damaged 35mm film

Old February 28th 05, 05:15 PM
Frederick Von Mohrenberg

Default damaged 35mm film

Hi:

Help!

Had a flood. I didn't realize a box of negatives got wet. They are Kodak
negative color film. They dried out on there own. Now they are all stuck
together. How can I separate them?

I'm guessing that I put them in cold water with some wetting agent. Any
suggestions would be helpful.

Fred

Old March 1st 05, 02:01 PM
James Robinson

Frederick Von Mohrenberg wrote:

Had a flood. I didn't realize a box of negatives got wet. They are Kodak
negative color film. They dried out on there own. Now they are all stuck
together. How can I separate them?

I'm guessing that I put them in cold water with some wetting agent. Any
suggestions would be helpful.

The fact that they have dried out and stuck together is usually bad
news, since they will likely be very difficult, if not impossible to
separate. Further, they can be affected by ferrotyping, which is where
the surface of the negative emulsion becomes shiny where it is in
contact with the next negative. Ferrotyping will be seen in the
resulting prints.

Here is a short description about what to do from the Kodak web site:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../faq0700.shtml
Old March 1st 05, 04:15 PM
Frederick Von Mohrenberg

Hi:

Many thanks for your response. I will get a wetting agent and take a shot
at it.

FRED
*********************

Old March 2nd 05, 03:33 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Frederick,

Do not try to separate them. If they are important to you, consider
contacting a professional to see if they can help directly. I realize that
the time has passed for correct care, but if this happens to someone else,
water damage, immerse the negatives in cool water before they dry. Change
the water until you feel it is clean. Try separating the negatives and wash
off the surface then dry, being careful to do so in an environ that has
humidity. Try to keep the film from curling.

There is documentation on this online.

The documentation I offer is not a Kodak recommendation but it should help
you. Try review of the information and find a restoration location.

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytop...er/waters.html

Ron Baird