Omega D carrier

Old June 29th 04, 04:24 AM
Mike Schuler

Default Omega D carrier

I've just picked up an Omega D5 enlarger and am looking for negative
carriers. I've seen some on Ebay that appear like the carriers I've
used before on a D5(general shape) but are advertized as "D2"
carriers. Is there any difference? That is, do all "D" carriers fit
all "D" enlargers?

On a related note, does an Omega enlarger FAQ exist anywhere? I got a
copy of the D5 manual and it is far from complete.

Thanks in advance, Mike
Old June 29th 04, 09:14 PM
Mike Schuler

Thanks.

Although I didn't have a lot of time to look at your website, the
alignment manual is something I need, although it doesn't include the
D5 specifically. Do you have any plans to create .pdf files of the
manuals?

I don't understand why Omega couldn't include information on alignment
procedures, etc. in the D5 manual. That the manual gets halfway
through the process for mounting the chassis on the baseboard and then
refers to a separate baseboard instruction sheet is maddening.

John wrote in message . ..
On 28 Jun 2004 20:24:14 -0700, (Mike
Schuler) wrote:

I've just picked up an Omega D5 enlarger and am looking for negative
carriers. I've seen some on Ebay that appear like the carriers I've
used before on a D5(general shape) but are advertized as "D2"
carriers. Is there any difference? That is, do all "D" carriers fit
all "D" enlargers?

The will fit but there is usually a difference in the
thickness of the carriers. The newer D5's seem to prefer thicker
carriers. The carriers that came with my D5 (a circa '74 model) are
almost identical in thickness though the ones made for my D5 have a
better finish in that they are painted.

On a related note, does an Omega enlarger FAQ exist anywhere? I got a
copy of the D5 manual and it is far from complete.

A full copy of the D5 manual at my site :

http://www.darkroompro.com/frames/index.html

I'm sure there is a FAQ somewhere but never needed to look for
it.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Old June 29th 04, 09:19 PM
John

On 29 Jun 2004 13:14:47 -0700, Mike Schuler wrote:

Although I didn't have a lot of time to look at your website, the
alignment manual is something I need, although it doesn't include the
D5 specifically. Do you have any plans to create .pdf files of the
manuals?

I've tried it but the file sizes were very large. That something I want to
avoid. I didn't have much time to play with Acrobat so I'm not sure I was
getting the most out of the software.

I don't understand why Omega couldn't include information on alignment
procedures, etc. in the D5 manual. That the manual gets halfway
through the process for mounting the chassis on the baseboard and then
refers to a separate baseboard instruction sheet is maddening.

LOL !I Stopped trying to figure out ANY company a long time ago.

John D.
Old June 30th 04, 01:38 AM
Fred Warren

The diff in the carriers is the guide plate on the bottom to center it in the
d5 stage.the d2 uses pins in the stage.d5 can rotate,d2 cannot.
Old June 30th 04, 08:43 AM
RWatson767

John
Omega D carrier

My D5 has the guidepins as well. Perhaps it's one of the earlier models of
the Super-Chromega

Unless I have missed something in the last 30 years your D5 has had some parts
swapping. The last guide pins in the regular Omega manufacture was the D3. Does
your negative stage bridge have a round hole or a square hole with beveled
corners? The D4, 5 & 6 had round holes allowing a carrier with a frame on the
lower surface to rotate.

Bob AZ
Old June 30th 04, 02:58 PM
John Garand

ON 29 Jun 2004 09:16:57 -0700, (lost in space)
WROTE:

You might find something here.

http://www.classic-enlargers.com/

This site is an excellent resource for Omega enlarger information, and
Harry (and often others) will respond to questions posted. Harry will
usually invite phone or e-Mail contact should you have a question
requiring lengthy discussion.

My recollection of Omega carriers is that there were two different
types of D series carriers. The earlier carriers were round with
"tab" handles, like the Beseler carriers (and IIRC, could be used in
either brand) and will work for DII, D2, D3 and D4 enlargers. The
later rectangular shape with rounded center are supposedly usable in
all D series enlargers DII through D6 (which came out before the D5 -
go figure).

Old June 30th 04, 03:47 PM
Mike King

As a rule D5 and D6 carriers center in the lightpath using an 8-sided
doohickey on the bottom of the carrier whilst D2-4 carriers use the two
notches at the back of the carrier to center, carriers are centered when the
two notches are fully engaged with a couple of pins at the back of the
enlarger carriage. Most D-5 carriers have the notches so will work on older
machines and (I think, it's been some time since I played with a D5) D5's
have the two pins at the back of the carriage (or perhaps the D-5 pins are
removable).

--
darkroommike

om...