35mm Film vs Digital again

Old December 21st 05, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default 35mm Film vs Digital again

Father Kodak wrote:
HoWw about film that was exposed, then frozen, but never developed?
Would you process it differently than unexpired film? Black and
white?

Color, say C-22 process? Can you even get that developed any longer?

I don't believe that is would make a difference if you exposed it first
and stored or stored and then exposed.

Scott

Old December 21st 05, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Scott W wrote:
Father Kodak wrote:
HoWw about film that was exposed, then frozen, but never developed?
Would you process it differently than unexpired film? Black and
white?

Color, say C-22 process? Can you even get that developed any longer?

I don't believe that is would make a difference if you exposed it first
and stored or stored and then exposed.

Yes, it does. Exposure definitely affects the film more than storage
does. I have seen rolls of film with several years of Chrstmases on
them (can you say 'low volume user'?), and the most recent ones showed
little colour shift, whereas the older ones were shifted.

Scott

Old December 21st 05, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Father Kodak wrote:

On 20 Dec 2005 11:27:09 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

Chris Loffredo wrote:

Just wondering (just in case the worse scenarios come true, however
unlikely), how long CAN frozen film last?

There are two areas that some care is needed for long term storage, one
is the background radiation and the other is cosmic rays. The
background radiation can be controlled by storing the film in something
have very low radioactivity. Cosmic rays are harder to control It
would appear you need a few meters of lead to stop a cosmic ray.
I believe it is mainly the background radiation that fogs film however
so just controlling that should help a lot. deep caves work as well.

With care I believe you could extend the life to a fair number of
years, lower ISO films lasting longer then high.

Scott

HoWw about film that was exposed, then frozen, but never developed?
Would you process it differently than unexpired film? Black and
white?

Color, say C-22 process? Can you even get that developed any longer?

Father Kodak

Yep. Not many places, but there are labs that specialize in old film.

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/oldfilm.htm
Old December 22nd 05, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Chris Loffredo wrote:
Colin D wrote:

Chris Loffredo wrote:

Just wondering (just in case the worse scenarios come true, however
unlikely), how long CAN frozen film last?

Until the manufacture and supply of developer runs out.

I've mixed my own developer & fixer many in the past - no problem there
(unless you are suggesting that chemicals will also disappear?)
Apparently even coffee can be used as a developer...

Then there was the guy who back in the 1970s was using water from
Toronto harbour. Just think what could have been done with water from
Lake Erie in that era!

Regards,

DAve