Speaking of Olympus and 4/3 . . .

Old September 28th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Default Speaking of Olympus and 4/3 . . .

I was looking for a replacement for my Canon Powershot G2 as a walking
around camera (really, my 5D is almost smaller than that old dinosaur)
and had every intention of buying a G11. So on a trip to Chicago last
week I took a trip by Calumet. I had looked at sample shots between the
G11 and Digital Pens and after some extraordinarily helpful assistance
from a Calumet employee (I don't remember her name, but she definitely
went above and beyond) and after handling both the E-PL1 and E-P2, I
decided on a Pen E-P2 (my sister has a G10 so I was pretty familiar with
it already). I couldn't be happier. There really is nothing quite like
the M4/3 cameras out there right now. They only had the kit with the
17mm 2.8 Pancake lens, but that turned out to be a perfect walking
around combo. I stitched this from two of my first shots taken the next day:

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=2441268

BTW, the moiré on the building in the background was somehow added when
I resized the image for posting. That is one fun little camera . . . and
it is smaller than my G2, though I would have liked a flip-out screen.
I'll be getting the EVF as soon as I can afford it.

Oh, and I cannot say enough about Calumet. They let me try out an E-PL1,
and an E-P2, let me swap batteries because one was dead, made sure that
I dealt with the person most familiar with the Olympus Pens, spent 30
minutes answering my questions and letting me go through the menus, etc.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old September 28th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

On 9/28/2010 4:20 PM, Rich wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:54 pm, Eric
wrote:
[...]

That is good, but then again, it should be their normal job. Not just
telling soccer moms which camera to buy. Without service in stores,
the ability to try out products, they might as well be internet buying
sites.

I don't know the last time you ever went to Calumet. Eric is right. In
my dealings with Calumet over the years I have found them to be
responsive to my needs, reliable and ethical in all their dealings. Any
issues I ever had were resolved fairly and to my satisfaction.

--
Peter
Old September 29th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

peter wrote in
:

On 9/28/2010 4:20 PM, Rich wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:54 pm, Eric
wrote:
[...]

I didn't say there were any issues. I just stated that you should expect
good service in a store, service that makes them more valuable than an
internet source. If a store doesn't deliver it, it should go bankrupt.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/imag...53234/original
Old September 30th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

On 9/29/2010 6:04 PM, Rich wrote:
wrote in
:

On 9/28/2010 4:20 PM, Rich wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:54 pm, Eric
wrote:
[...]

Fortunately survival of a business will be determined by the
marketplace, not by moralizing proclamations.

--
Peter
Old October 1st 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

On 9/30/2010 6:23 PM, Rich wrote:
On Sep 29, 7:57 pm, wrote:
On 9/29/2010 6:04 PM, Rich wrote:

wrote in
:

On 9/28/2010 4:20 PM, Rich wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:54 pm, Eric
wrote:
[...]

Yeah, like how the marketplace drove 25 million production jobs to
China so Americans can buy cut rate S--- from Walmart. That's some
brag.

You excel at sounding like an uneducated person who has no fundamental
knowledge of business, economics and marketing.

I am not about to even attempt to teach you.
Bye

--
Peter
Old October 2nd 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:23:06 -0700 (PDT), Rich wrote:
: On Sep 29, 7:57*pm, peter wrote:
: Fortunately survival of a business will be determined by the
: marketplace, not by moralizing proclamations.
:
: Yeah, like how the marketplace drove 25 million production jobs to
: China so Americans can buy cut rate S--- from Walmart. That's some
: brag.

And where do Canadians buy their cut rate S---? Whoever sells it, I'll bet
that it too is made in China.

Bob
Old October 2nd 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

On 10/1/2010 9:17 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:23:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
: On Sep 29, 7:57 pm, wrote:
: Fortunately survival of a business will be determined by the
: marketplace, not by moralizing proclamations.
:
: Yeah, like how the marketplace drove 25 million production jobs to
: China so Americans can buy cut rate S--- from Walmart. That's some
: brag.

And where do Canadians buy their cut rate S---? Whoever sells it, I'll bet
that it too is made in China.

There is a major issue now with corrosive wallboard, made in China. The
wallboard has been coming in for years. (the problem is so widespread
that the IRS has issued a "safe harbor" ruling on claiming the damage as
a casualty loss.

WTF ere the inspectors who were supposed to be checking the stuff. Yes,
The Chinese are doing nothing more than American manufacturers would do
the same thing if they thought they could get away with it.

--
Peter