Blurred photo?

Old November 7th 17, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

Default Blurred photo?

Blurred photo? Instead of deleting it, software could make it sharp again

The end of low res and blurry images could be nigh.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...11364227072791

--
David B.
Old November 7th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , David B.
wrote:

Blurred photo? Instead of deleting it, software could make it sharp again

The end of low res and blurry images could be nigh.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...nce-software-e
nhancenet-sharpens-photos-11364227072791

Sorry, that's not a "photograph". It's an eye-pleasing reconstruction,
filling in details that don't actually exist. (³automated texture
synthesis² that aims to recreate realistic textures in images)
Old November 7th 17, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...ence-software-
enhancenet-sharpens-photos-11364227072791

Sorry, that's not a "photograph". It's an eye-pleasing reconstruction,
filling in details that don't actually exist. (³automated texture
synthesis² that aims to recreate realistic textures in images)

*all* photographs have some amount of what you call eye-pleasing
reconstruction and filling in details that don't actually exist.

computational photography is the next big thing.
Old November 7th 17, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 07/11/2017 18:03, nospam wrote:
In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

Blurred photo? Instead of deleting it, software could make it sharp again

The end of low res and blurry images could be nigh.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...ence-software-
enhancenet-sharpens-photos-11364227072791

Sorry, that's not a "photograph". It's an eye-pleasing reconstruction,
filling in details that don't actually exist. (³automated texture
synthesis² that aims to recreate realistic textures in images)

*all* photographs have some amount of what you call eye-pleasing
reconstruction and filling in details that don't actually exist.

computational photography is the next big thing.

But not the "image enhancement" that we first saw in Blade Runner and is
now almost obligatory in every forensic crime laboratory drama.
Old November 7th 17, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 12:48:01 -0500, Scott Schuckert wrote:

In article , David B.
wrote:

Blurred photo? Instead of deleting it, software could make it sharp again

The end of low res and blurry images could be nigh.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...nce-software-e
nhancenet-sharpens-photos-11364227072791

Sorry, that's not a "photograph". It's an eye-pleasing reconstruction,
filling in details that don't actually exist. (³automated texture
synthesis² that aims to recreate realistic textures in images)

I tend to agree. It would be a more significant demonstration if there were not only before
and after images, but also a nice, sharp, untouched, photo, taken at the same time, to compare.

--
croy
Old November 7th 17, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...ligence-softwa
re-
enhancenet-sharpens-photos-11364227072791

Sorry, that's not a "photograph". It's an eye-pleasing reconstruction,
filling in details that don't actually exist. (3automated texture
synthesis2 that aims to recreate realistic textures in images)

*all* photographs have some amount of what you call eye-pleasing
reconstruction and filling in details that don't actually exist.

computational photography is the next big thing.

But not the "image enhancement" that we first saw in Blade Runner and is
now almost obligatory in every forensic crime laboratory drama.

that's not intended to be real, and anything can be overdone.

plenty of film photos and movies 'reconstruct' reality.

it's just easier now.
Old November 8th 17, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 02:47:43 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 18:03:21 UTC, nospam wrote:
In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

Blurred photo? Instead of deleting it, software could make it sharp again

The end of low res and blurry images could be nigh.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...ence-software-
enhancenet-sharpens-photos-11364227072791

Sorry, that's not a "photograph". It's an eye-pleasing reconstruction,
filling in details that don't actually exist. (³automated texture
synthesis² that aims to recreate realistic textures in images)

*all* photographs have some amount of what you call eye-pleasing
reconstruction and filling in details that don't actually exist.

computational photography is the next big thing.

A bit like Synthehol, it'll catch on for those with limited appreciation of the real thing.

From what little I know I expect that in certain respects it will
exceed the capabilities of the real thing. Time will tell.

Eric Stevens
Old November 9th 17, 07:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 8/11/2017 3:32 @wiz, David B. wrote:
Blurred photo? Instead of deleting it, software could make it sharp again

The end of low res and blurry images could be nigh.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...11364227072791

Nup. Focus Magic walks all over the current crop of sharpening tools
and that one is just a reconstruction that is a guess at best...
Old November 9th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/9/2017 2:05 AM, Noons wrote:
On 8/11/2017 3:32 @wiz, David B. wrote:
Blurred photo? Instead of deleting it, software could make it sharp again

The end of low res and blurry images could be nigh.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...11364227072791

Nup.Â* Focus Magic walks all over the current crop of sharpening tools
and that one is just a reconstruction that is a guess at best...

I was reading the reviews of FM, they were quite favorable, if you
follow their tutorials. However, I have not seen any comparing CC 2018,
which seems to have decent sharpening filters. I did some quickies, and
did not see any significant difference, between FM and what I already
have. Having said that i really like the defocusing, but it is "not yet
available," as a plugin. But that is just my personal preference.

--
PeterN
Old November 9th 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Blurred photo? Instead of deleting it, software could make it sharp again

The end of low res and blurry images could be nigh.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phot...ence-software-
enhancenet-sharpens-photos-11364227072791

Sorry, that's not a "photograph". It's an eye-pleasing reconstruction,
filling in details that don't actually exist. (³automated texture
synthesis² that aims to recreate realistic textures in images)

*all* photographs have some amount of what you call eye-pleasing
reconstruction and filling in details that don't actually exist.

computational photography is the next big thing.

A bit like Synthehol, it'll catch on for those with limited appreciation of the real thing.

From what little I know I expect that in certain respects it will
exceed the capabilities of the real thing. Time will tell.

whatever that means.

So it'll give detail in an image that never actually existed or that it will leave out niose and other artifacts ?

The techniques might but strictly speaking an image which never
existed cannot be a photograph.

Eric Stevens