NEW SANDISK COMPACT MEMORY CARD BACKWARD COMPATIBLE IN COOLPIX3100??

Old August 29th 04, 07:30 PM
Joseph E. Shea, Jr.

Default NEW SANDISK COMPACT MEMORY CARD BACKWARD COMPATIBLE IN COOLPIX3100??

Does the newer faster SanDisk Compact Flash Card offer any speed advantage
in a Nikon Coolpix 3100 should I just stick with the original stock SanDisk
cards when buying more memory???

Thank You in advance for any help / advice
8/2/9/2004
14:30 EDT
--
Best Regards,
Joe Shea

Old August 30th 04, 02:43 AM
Jean-Paul Bataille

On the same subject, a newbie question :
what is, generally speaking, the influence of the writing speed of a
memory card, on the delay between two shots ?
As I understand, informations must be written on the card in order for
the camera to take another shot. The quantity of data depends of the
format choosen, the level of compression, etc...
For ex., on a Coolpix 5700, a RAW format weights around 7 MB, meaning
that, with the 60x generation of card, it takes less than one second
to write. And of course more with less recent cards.
This delay can be significantly annoying.
So I would like to know if it's worth buying speedier cards.
Can someone of you knowledgeable gentlemen enlighten me ?

Jean-Paul Bataille

Old August 30th 04, 03:02 AM
Frank ess

Jean-Paul Bataille wrote:
On the same subject, a newbie question :
what is, generally speaking, the influence of the writing speed of a
memory card, on the delay between two shots ?
As I understand, informations must be written on the card in order for
the camera to take another shot. The quantity of data depends of the
format choosen, the level of compression, etc...
For ex., on a Coolpix 5700, a RAW format weights around 7 MB, meaning
that, with the 60x generation of card, it takes less than one second
to write. And of course more with less recent cards.
This delay can be significantly annoying.
So I would like to know if it's worth buying speedier cards.
Can someone of you knowledgeable gentlemen enlighten me ?

I believe the majority of current cameras, including the CP5700 are
limited by the native buffer size and camera read-write speed, rather
than card speed. Use of a card reader connected either by FireWire or
USB2 is where the speed of the card shows up.

The CP8700 takes advantage of the WriteAssist in Lexar cards, as do
several other cameras. The difference between CP5700 and CP8700 write
times on the same (40X) Lexar card is remarkable. I can't testify about
buffer sizes, or other cards.

--
Frank ess