Nikon D70/D100 w/MF Lenses

Old June 25th 04, 06:09 AM
Lunaray

Default Nikon D70/D100 w/MF Lenses

Do either of these models work with manual focus Nikkor lenses (AI/AIS)?
If so, what are the limitations?

Thanks!

Ray
--
_______
www.rayspace.com

Old June 25th 04, 07:03 AM
Peter File

Do either of these models work with manual focus Nikkor lenses (AI/AIS)?
If so, what are the limitations?

My D70 works with my 28 1:2.8 AI lens on Aperture Priority and Manual only
with no Matrix Metering and obviously manual focus

Old June 25th 04, 09:02 AM
Philip Homburg

In article ,
Peter File wrote:
Do either of these models work with manual focus Nikkor lenses (AI/AIS)?
If so, what are the limitations?

My D70 works with my 28 1:2.8 AI lens on Aperture Priority and Manual only
with no Matrix Metering and obviously manual focus

Are you saying that with a (non-P) MF lens on your D70, the light meter
works normally and so does aperture priority? I think this contradicts
information from Nikon.

--
The Electronic Monk was a labor-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video
recorder. [...] Video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving
Old June 25th 04, 11:32 AM
Peter File

Do either of these models work with manual focus Nikkor lenses
(AI/AIS)?
If so, what are the limitations?

My D70 works with my 28 1:2.8 AI lens on Aperture Priority and Manual

only
with no Matrix Metering and obviously manual focus

Are you saying that with a (non-P) MF lens on your D70, the light meter
works normally and so does aperture priority? I think this contradicts
information from Nikon.

It may be a P I don't know, its a bit knackered so most of the writing has
been rubbed off.

Old June 25th 04, 01:32 PM
Apteryx

"Lunaray" wrote in message
Do either of these models work with manual focus Nikkor lenses

(AI/AIS)?
If so, what are the limitations?

I have several old (late '70s) AI lenses and a PB 6 bellows. They all
work on my D70, but without any exposure metering. That is less of
problem than it would be with film, because of course you can take a
test exposure any time. Manual focusing isn't easy with the D70's
viewfinder (and my eyesight), but the camera's autofocus system will
give you an "in focus" indicator.

It's possible there may be a problem with some independent brand AI
lenses. I have an old Tamron 2X teleconvertor with Nikon AI mount that
so obviously doesn't want to fit that I haven't tried to force it,
although I can't see anything different about its mount that would
prevent it being fitted, and it fits my F2 body without any trouble.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Old June 25th 04, 02:50 PM
Jose Marques

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Lunaray wrote:

Do either of these models work with manual focus Nikkor lenses (AI/AIS)?
If so, what are the limitations?

On D70 yes, but:

* No metering
* No auto-focus (focus aid is available though)
* No DOF preview
* 1.52 crop factor

--
Jose Marques

Old June 25th 04, 03:10 PM
Peter File

My D70 works with my 28 1:2.8 AI lens on Aperture Priority and Manual
only
with no Matrix Metering and obviously manual focus

Are you saying that with a (non-P) MF lens on your D70, the light meter
works normally and so does aperture priority? I think this contradicts
information from Nikon.

It may be a P I don't know, its a bit knackered so most of the writing has
been rubbed off.

Yep it is, I remember I bought it at the same time as my F301. Just checked
again, and program does work.

Old June 25th 04, 08:53 PM
George

"Apteryx" wrote in message

It's possible there may be a problem with some independent brand AI
lenses. I have an old Tamron 2X teleconvertor with Nikon AI mount that
so obviously doesn't want to fit that I haven't tried to force it,
although I can't see anything different about its mount that would
prevent it being fitted, and it fits my F2 body without any trouble.

When I AI'd my 8mm f/2.8, I bought the service manual first. You'd be
surprised
how tight some of the lens mount tolerances are...some are within 0.2 or
0.3mm.
BTW--My 8mm f/2.8 works on my D70...of course, without metering and manual
focus (like you really need to focus...Canon's 7.5mm f/5.6 FD fisheye didn't
even
HAVE a focus ring).