that
you don't _get_ a do-over.

Old June 13th 09, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

And it wouldn't at -20C (-36F) day temperatures.

-20C is 36 degrees F below freezing, but freezing is at 32F, so
it is actually -4F.

You're right, my fault.

-Wolfgang
Old June 13th 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:40:27 -0700 (PDT), PatM
wrote:
: It always seems colder in Canada. Our TV stations will report things
: like it's 28 degrees in Buffalo and negative 2 in Toronto.

'Cause we (in the US) are still happy with the Fahrenheit scale. If it ain't
broke, don't fix it! ;^)

Bob
Old June 13th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:
: It always seems colder in Canada. Our TV stations will report things
: like it's 28 degrees in Buffalo and negative 2 in Toronto.

'Cause we (in the US) are still happy with the Fahrenheit scale. If it ain't
broke, don't fix it! ;^)

The US government adopted the metric system as the primary system of
weights and measures in about 1890. Time folks caught up.
Unfortunately they put the mother of all loopholes in that law and
allowed imperial measures to continue for commerce. As a lot of trade
at the time was with the UK ...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.