[photo] Glasshouse Mountains

Old October 31st 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Noons

Default [photo] Glasshouse Mountains

Troy Piggins wrote,on my timestamp of 31/10/2010 9:27 AM:

Thanks mate. I was actually quite surprised how well the 5DII
handled the dynamic range of the shot. The clouds aren't blown,
no filters were used, it's a single hand-held shot. I was sure
the darks would be more of a problem.

Very cool! Did you meter on matrix (or whatever Canon calls it) or CW/spot?
Old October 31st 10, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Troy Piggins[_43_]

* Noons wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote,on my timestamp of 31/10/2010 9:27 AM:

Thanks mate. I was actually quite surprised how well the 5DII
handled the dynamic range of the shot. The clouds aren't blown,
no filters were used, it's a single hand-held shot. I was sure
the darks would be more of a problem.

Very cool! Did you meter on matrix (or whatever Canon calls it) or CW/spot?

Partial metering, but I metered pointing the to sky to make sure
that was less than 2 stops over, and foreground to make sure that
was less than 2 stops under.

--
Troy Piggins
Old October 31st 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Troy Piggins[_44_]

* Rob wrote :
On 31/10/2010 8:26 PM, Troy Piggins wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 9 lines snipped |=---]

Partial metering, but I metered pointing the to sky to make sure
that was less than 2 stops over, and foreground to make sure that
was less than 2 stops under.

you could still get more kick out of it using HDR in PS5

For fun, note the green line:
http://miguel.martinsalmeida.com/wp-...0/01/b2fef.png

Seriously, it's not a high dynamic range shot, so I'm not even
going to entertain the thought of using HDR. HDR gets
overused/misused/abused enough, I'm not going to add to that
steaming pile.

If I want to shoot a scene that has more dynamic range than my
sensor can handle, and it can't be solved with flash, I might
consider it then if I have a tripod etc with me.

--
Troy Piggins
Old November 1st 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Noons

Troy Piggins wrote,on my timestamp of 1/11/2010 6:20 AM:

you could still get more kick out of it using HDR in PS5

For fun, note the green line:
http://miguel.martinsalmeida.com/wp-...0/01/b2fef.png

LOL! So true!

Seriously, it's not a high dynamic range shot, so I'm not even
going to entertain the thought of using HDR. HDR gets
overused/misused/abused enough, I'm not going to add to that
steaming pile.

Yay! Piggo for prezz!

Old November 1st 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-31 19:34:17 -0700, Rob said:

On 1/11/2010 6:20 AM, Troy Piggins wrote:
* Rob wrote :
On 31/10/2010 8:26 PM, Troy Piggins wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 9 lines snipped |=---]

Partial metering, but I metered pointing the to sky to make sure
that was less than 2 stops over, and foreground to make sure that
was less than 2 stops under.

you could still get more kick out of it using HDR in PS5

For fun, note the green line:
http://miguel.martinsalmeida.com/wp-...0/01/b2fef.png

Seriously, it's not a high dynamic range shot, so I'm not even
going to entertain the thought of using HDR. HDR gets
overused/misused/abused enough, I'm not going to add to that
steaming pile.

If I want to shoot a scene that has more dynamic range than my
sensor can handle, and it can't be solved with flash, I might
consider it then if I have a tripod etc with me.

No not that way it was with a single image shot. To me heaps of B&W
lack contrast and are just grey. We used to use either a red or yellow
filter with B&W to increase the contract so there was a full black to
white image. I through the clouds could do with more punch and better
resolution through out the scene.

Did you get the message to clean the spots off the sensor?

For the Hell of it, I downloaded the 15 day trial of NIK Silver Efex
Pro plugin, and I have been pleasantly surprised at the degree of
control you have over the entire image by using the control points you
can apply for adjustment to the smallest area of the image. I think it
is a tool Adams would have used if he processed digital B&W. Try it
out, you might be surprised.
http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/usa/entry.php

I have been playing with it with some of my images to get something
different to the results I got from using the various CS5 B&W
conversion methods.
Here are two I converted using Silver Efex;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Barn-6112BWw.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...-1005tmBWw.jpg

Savageduck

Old November 1st 10, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Troy Piggins[_44_]

* Rob wrote :
On 1/11/2010 6:20 AM, Troy Piggins wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 17 lines snipped |=---]

If I want to shoot a scene that has more dynamic range than my
sensor can handle, and it can't be solved with flash, I might
consider it then if I have a tripod etc with me.

No not that way it was with a single image shot. To me heaps of B&W lack
contrast and are just grey. We used to use either a red or yellow filter
with B&W to increase the contract so there was a full black to white
image. I through the clouds could do with more punch and better
resolution through out the scene.

I see what you're saying, although don't see the link with HDR.
I'll have a bit more of a play with it to see if I can achieve
what you're describing.

Did you get the message to clean the spots off the sensor?

Yes. Thanks.

--
Troy Piggins
Old November 1st 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Troy Piggins[_44_]

On 2010-10-31 19:34:17 -0700, Rob said:

[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 26 lines snipped |=---]
[...]

That looks effective. Shame about the clouds, but the textures
on the shed look great.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...-1005tmBWw.jpg

Not so much of a fan of this one. The sky looks like armageddon
has arrived.

--
Troy Piggins
Old November 1st 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Troy Piggins[_44_]

* Rob wrote :
On 1/11/2010 6:20 AM, Troy Piggins wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 17 lines snipped |=---]

If I want to shoot a scene that has more dynamic range than my
sensor can handle, and it can't be solved with flash, I might
consider it then if I have a tripod etc with me.

No not that way it was with a single image shot. To me heaps of B&W lack
contrast and are just grey. We used to use either a red or yellow filter
with B&W to increase the contract so there was a full black to white
image. I through the clouds could do with more punch and better
resolution through out the scene.

Just emulated a yellow filter, then had a little tweak. Think
this is more contrasty like you suggested? What do you think of
this edit? It did cause some funkiness on the branches of that
tree, but not that noticable at this scale unless you're really
looking for it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/...153020b9_o.jpg

--
Troy Piggins
Old November 1st 10, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Savageduck[_3_]

* Savageduck wrote :
On 2010-10-31 19:34:17 -0700, Rob said:

[...]

Yup! Those clouds were tough. Also finding a level was tough. I did a
second version, leveling on the barn door.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...-1005tmBWw.jpg

Not so much of a fan of this one. The sky looks like armageddon
has arrived.

A few minutes later it felt like armageddon had arrived. That was the
proverbial "threatening" sky, and the place is just as desolate. That
is the Carrizo Plain which is bisected by the San Andreas Fault, with
the Temblor Range in the background. They are waiting for the "Big One"
there.

BTW: here is a screen shot of Silver Efex in action on the leveled
version of the barn.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...r-Efex-02w.jpg

Savageduck

Old November 1st 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo
Alan Browne

On 10-10-28 23:40 , Troy Piggins wrote:
Glasshouse Mountains in the background there are remnants of a
volcano, with the volcanic plug in the middle. Shame the scene
was a little spoiled by the smoke from a burnoff there.

Any constructive critique appreciated.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/...101b2170_o.jpg

I would have cropped off the upper 20% or so of the sky
(dead/uninteresting).

Nice, otherwise.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.