Why are low dpi printers more expensive?

Old August 8th 04, 12:29 AM
Mark B.

Default Why are low dpi printers more expensive?

wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new photo printer for my Canon 10d digital
camera.

I want an Epson printer because the carts are cheap and the printers
last a long time.

Just one thing, I've seen DPI on the new and old printers and I can't
understand why the low dpi printers cost more momey.

For example, Epson Stylus Photo 2100 is 2880 DPI on A3 paper and costs
around £422. The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is 5760 DPI on A4 paper and
costs £240. There are other printers aswell which are like this, low
DPI more money, high DPI less money.

From what I understand, "The resolution is stated in pixels (points)
per inch. The higher resolution the finer printouts."

Why is the higher DPI printer/s cheaper than the semi professional
Photo printers? I really can't understand.

I know photo paper can only handle so many DPI before it starts to
overlap but why are the low DPI A3 printers so much more money?

I don't think A3 printers can print more DPI on A4 paper.

Epson 2100 is a wide-format printer, R800 prints up to A4/8.5" x 11". Look
at the size of the printer first.

Mark

Old August 8th 04, 02:54 AM
Mark B.

wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:29:11 -0400, "Mark B."
wrote:

Epson 2100 is a wide-format printer, R800 prints up to A4/8.5" x 11".

Look
at the size of the printer first.

At the moment, I envisage to print on A4. Until I start printing and
using the printer, I don't know if I'll be using A3 or not. Is it good
having an A3 printer if the DPI on A4 prints is less??

I've just looked at the RX 600 which looks good aswell as an All in
one.

Is it worth spending the money on A3 which has lower DPI if I've got
spare cash ?

I don't know why I referenced A4 in my reply; I just realized I don't know
what size that actually is. 2100 can do up to 13" wide, R800 up to 8.5"
wide. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the dpi difference. From what
I've seen with 1440 dpi on my 870, I can't imagine 2880 will be a noticeable
difference. Get the printer for the size prints you'll be doing. If you
need to do larger prints, then it's worth the money. Keep in mind the 2100
has been replaced by the 2200 which can do 2880 in one direction (1440 in
the other). Check epson.com for specs on all their printers.

Mark

Old August 8th 04, 04:00 AM
dj_nme

Mark B. wrote:

snip printer discussion

I don't know why I referenced A4 in my reply; I just realized I don't know
what size that actually is.

A4 is 210mm by 297mm (8.27" by 11.69") in size. A3 is twice the width at
420mm by 279mm (16.54" by 11.69").
Old August 8th 04, 04:47 AM
Douglas

There is a great deal of difference to a photographer in 1440 and 2880! Also
the 2100 IS the same printer as the 2200.The 2100 is the Euro version! The
2100(2200) and the R800 use "pigment inks"! The RX 600 does not! Pigment
inks have solids suspended in them,and give much loner lasting prints,on the
right papers!By the way Mark,the 2000 was the printer replaced bu the 2200!
I agree people should check Epsons website for specs instead of

Old August 8th 04, 05:15 AM
Toby

Past 1440 there is really no appreciable gain in the reviews that I have
read. You might see a very, very slight increase in smoothness in monochome
prints with 2880. Don't take maximum DPI too seriously, some very high dpi
printers (notably Lexmarks IME) turn out prints that look like trash...

Toby

Old August 8th 04, 11:40 AM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Douglas
writes

There is a great deal of difference to a photographer in 1440 and 2880!

Not if they know what they are talking about!

Here we are talking about *DOTS* per inch, not *pixels* per inch, or
ppi.

All of the Epson desktop range resample all of the images you send them
to 720ppi (other manufacturers do the same but with differing native
resolutions, like 300ppi etc.). The dots per inch is always higher than
this for an inkjet printer so that each pixel's colour can be reproduced
as accurately as possible by dithering the ink dot placement. More ink
colours means that less dots are required per pixel to accurately
produce its colour. In addition, since the highest resolution that you
can see on the printed page without use of magnification is about
250ppi, and for most people it is a lot less, that 720ppi resampled data
means that there are about 9 actual pixels on the page for each resolved
unit that you can see - so the driver can easily afford to dither dots
over 9 pixels before you would even see any performance fall-off. Epson
take advantage of this using a stochastic dither process which produces
very high colour accuracy over areas where adjacent pixels are almost
identical, yet achieves up to 360cy/in resolution on the page where the
image actually contains such information.

--
Kennedy