Dumb mistake...

Old March 9th 05, 05:57 AM
Sheldon

Default Dumb mistake...

In Thom Hogan's book (CD) one of the tips he gives is to make sure when you
put your camera away you change any settings back to normal. Well, I had
just taken some macro photos using an incandescent lamp, had changed the wb,
and put it away like that. Later that day I grabbed the camera to shoot a
cat that someone brought over (very cool looking cat, exotic, expensive
hybrid) and used the flash.

Anybody want some pictures of a blue cat? It's exotic, but it ain't blue.
And because I didn't shoot the images in RAW it wasn't easy adjusting the
colors back. I used Nikon Capture and used the red blue and green
sliders -- got very close. Anybody have an easier way to fix something like
this?

At least I did get some good shots after I set the wb back to automatic.

Sheldon

Old March 9th 05, 06:50 AM
RSD99

Color Temperature Correction plugin:
http://plugin.artdesign.ru/
http://plugin.artdesign.ru/agdcolor.zip

Old March 9th 05, 12:54 PM
canongirly

"Sheldon" wrote in message
In Thom Hogan's book (CD) one of the tips he gives is to make sure when
you put your camera away you change any settings back to normal. Well, I
had just taken some macro photos using an incandescent lamp, had changed
the wb, and put it away like that. Later that day I grabbed the camera to
shoot a cat that someone brought over (very cool looking cat, exotic,
expensive hybrid) and used the flash.

Anybody want some pictures of a blue cat? It's exotic, but it ain't blue.
And because I didn't shoot the images in RAW it wasn't easy adjusting the
colors back. I used Nikon Capture and used the red blue and green
sliders -- got very close. Anybody have an easier way to fix something
like this?

At least I did get some good shots after I set the wb back to automatic.

Sheldon

I did something very similar myself when I first went digital. I shot a
bunch of portraits in a room that had flourescent overheads that couldn't be
turned off for some stupid reason or other. As I was using studio strobes
anyway I set a custom WB using a sheet of white paper shot under the
strobes. Everything went fine with the portraits printing out the right
colour.

The next day I went to an airshow. Got lots of shots of very pretty military
jets whizzing around....all with a distinctly green cast.

Old March 9th 05, 01:39 PM
Drifter

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:54:40 -0000, "canongirly" wrote:

---snip---
[...]

Oh God, a lot of us have done the same thing, of course NEVER more
than once, right?!? grin. Oh and I've never done it myself of
course (cough cough, wink, nudge).

Thank God and Adobe for photoshop!

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old March 9th 05, 03:43 PM
Alan Browne

Sheldon wrote:

In Thom Hogan's book (CD) one of the tips he gives is to make sure when you
put your camera away you change any settings back to normal. Well, I had
just taken some macro photos using an incandescent lamp, had changed the wb,
and put it away like that. Later that day I grabbed the camera to shoot a
cat that someone brought over (very cool looking cat, exotic, expensive
hybrid) and used the flash.

It's a common error, and digital cameras are much worse that film as
there are so many additional setting related to the capture. You can in
many instances correct for it.

Anybody want some pictures of a blue cat? It's exotic, but it ain't blue.
And because I didn't shoot the images in RAW it wasn't easy adjusting the
colors back. I used Nikon Capture and used the red blue and green
sliders -- got very close. Anybody have an easier way to fix something like
this?

Try pulling the blues and increasing the red/yellow.

I don't like trusting the auto-WB. I prefer setting the light
temperature and that works for the three main cases, sunlight/flash
(5500K), incandecent (2800K) and open shade (I haven't found the temp
yet, but my camera goes up to 9900K so I'll start there. It's -12C
outside, so I'm no rush to do this...)

Cheers,
Alan

Old March 9th 05, 04:05 PM
C J Campbell

I find that using Curves in Photoshop CS is a quick way of correcting a lot
of mistakes like this. Doesn't always work, but it is worth a try. Using
Options in the Curves of Layer box and clicking the white or black squares
to set their values to extreme white and black can be very helpful.

Old March 9th 05, 04:47 PM
Sheldon

Thanks for the suggestions, and letting me know I'm not the only one out
there who does this. I guess that's what the tips in the book are for. :-)
And I just finished reading the book!

Old March 9th 05, 07:30 PM
Dave Devine

Sheldon wrote:

In Thom Hogan's book (CD) one of the tips he gives is to make sure when you
put your camera away you change any settings back to normal. Well, I had
just taken some macro photos using an incandescent lamp, had changed the wb,
and put it away like that. Later that day I grabbed the camera to shoot a
cat that someone brought over (very cool looking cat, exotic, expensive
hybrid) and used the flash.

Anybody want some pictures of a blue cat? It's exotic, but it ain't blue.
And because I didn't shoot the images in RAW it wasn't easy adjusting the
colors back. I used Nikon Capture and used the red blue and green
sliders -- got very close. Anybody have an easier way to fix something like
this?

At least I did get some good shots after I set the wb back to automatic.

Sheldon

At least you had something reasonably correctable! I did the same thing
with the ISO on my istDS. I took a picture or two at 3200 just to see.
The next day, snapped lots of photos of my niece from Texas. Couldn't
figure out why they were so noisy until I looked at the Exif info.

Dave

--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
Old March 9th 05, 10:01 PM
Hannah

"Sheldon" wrote in message
In Thom Hogan's book (CD) one of the tips he gives is to make sure when

you
put your camera away you change any settings back to normal. Well, I had

My frequent mistake doesn't ruin the pictures, but it makes you look like an
idiot! When I do macro or still life type shots, with a tripod, I set the
camera to timer mode because this is what the infra red remote control needs
it to be on. You feel like an idiot next day when you press the shutter and
then have to stand there for 10 seconds before the shutter releases.
H.

Old March 9th 05, 10:55 PM
G.T.

Hahaha, I do both the 10 sec timer and WB things. I've been faithfully
setting things back to normal and AWB lately, though.