Photo editing: monitor options

Old December 5th 12, 03:59 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,rec.photo.digital
Suze

Default Photo editing: monitor options

In article ,
Nick Fotis wrote:

On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:

Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
Must not have brave new world design.
Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)

Cheers,
N.F.

HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
pivot stand
HP ZR2440w
runs in the $350-$400 range.
I have a non-IPS HP version similar to this one and I totally love it.
--
Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.
Old December 5th 12, 09:51 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:35:53 -0800 (PST), AD wrote:

On Dec 5, 6:59*am, Suze wrote:
In article ,
*Nick Fotis wrote:

On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:

Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
Must not have brave new world design.
Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)

Cheers,
N.F.

HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
pivot stand
HP ZR2440w
runs in the $350-$400 range.

where I live it seems more than $450
me thinks i'll have someone lug one from the states

Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.

which is why I'll probably avoid buying dell at all costs given that
quality controls are lax
and brightness is inline with sugar amount in american yogurts

I have a Dell U2410
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=320-8277
I check its color calibration at regular intervals using a Spyder3. It
has always been almost exactly right and has shown negible drift over
the 2 or so years that I have owned it. You are right: it's standard
setting is slightly too bright but that is easily fixed through the
controls.

I had an earlier model of the same general specification.
Unfortunately it intermittently developed a set of 1-pixel wide
vertical lines. I telephoned Dell and within about 20 hours they had
delivered a brand new replacement monitor (my present monitor).

I can highly recommend them.

Eric Stevens
Old December 5th 12, 11:53 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 6/12/2012 8:51 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:35:53 -0800 (PST), AD wrote:

On Dec 5, 6:59 am, Suze wrote:
In article ,
Nick Fotis wrote:

On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:

[...]

Here I have a Dell ultra sharp 1905 FP 19" which I have had since 2005
(made week 38/2005) its a nice screen but as you say too bright as a
standard gamma. I now use this as a spare test monitor when I build or
repair PC's but it still works just too small.

The other consumer Dells were not as sharp.