Shooting a church service

Old September 16th 04, 03:42 AM
Mark M

"Roger" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:40:42 GMT, "Matt Clara"
wrote:

"Mark M" wrote in message

This is an example of a situation where a DSLR can be of GREAT use.
You'd be able to gage your images on the spot, and adjust.

My dad just got a 10D a while back, and even though he didn't know
much...came back from Romania with some nice candle-light photos in a

church
there.

Here are a couple of his shots:
http://www.sendpix.com/albums/04091418/lb0aow8r1s/
(Click thumbs, then click again)

Your dad's got an eye for it!

Mark,

What great pictures. Tell you Dad to keep it up. One of the things
that leaps out at me is the color balance. I expect that the result is
dependent somewhat on the venue (the highlights in the gray hair
appear to be sunlight). However, in my experience with film the
indoor lighting in churches is such a low color temperature, that when
you add candle light you get a terrible mess of reds, never anything
as dynamic as what you are showing here.

There appears some overall softness in each of the pictures, but it
doesn't appear to be due to motion or focus. Is this just dependent on
the camera software (e.g. internal sharpening or lack thereof in this
case)?

I'll pass on your thoughts (and Matt's) to my Dad, who will be absolutely
THRILLED to hear your opinion. He's 68 years old, and not computer/digital
savvy at all. It's all a bit overwhelming to him, and this is just the sort
of encouragement that will fuel his fun.

I did adjust levels *slightly*, but nothing else--no color, or sharpening.
It's true, I think, that the older gentleman in the picture had some sort of
window light adding a bit, but the others were candle light only (for all
practical purposes). It was blurry in part because I'm sure his 10D was on
"P" (since he's new to this), and relied on what the camera thought up in
terms of shutter speed, etc. Also, he was just hand-holding without IS or
anything, so it wasn't the sharpest... He shot it at 105mm (that's more
like 160mm when you add the 1.6x factor, which does translate to perceived
camera-shake) at a relatively slow 1/60th of a second (it was in the
meta-data). He did quite well considering it wasn't an IS lens.

-Mark

Old September 16th 04, 04:07 AM
Mark M

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
"Mark M" wrote in message
> [...]

"Ray Creveling" wrote in message
I may be shooting a church service this week. The primary lighting

will
be
candles and I'm pretty sure flash will be a no go. I was planning on
shooting with my Canononet G III QL 17. I'm thinking of going right to

3200
speed B&W and just under exposing by 2 stops (Meter tops out at iso

800).

Any advice is welcome.

--
Ray Creveling
http://www.blackcatblog.com

This is an example of a situation where a DSLR can be of GREAT use.
You'd be able to gage your images on the spot, and adjust.

My dad just got a 10D a while back, and even though he didn't know
much...came back from Romania with some nice candle-light photos in a

church
there.

Here are a couple of his shots:
http://www.sendpix.com/albums/04091418/lb0aow8r1s/
(Click thumbs, then click again)

Your dad's got an eye for it!

I'll pass that on to my somewhat intimidated 68-year-old,
non-computer/digital savvy dad. You and Roger will absolutely make his day!

I told him the same, but I'm his son... (that's kind of like when your mom
tells you you're cute...)

I actually put together a DVD show centered around his shots from inside
that church. It had a "prayer" theme, and incorporated other shots from the
struggling country. It includes music, and is actually quite moving. I'll
try to post a link to it, though you have to allow a little player applet
download (totally legit...kind of like a PowerPoint viewer applet). If
you're interested in seeing it, you can find it at:

Click the following link to view the 3 minute show:
(Click the "Dad-Romania" show, then click the thumbnail. To view it full
screen, right click on the show, then select full-screen. If you've got a
decent bandwidth and video card, it's fabulous quality for a free
show-sharing service!)
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=38335

You need a fairly up-to-date computer with a fast connection for it to be
worth it...

If you're not familiar with Photodex's "Pro Show Gold" program, it is
incredible.
It is simple and powerful, allowing creation of shows with motion, panning,
zooming, text-effects, and allows output to DVD, CD, e-mail, free posting on
their web-site, screen-saver, video CD, exe files, and more. It can really
transform images into fantastic presentations that are easy to share.
Click the following link to view the collection:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=38335
I just did a 25 minute show for a 20 year High School reunion, and they were
standing and cheering by the time it was over.

-Mark

Old September 18th 04, 05:50 PM

Kibo informs me that "Mark M"
stated that:

I'll pass on your thoughts (and Matt's) to my Dad, who will be absolutely
THRILLED to hear your opinion. He's 68 years old, and not computer/digital
savvy at all. It's all a bit overwhelming to him, and this is just the sort
of encouragement that will fuel his fun.

You can pass on my congratulations too.
Even though the 10D is possibly the perfect camera for shots like that,
it's still far from trivial to get that good a result.
My tip is to shoot in shutter-priority at the slowest speed your hands
are capable of, (1/15 to 1/25 for me), with a fast prime (I use the EF
50/F1.8II), at ISO 800 or 1600. A little bit of fill flash can help a
lot, but you need to turn it down a stop or two to stop it from drowning
out the available light.
Eg: http://lo.ve.ly/gallery/Usenet/CRW_2838_resize
(Click on the photo to see a larger version.)

Old September 18th 04, 09:05 PM
Mark M

wrote in message
Kibo informs me that "Mark M"
stated that:

[...]

Perhaps fill-flash could have done something, but the main thing it would
have done would be to get him kicked out. After all...this was a prayer
room with dozens of people praying by their candles...

Old September 18th 04, 09:05 PM
Mark M

wrote in message
Kibo informs me that "Mark M"
stated that:

Old September 18th 04, 09:05 PM
Mark M

wrote in message
Kibo informs me that "Mark M"
stated that:

Old September 19th 04, 06:43 AM

Kibo informs me that "Mark M"
stated that:

Perhaps fill-flash could have done something, but the main thing it would
have done would be to get him kicked out. After all...this was a prayer
room with dozens of people praying by their candles...

Yeah, okay, you got me there.