The most awesome strap in the universe . . .

Old August 6th 11, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Default The most awesome strap in the universe . . .

Okay, so my experience with neck straps is limited due to a neck injury
10 years ago that makes the usual neck strap uncomfortable with my 5D
and even a small lens. I have been using a holster case that I can strap
over one shoulder and then across my chest/back to the opposite hip.
That is the most comfortable solution for me but it is bulky. While I
can use a regular strap over the shoulder in the same fashion, the strap
grabs my clothes and must slide around my body in order the bring the
strap up. If I don't put it over my head, the strap tends to fall off my
shoulder. I ran across this strap system online and immediately bought one.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/

These things have probably been around awhile, but I've just found them.
It works on my 5D perfect and even on my Olympus E-P2 pretty well. Does
anyone else use one of these?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old August 6th 11, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 8/6/2011 12:34 AM, Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't be without it. I have both the single and double camera models.
they save a lot of wear an tear on my back and neck.

--
Peter
Old August 6th 11, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-08-05 21:34:32 -0700, Eric Miller
said:

[...]

Yup! The Blackrapid strap is essential as far as I am concerned once
the DSLR moves into the weighty area.
No neck pain is very good, especially if you are lugging that camera
for any length of time.

The only drawback I can see, is the inconvenience when it comes to
tripod mounting. For now, if I plan Tripod use I have a quick release
plate handy to replace the Blackrapid fitting.

Savageduck

Old August 6th 11, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 23:34:32 -0500, Eric Miller
wrote:

[...]

They've been around and promoted for quite a while. I looked at one,
but didn't buy it because I keep my tripod quick-change plate
permanently attached to my camera body. I could see the benefit of
it, but it was offset by the loss of not being able to quickly mount
my camera on my tripod. I don't have a lens with a tripod socket.

If you don't use a tripod frequently, it would be a good accessory.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 6th 11, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
otter

On Aug 6 2011 12:34 AM, Eric Miller wrote:

These things have probably been around awhile, but I've just found them.
It works on my 5D perfect and even on my Olympus E-P2 pretty well. Does
anyone else use one of these?

I have one. Like it a lot.

There are solutions to the tripod QR plate issue. Some plates (like RRS)
have extra screw holes that you can attach the strap to. Some people use
a quick release clamp on their strap to attach to the QR plate on the
camera. If you use the Manfrotto system, there is special screw that you
can use to clip the strap to, instead of the D-ring.

I think the strap is pretty safe to use, if you are diligent about
checking the connections, but there have been cases reported where the
camera detached from the strap and hit the ground. Probably much less
than 1% of users (just a WAG) have problems, but if you are that guy, it
could ruin your day. I use a clip-on tether as a backup, just for peace
of mind.

And, there is a knock-off version that from reports is both cheaper and
better made. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks pretty good. Google
around to find it.

__________________________________________________ ______________________*

Old August 8th 11, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

On 2011-08-05 21:34:32 -0700, Eric Miller
said:

[...]

Another drawback I see is in using a grip - the mounting hardware of the strap
make it uncomfortable to hold your hand on the grip when holding the camera in
"portrait" mode. A cure for this is to mount the strap to the camera eyelet
using a split O-ring.

Old August 8th 11, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-08-05 21:34:32 -0700, Eric Miller
said:

[...]

I use the Blackrapid strap with my D300s + MB-D10 and shooting in
"portrait" orientation is not an issue for me, and isn't at all
uncomfortable. That said I do have big ham hands.

I don't believe using a single camera eyelet to support the weight of
camera and grip is a great idea. A single point bearing that 5.5-6.5 Lb
load (depending on lens) is more likely to fail. Those eyelets are
meant to share the load.

Also when using a fat lens such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 the Blackrapid
strap attached to the lens makes carrying that camera lens combo a bit
safer, when using it hand held.

Savageduck

Old August 9th 11, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 8/8/2011 10:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
snip
I use the Blackrapid strap with my D300s + MB-D10 and shooting in
"portrait" orientation is not an issue for me, and isn't at all
uncomfortable. That said I do have big ham hands.

I don't believe using a single camera eyelet to support the weight of
camera and grip is a great idea. A single point bearing that 5.5-6.5 Lb
load (depending on lens) is more likely to fail. Those eyelets are meant
to share the load.

Also when using a fat lens such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 the Blackrapid
strap attached to the lens makes carrying that camera lens combo a bit
safer, when using it hand held.

I agree that mounting on the lens would give better balance.
You just gave me an idea.
I have an extra tripod for for my 70 - 200. I can fit one with ay quick
release and the other for my Black Rapid. When I want to use a tripod,
it's just a matter of snapping off one foot and snapping in the other.

--
Peter
Old August 9th 11, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

On 2011-08-05 21:34:32 -0700, Eric Miller
said:

[...]

"Big Ham Hands"? LOL. I don't have large hands so perhaps that's why it feels
cumbersome in my hands.

I don't believe using a single camera eyelet to support the weight of camera
and grip is a great idea. A single point bearing that 5.5-6.5 Lb load
(depending on lens) is more likely to fail. Those eyelets are meant to share
the load.

That's why I use the Op/Tech Sling Strap. It mounts to the camera eyelet and
the grip eyelet. Since this is not a perfect setup, there are drawbacks. when
shooting in portrait orientation, the strap can get in your way but it is easy
to disconnect one or both of the connections. When I find the strap interfering
when shooting in portrait orientation, I just unsnap the buckle on the end that
attaches to the grip. The cost of the Op/Tech is reasonable too, about $ 20.00.

Also when using a fat lens such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 the Blackrapid strap
attached to the lens makes carrying that camera lens combo a bit safer, when
using it hand held.

With an R-Strap, I would carry my 70-200mm lens on my camera with the strap
mounted to the lens. I wouldn't let it just hang by my side, I would always
keep a hand on it, but that's just me.

Savageduck

Old August 10th 11, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
otter

On Aug 9 2011 8:37 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:

"Savageduck" wrote in message

Also when using a fat lens such as the 70-200mm f/2.8 the Blackrapid strap
attached to the lens makes carrying that camera lens combo a bit safer,

when
using it hand held.

With an R-Strap, I would carry my 70-200mm lens on my camera with the strap
mounted to the lens. I wouldn't let it just hang by my side, I would always
keep a hand on it, but that's just me.

Unless I'm going to use a tripod, I have a monopod attached to the 70-200,
and the R strap attached to the body. It travels just fine by my hip with
the monopod either collapsed, or partially collapsed with the leg
sticking up by my shoulder. I always keep one hand on it, like you say.

I can't see extensively handholding the 70-200, although I do it sometimes
with the monopod collapsed if I don't have time to set up.