Does this photo look weird?

Old January 15th 11, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Does this photo look weird?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old January 15th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Markus Fuenfrocken

"Alan Browne"wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

Reminded me of Prince´s Love symbol right away:
http://991.com/NewGallery/Prince-Lov...-Dis-16035.jpg

Old January 15th 11, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2011.01.15 16:03 , Markus Fuenfrocken wrote:
"Alan Browne"wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

Reminded me of Prince´s Love symbol right away:
http://991.com/NewGallery/Prince-Lov...-Dis-16035.jpg

Good spot! Though I thought that was "the symbol for the artist
formerly known as Prince"?

But not what I was referring to wrt to weirdness.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Old January 15th 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

Looks to me to be coincidental. Like snow banks piled up in the culdesacs
and the lighting making it look that "other worldly" effect.
Seems to glow, doesn't it?

Old January 15th 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

I guess it's supposed to look uncomfortable, the story is about the
toxic asphalt used there. It does look bleak.
Old January 15th 11, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2011.01.15 16:08 , Tim Conway wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

Looks to me to be coincidental. Like snow banks piled up in the
culdesacs and the lighting making it look that "other worldly" effect.
Seems to glow, doesn't it?

Yes. I'm beginning to see that the fill light (open shade areas) blue
sort of complements the beige/brown/green of the grass with the grey of
the streets - still - eerie.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old January 16th 11, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joe Makowiec

On 15 Jan 2011 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, John A. wrote:

It still strikes me as being possibly tone-mapped or otherwise
processed some to bring up the shadows a bit, though. Maybe. It would
have to be with a single shot, though, I would think, given that the
angle implies it was taken from an aircraft.

I dunno. Given that today's dSLRs can take 5-10 frames per second, that
they can auto-bracket, and that high-dynamic-range (HDR) software can do
at least minimal auto-aligning, I don't think that it's out of the
question that it's an HDR image.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old January 16th 11, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-01-15 19:16:11 -0800, Joe Makowiec said:

On 15 Jan 2011 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, John A. wrote:

It still strikes me as being possibly tone-mapped or otherwise
processed some to bring up the shadows a bit, though. Maybe. It would
have to be with a single shot, though, I would think, given that the
angle implies it was taken from an aircraft.

I dunno. Given that today's dSLRs can take 5-10 frames per second, that
they can auto-bracket, and that high-dynamic-range (HDR) software can do
at least minimal auto-aligning, I don't think that it's out of the
question that it's an HDR image.

It is quite possible to do 32-bit, single frame tone-mapping.

Savageduck

Old January 16th 11, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

Weird, no, but unusual yes. Just the angles of view and of the sun, the
repeated patterns, and the slightly hazy atmosphere. You sometimes get
similar helicopter shots elsewhere, such as occasional photos in the
Guardian Eyewitness series:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/series/eyewitness

(also an app for the iPad).

Cheers,
David

Old January 16th 11, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

"otter" wrote in message
[]
It looks like fill light was used to open up the shadows, but I
wouldn't say it's much more than that. It's just the light from that
time of day causing the "glow".

... and perhaps some contribution from the reflected snow?

David