Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6D ED AF vs. Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XRDi Lenses

Old April 10th 05, 12:20 AM
Clyde Torres

Default Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6D ED AF vs. Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XRDi Lenses

Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus
Lens, black, Imported, out of stock, $99.95

This lens isn't very good. The G means no aperture control on the
lens (use the control on the camera instead) and there's nothing wrong
with that as long as you're only using AF cameras which have that
control. It's just this particular lens is not very good.

Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens,
Imported, $279.95

Better version of the above lens, reasonably compact and not too
expensive. This might be your best choice. The 70-200/2.8 etc. are
professional lenses and hard to take anywhere because of their size.

The above is advice given by Paul Rubin on an earlier post. I went to a
local store today to look at the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6D ED AF lens, and the
salesman showed it to me. He also showed me the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3
XRDi lens, which he claims is MUCH BETTER than the Nikkor lens. I played
with both, and the Tamron seemed a little bit tighter (less slop), but I
know nothing about its optics and resultant photographic quality. Does
anyone here have any data or advice about the Tamron lens and its comparison
to the Nikkor lens? I normally wouldn't buy an aftermarket lens, but the
salesguy said that Nikon makes some surprisingly embarrassing lenses, and
Tamron is a major glass manufacturer. He also said that Tamron invented a
way to mold glass such that it is cheaper, smaller and better than unmolded
glass. I'm not sure if he's laying a sales line on me or not, and this is
why I need your advice. BOth lenses don't weigh much, but the Tamron lens
is smaller and lighter.

Thank you very much.

Clyde Torres