CANON S3 & SONY H5

Old July 10th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Talal Itani

Default CANON S3 & SONY H5

Hello,

I am shopping for a new digital camera. I narrowed down my search to two
cameras: CANON S3 and SONY H5. Which camera is a better camera? Thank you.

T.I.

Old July 10th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

I looked at both of these and also the Panasonic FZ7. For me I liked
the FZ7 better. It seemed to focus faster and had better ergonomics as
well as more meaningful features.

Old July 12th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
per

I have found that Panasonic tends to give violet skin colors, and Canon tend
to give violet flowers a red color.
/per

Old July 12th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Talal Itani

Many recommended to me the Panasonic Z7. I was not aware that Panasonic
makes quality digital cameras. I checked dpreview. Canon S3 is highly
recommended. Sony H5 is also highly recommended. Panasonic Z7 is
recommended, but not highly.

Old July 13th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

If you read multiple reviews from different sources and used the camera
in the store you would find out that the FZ7 focus is much faster, the
usable features are richer even though the S3 has more features but many
are fluff and the ergonomics, menu configuration, size and weight and
street price are better. Additionally you get the lens hood included.

Old July 13th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor

Talal Itani wrote:
Many recommended to me the Panasonic Z7. I was not aware that
Panasonic makes quality digital cameras. I checked dpreview. Canon
S3 is highly recommended. Sony H5 is also highly recommended. Panasonic
Z7 is recommended, but not highly.

Panasonic make a range of cameras, of excellent quality. They have some
of the best lenses available (their Leica lenses perform measurably better
than their Canon equivalents). I have had the Panasonic FZ5, and my wife
the Panasonic FZ20 for well over a year now and we would have no
hesitation in recommending them.

The Panasonic designs tend to have fewer gimmicks than the Canon, and use
standard memory cards (unlike the Sony). Both Panasonic and Canon have a
longer history with image stabilised lenses than Sony at this level.

For me, the extra weight of the Sony [554g] or Canon [501g] compared to
the Panasonic FZ5 [326g] would be a drawback.

But look at the images, and try handling the cameras for yourself (I
rejected the earlier Canon S2 after handling tests). You probably won't
be disappointed whichever you buy.

David

Old July 13th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
BillL

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message .uk...
Talal Itani wrote:
[...]

I'm torn between the S3i and the Z7 (wouldn't consider the Sony because of
the proprietary and expensive mem stick). I think the Z7 looks like a good
camera for the money (considerably less than the Cannon?) but I like the
idea of being able to use AA batteries and the flip out screen with the S3i.

Probably a whole new choice to make when I've eventually saved up enough
money in November!

BillL

Old July 13th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

Yes I too like the idea of AA batteries but they do not last long and
just carry an extra l-ion battery. As for the fold out screen I would
like that too but I compared that against all of the other features.
One of the things that I like are the multiple cross hairs that can be
used for framing.

I do not know if the S3 has improved focusing speed over the S2 but that
is a real show stopper.

I would imagine that the actual results from either will be acceptable
but I would rather have the FZ7 set of features, size, weight and price.

Old July 14th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
per

My S2IS can take several hundred pics on one set of charged AA batteries.
/per