Canon's tips for semi-pros

Old April 28th 09, 11:39 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Bertram Paul

Default Canon's tips for semi-pros

I'm starting to wonder about the IQ (not meaning Image Quality) of Canon
shooters or at least how Canon seems to "rate" them.
These are Tips for semi-pros:

"Individual portraits and group photographs
The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field. Use a larger
aperture for an individual portrait
(for example F8). This will accentuate the person you are photographing. If
you would you like to shoot
a group photograph in which everyone is sharply in focus, select a smaller
aperture, for example F16.
Try using both possibilities step by step in a single situation and compare
the results with each other.
Look especially at depth and blur."

I guess it was too difficult for them to include information about the
difference between tele and wide angle lenses.
Maybe that's in the real Pro advice?

"If your camera allows *this, you can adjust the light metering
yourself. Consider beforehand which part of the photograph
you want to be properly lit. **In the case of a portrait, this will
usually be the face. With 'partial spot metering' you can
measure very precisely. Certainly in difficult situations,
such as high contrasts, this can be worthwhile."

*LOL, which "semi-pro" shoots with a camera that doesn't allow this?
Caramba! Even my old crappy Powershot has 3 different light metring modes.
**I wouldn't have guessed this one....

--
---
Bertram Paul

Old April 28th 09, 11:53 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Me

Bertram Paul wrote:
[...]

I know it seems lame, but take a look at the forums on DPReview, and
you'll see people posting even dumber questions in the "serious" camera
forums (ie 1D/s 5d and D1-D3). Many of them have listed in their profile
many thousands of dollars worth of new equipment that reads like a list
of "must have best" gear compiled by people who do know - but usually
can't afford it.
Old April 28th 09, 12:31 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Robert Spanjaard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:39:20 +0100, Bertram Paul wrote:

I'm starting to wonder about the IQ (not meaning Image Quality) of Canon
shooters or at least how Canon seems to "rate" them. These are Tips for
semi-pros:

Too bad you didn't provide a link. I'd love to become a semi-pro through
their tips. :-)

"If your camera allows *this, you can adjust the light metering
yourself. Consider beforehand which part of the photograph you want to
be properly lit. **In the case of a portrait, this will usually be the
face. With 'partial spot metering' you can measure very precisely.
Certainly in difficult situations, such as high contrasts, this can be
worthwhile."

*LOL, which "semi-pro" shoots with a camera that doesn't allow this?

The ones still relying on old manual equipment? I happen to know one who
still does weddings and portraits with a Rolleiflex DLR.
OTOH, he doesn't really need this advice anymore. :-)

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old April 28th 09, 01:55 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
whisky-dave

"Robert Spanjaard" wrote in message
l.net...
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:39:20 +0100, Bertram Paul wrote:

I'm starting to wonder about the IQ (not meaning Image Quality) of Canon
shooters or at least how Canon seems to "rate" them. These are Tips for
semi-pros:

Too bad you didn't provide a link. I'd love to become a semi-pro through
their tips. :-)

"The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field. Use a larger
aperture for an individual portrait"
I used the above and googled it. (including the quotes)
not 1000s of suggested links just the one.

http://www.skydweller.co.uk/Camera/P...s14_464704.pdf

*LOL, which "semi-pro" shoots with a camera that doesn't allow this?

The ones still relying on old manual equipment? I happen to know one who
still does weddings and portraits with a Rolleiflex DLR.
OTOH, he doesn't really need this advice anymore. :-)

My[1] Polaroid land 110B nealry fell of the shelf yesterday.

[1] well I rescued it from it's future in a skip, it can now be stored on a
shelf
until I lose it

Old April 28th 09, 02:16 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Robert Spanjaard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:55:27 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

Too bad you didn't provide a link. I'd love to become a semi-pro
through their tips. :-)

"The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field. Use a larger
aperture for an individual portrait"
I used the above and googled it. (including the quotes) not 1000s of
suggested links just the one.

http://www.skydweller.co.uk/Camera/P...s14_464704.pdf

So, anyone switching off automatic modes is a semi-pro, _if_ you take it
out of its context. It clearly fits the brochure as a whole...

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old April 28th 09, 11:01 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Alan Browne

Bertram Paul wrote:

*LOL, which "semi-pro" shoots with a camera that doesn't allow this?
Caramba! Even my old crappy Powershot has 3 different light metring modes.
**I wouldn't have guessed this one....

The definition of a semi-pro can be anyone who sold one photograph
regardless of what went into it. I know of one guy who got into wedding
photography starting with a high end P&S. He evolved into doing some
decent work, I just cringe for all of his earlier clients who paid for
his self education...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 29th 09, 01:15 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Rich[_6_]

"Avoid problems with equipment in the field, buy Nikon?"

Old April 29th 09, 03:37 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Mr.T

"Robert Spanjaard" wrote in message
el.net...
So, anyone switching off automatic modes is a semi-pro, _if_ you take it
out of its context. It clearly fits the brochure as a whole...

Nah they consider anyone buying an SLR to be a "semi-pro" even if they only
use auto modes. Anyone who knows how to actually use the controls is
obviously a "pro" :-)

MrT.

Old April 29th 09, 03:59 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Me

Alan Browne wrote:
I know of one guy who got into wedding
photography starting with a high end P&S. He evolved into doing some
decent work, I just cringe for all of his earlier clients who paid for
his self education...

I cringe for the people who pay large sums of money to have "artistic"
wedding photos done, often printed and bound into large wedding photo
"books" these days, or even worse gross mural sized prints in faux gilt
frames for display somewhere. I feel a bit the same way about large
(and usually B&W) prints of baby photos.
Few people are worthy of such glorious treatment, including babies.
But if the client is happy, then the pro did his job perfectly,
regardless of cost or equipment used.
Old April 29th 09, 05:30 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
spacecadet

Me wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
I know of one guy who got into wedding photography starting with a
high end P&S. He evolved into doing some decent work, I just cringe
for all of his earlier clients who paid for his self education...

I cringe for the people who pay large sums of money to have "artistic"
wedding photos done, often printed and bound into large wedding photo
"books" these days, or even worse gross mural sized prints in faux gilt
frames for display somewhere. I feel a bit the same way about large
(and usually B&W) prints of baby photos.
Few people are worthy of such glorious treatment, including babies.
But if the client is happy, then the pro did his job perfectly,
regardless of cost or equipment used.

I venture to suggest that a good part of what you pay a professional
is actually insurance. Or rather assurance that you will definitely have
something decent at the end of the day.