The lovely ladies of Death Guild

Old January 14th 09, 07:12 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Al Bar

Default The lovely ladies of Death Guild

I left my heart in a goth club in San Francisco =)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mesolim...7612545672346/
Old January 16th 09, 05:38 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Al Bar

Vance wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:12 am, Al Bar wrote:
I left my heart in a goth club in San Francisco =)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mesolim...7612545672346/

No offense, but I live in San Francisco and you really need to take
someone out who knows where to get the great image and how to get
them. Nice snaps of your outing though.

Vance

So what's your idea of a great image location in San Francisco?
Old January 16th 09, 01:05 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Vance" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 10:12 am, Al Bar wrote:
I left my heart in a goth club in San Francisco =)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mesolim...7612545672346/

No offense, but I live in San Francisco and you really need to take
someone out who knows where to get the great image and how to get
them. Nice snaps of your outing though.

If you take me out to the "great image" and show me how to get it, from a
philosophical standpoint, why are they not your images. Compare with, if you
show me how to see and just take me to an area.

I am not picking on words and certainly don't mean to disparage your
comment. But I think that on too many workshops, the instructor/group
leader simply tells you where to plant your tripod and what exposure to use,
as opposed to letting you do your thing and then making suggestions. with
clear explanations.

Last weekend I went to the beach with a friend, who is an excellent photo
artist. We simultaneously saw the same shot. His was far superior to mine,
simply because he shot from a slightly different angle. In my excitement, I
never realized the alignment of a sunbeam reflection with some seaweed,
until it was too late. Had he explained the alignment before he shot, the
picture would have really been his, not mine. Yet it was a good learning
experience for me.

--
Peter

Old January 16th 09, 07:29 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Al Bar

Peter wrote:
"Vance" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 10:12 am, Al Bar wrote:
[...]

In Vance's defense, I must say that a simple Google search yields some rather interesting pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Vance.Le...UZPU#slideshow

However, I think assessing my understanding of San Francisco based on a single set is a bit rash ... and not to toot my own
horn, but there are plenty of shots in my other sets that at least keep up the pace with the stuff in that slide show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mesolim...7604525246694/

.... anyway I'm with you Peter, in that slight variations in a situation can completely make or break a photo =)
Old January 16th 09, 08:40 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Al Bar" wrote in message
Peter wrote:
"Vance" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 10:12 am, Al Bar wrote:
[...]

I hope my statement was not taken to be any attack upon Vance. It certainly
was not intended to be one. If anyone does think it was I apologize.

Old January 17th 09, 01:06 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Colin.D

Al Bar wrote:
Peter wrote:
"Vance" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 10:12 am, Al Bar wrote:
[...]

What you have described is a prime example of education in operation.
Next time you take a photograph that experience will impact to some
extent on how you see the next subject.

Your interpretation of the image as being your friend's if you took his
advice is not so; he is educating your sense of composition. If it were
the case, then few of us would 'own' our images as we would have to
attribute them to all of our educators and mentors, right back to
primary school.

Colin D.
Old January 17th 09, 03:24 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Colin.D" wrote in message

Peter wrote:

[...]

I do not really disagree. I think there is a very fine line between
inspirational education and outright copying.

If my instructor set up the shot and all do is press the shutter, morally it
is not my shot.

Compare with, I visualize a shot and my instructor shows me how to
technically accomplish my vision.

That is just my opinion. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive, but if I am
presenting an image as an example of my creativity, it ought to be my
creativity, not someone else's. The way I see it, that is the difference
between an artist and a hack.

--
Peter

Old January 17th 09, 08:13 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Colin.D

Peter wrote:
"Colin.D" wrote in message

Peter wrote:

[...]

Even creative people had to learn somewhere; only a total genius could
accomplish a work without any prior input from some kind of teacher, or
at least a study of others' work. Some have an 'artistic mind', others
like me have a technical bent and are short on artistry, a problem I
have wrestled with all my photographic life.

Colin D.
Old January 17th 09, 07:40 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Peter wrote:
"Vance" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 10:12 am, Al Bar wrote:
[...]

"Hey you stole my shot!" is a common, not quite joking refrain on photo
outings with friends (this goes both ways). I was in Chaco Canyon this
fall & stole this shot from a LF photographer who was set up waiting for
the light to change or something. I asked, she laughed & said I was only
about the 12th person to do so. Of course her camera was in the way of
taking the exact shot she set up g

The stolen photo:
http://edgehill.net/Southwest/9-12-0...co-cyn/pg8pc46
(I still need to finish uploading, organizing & annotating all these
zillions of shots)

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old January 21st 09, 01:18 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Peter wrote:
"Vance" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 10:12 am, Al Bar wrote:
[...]

We used to have an A-hole in our club who would make that complaint if
anyone came near him while he was shooting.

The president of our club subtly rebuked him.

We had several competitions based upon a field trip in which all going went
to the same spot. The purpose was to demonstrate how many different shots
could be taken from the same spot.

--
Peter