BBC Landscape pics of 2009

Old October 20th 09, 07:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

Default BBC Landscape pics of 2009

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8314105.stm
Holy ****e. What a mess.

I guess they love HDR.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8314105.stm
Holy ****e. What a mess.

I guess they love HDR.

Indeed - some fine examples of the awful images HDR can produce.

David

Old October 20th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8314105.stm
Holy ****e. What a mess.

I guess they love HDR.

Indeed - some fine examples of the awful images HDR can produce.

I can imagine them being considered "striking", but only
by someone who's never seen extreme tone mapping before.

(there's nothing *intrinsicially* wrong with HDR IMHO).

Who were the judges, and what were the criteria?

BugBear
Old October 20th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8314105.stm
Holy ****e. What a mess.

I guess they love HDR.

Indeed - some fine examples of the awful images HDR can produce.

I can imagine them being considered "striking", but only
by someone who's never seen extreme tone mapping before.

(there's nothing *intrinsicially* wrong with HDR IMHO).

Who were the judges, and what were the criteria?

BugBear

Agreed there is nothing intrinsically wrong with HDR. It is a useful
tool in the right circumstances, where lighting and subject are
problematic. However it has become the trend to avoid the subtle
capture of a wider dynamic range, and overdo the processing to create
the surreal Thomas Kinkaide nightmare we see so frequently now.

HDR has unfortunately become an artistic cliche which detracts from a
pleasing image. It needs to return to its role of subtle image
adjustment tool.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

On 2009-10-20 06:20:45 -0700, bugbear

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

[...]

I thought the winner in the phone section (!) was the best of the
bunch--black and white, little apparent manipulation. I've seen some
very nice results from HDR, but I felt that all the winners would have
been improved by not applying it, other than the two BWs.
Allen
Old October 20th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

[...]

The "Kllnsey Show feel race" shot may be B&W, but there was obvious HDR
processing applied before the B&W conversion making it even worse than
some of the color renditions.
The B&W phone shot just seems to be a dumb accident converted to B&W to
save something. Its only redeeming quality is that it got nowhere near
Photomatix.

The problem with this competition seems to be the judges.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil

In message 2009102008282293099-savageduck@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
writes

On 2009-10-20 06:20:45 -0700, bugbear

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8314105.stm
Holy ****e. What a mess.
I guess they love HDR.

Try these:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/pi.../Mountain-Magi
c-Photographs-of-mountainscapes-in-Britain-by-Van-Greaves.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/yg8wt7b

"Amazing pictures of Britain's landscapes and mountains can be seen in a
new book by Van Greaves featuring some of the most breathtaking images
of nature ever recorded on British soil "

Neil
Old October 20th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2009-10-20 06:20:45 -0700, bugbear

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8314105.stm
Holy ****e. What a mess.
I guess they love HDR.

Try these:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/pi.../Mountain-Magi
c-Photographs-of-mountainscapes-in-Britain-by-Van-Greaves.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/yg8wt7b

"Amazing pictures of Britain's landscapes and mountains can be seen in a
new book by Van Greaves featuring some of the most breathtaking images
of nature ever recorded on British soil "

Nice cite of a good site!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/6316605/Mountain-Magic-Photographs-of-mountainscapes-in-Britain-by-Van-Greaves.html?image=2

The tiny works, but I am wanting to see if the URL remains intact via
Thunderbird. It's broken according to T-bird, though some newsreaders
will have put it back together even when on two lines, when it's in
brackets.

--
john mcwilliams
Old October 20th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Gartshore[_3_]

In article , david-
lid says...
On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8314105.stm
Holy ****e. What a mess.

I guess they love HDR.

Indeed - some fine examples of the awful images HDR can produce.

David

Phew, glad others think this too..

--
Tony.
Old October 21st 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

On 2009-10-20 06:20:45 -0700, bugbear

On 2009-10-19 22:48:21 -0700, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

[...]

Came out fine in Forte Agent.

2009 MJK Digital Photography 0 January 5th 09 12:12 PM
d70 transport pics.all 1600 iso hand held.all pics taken at museum of trans glasgow uk. MarkČ Digital Photography 1 January 14th 05 09:43 PM
d70 transport pics.all 1600 iso hand held.all pics taken at museum of trans glasgow uk. tbm Digital Photography 1 January 14th 05 02:51 AM
d70 trans pics...1600 iso hand held (all pics) tbm Digital Photography 0 January 14th 05 01:58 AM
d70 trans pics...1600 iso hand held (all pics) tbm Digital Photography 0 January 14th 05 01:58 AM