Does this photo look weird?

Old January 16th 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Does this photo look weird?

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:18:56 -0800 (PST), otter
wrote:
: On Jan 15, 8:17*pm, John A. wrote:
: On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:08:43 -0500, "Tim Conway"
:
: wrote:
:
: "Alan Browne" wrote in message
: m...
:
: http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg
:
: Looks to me to be coincidental. *Like snow banks piled up in the culdesacs
: and the lighting making it look that "other worldly" effect.
: Seems to glow, doesn't it?
:
: Well, snow does tend to melt more slowly in shady areas, so it's not
: so surprising it would tend to be in the shadows of any given daylight
: shot.
:
: It still strikes me as being possibly tone-mapped or otherwise
: processed some to bring up the shadows a bit, though. Maybe. It would
: have to be with a single shot, though, I would think, given that the
: angle implies it was taken from an aircraft.
:
: It was taken pretty close to sunset, I believe, judging from the long
: shadows. I would bet that North is diagonally to the bottom right.
: The road with the cul-de-sac probably runs North-South.
:
: It looks like fill light was used to open up the shadows, but I
: wouldn't say it's much more than that. It's just the light from that
: time of day causing the "glow".

It would take a mighty powerful source to provide fill light for a scene like
that. And such a source could hardly have been anywhere near the camera. At
most one of the building roofs appears to be illuminated from the direction of
the viewer.

Bob
Old January 16th 11, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:

: It looks like fill light was used to open up the shadows, but I
: wouldn't say it's much more than that. It's just the light from that
: time of day causing the "glow".

It would take a mighty powerful source to provide fill light for a scene like
that. And such a source could hardly have been anywhere near the camera. At
most one of the building roofs appears to be illuminated from the direction of
the viewer.

First off he said it looks "like".

In post, camera raw import has a "fill light" adjustment which lightens
up the darker areas of the scene. Can also be achieved in editing with
curves.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old January 16th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2011.01.16 11:34 , otter wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:19 am, Robert wrote:

It would take a mighty powerful source to provide fill light for a scene like
that. And such a source could hardly have been anywhere near the camera. At
most one of the building roofs appears to be illuminated from the direction of
the viewer.

Bob

A powerful source? How powerful is photoshop?

More powerful than any light on earth as far as emulating fill light goes.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old January 16th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2011.01.15 16:53 , Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

I guess it's supposed to look uncomfortable, the story is about the
toxic asphalt used there. It does look bleak.

Indeed. But I doubt the toxic substance is responsible for the look on
that shot...

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Old January 16th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Chant[_5_]

Alan Browne wrote:

On 2011.01.15 16:03 , Markus Fuenfrocken wrote:
"Alan Browne"wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/58807298.jpg

Reminded me of Prince´s Love symbol right away:
http://991.com/NewGallery/Prince-Lov...-Dis-16035.jpg

Good spot! Though I thought that was "the symbol for the artist
formerly known as Prince"?

But not what I was referring to wrt to weirdness.

Some hdr treatment applied to bring up the shadows?

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old January 19th 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Miller

Robert Coe wrote:

It would take a mighty powerful source to provide fill light for a scene like
that. And such a source could hardly have been anywhere near the camera. At
most one of the building roofs appears to be illuminated from the direction of
the viewer.

Bob

The "Sun" is a "mighty powerful" source IMO. So if you arranged some
appropriately sized reflectors, i.e. clouds, you might get a surprising
amount of fill.

Partly cloudy day is one possibility.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old January 20th 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:50:33 -0600, Eric Miller
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
:
: It would take a mighty powerful source to provide fill light for a scene like
: that. And such a source could hardly have been anywhere near the camera. At
: most one of the building roofs appears to be illuminated from the direction of
: the viewer.
:
: Bob
:
: The "Sun" is a "mighty powerful" source IMO. So if you arranged some
: appropriately sized reflectors, i.e. clouds, you might get a surprising
: amount of fill.
:
: Partly cloudy day is one possibility.

Well, maybe, but I can't say it's a phenomenon I've ever observed. I think
Otter's suggestion (that the picture was Photoshopped) may be the reality.

Bob
Old January 25th 11, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Sheehy

Joe Makowiec wrote in
3.210:

I dunno. Given that today's dSLRs can take 5-10 frames per second, that
they can auto-bracket, and that high-dynamic-range (HDR) software can do
at least minimal auto-aligning, I don't think that it's out of the
question that it's an HDR image.

My Casio superzoom (EX-FH25) takes 40 9MP images per second, up to 30
images. It does HDR in-camera, breaks up hand-held photos into multiple
shorter exposures and aligns them, etc. Some newer cameras will make Panos
by spraying shots.

I wish my DSLRs could do these tricks.