wildlife cameras bushnell trail sentry

Old June 10th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc

Default wildlife cameras bushnell trail sentry

Hi Folks:
I've had the pleasure to look at a couple of cameras to use for a
security project. This one is the Bushnell Trail Sentry. This unit
takes 4 D batteries and comes with no memory. You need a SD chip to
store media on.
After going through the setup to set the time and date, I first
went into video mode which records AVI's. The dates in the files
directory were wrong. After turning it off and on again, although I
still had the movie-camera icon, the camera was in its lower-resolution
(640X480) picture mode. It took a picture, to my suprise. Once
viewing the chip again, the time stamps were correct in the directory.
In the picture, the time stamps are in the lower right, and look very
sharp!
Some nuiances: Everytime the camera is powered on, dispite
appearing like it's in the movie mode with the icons, it's really in
the picture mode. I have to go through the menu and reselect the movie
mode. Also, the website and manual both seem to call this flash
incandescent. I assure you it looks like xenon to me. The energy is
intense and it even clicks (softly) with the discharge.
This camera seems to have a very sensitive imaging chip. Taking
pictures in the room, even with a wall 15 feet away, with flash, leaves
the pictures almost all white. In movie mode, the flash doesn't
activate, of course. Even in movie mode, this camera is pretty
sensitive. If it's bright, however, it takes movies at a higher frame
rate (14fps)! It slows down when it's dark, but it can't change rates
once it's started taking movies. If it was dark when the images
started, it slows down to about 1.4fps. If it gets light whithin the
'take', the images just comes out all white. The opposite is true if
it starts light at 14fps and gets a bit dark. The rest is black. This
should be no issue in real-life outside imaging where is gets dark and
light slowly anyway. Note: Clips are about 15 seconds long.
This is one fast trigger in picture mode! Max delay is about a
second. It seems after the first picture, the trigger is even quicker!
This should be great at capturing running animals! Sharpness is about
normal. The PIR is considerably narrower than the field-of-view.

Soon I'll post some pictures on my website,
http://www.harryhydro.com/wildlife/

Harry

Old July 3rd 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc

I wonder if you can tell me How to over ride the password. Somehow in
the process of going through the setup (which is always confussing
every time I use this thing) I guess I changed the default password by
mistake. Now I can't access my camera.
Thanks