I made an mistake.

Old August 11th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

Default I made an mistake.

Dear reader,

keywords: Daughter, camera, fast.

I am posting this here because some of you probably understand the terminoly
I use.

My daughter passed another year at school, and I liked her to have her own
camera.
(So I can keep the ones I have to myself). Allthough it was a supprise, I
guessed her
requirements.

Her requirements we
- small (so easy to cary).
- fast (so she can take snapshots).
- cheap (so that she does not have to behave responsible).

Soo I both a fairly cheap fuji camera, with specifications I would have died
for at her age.
(Ok, not died for, but which would have left me in amazement for some time).

The camera was cheap, does produce a 10 Mp picture of amazing quality.
I checked what the shutterlag was, it's not brilliant but very acceptable.

But my mistake, my daughter does not want to halfpress to focus but just
want to press
and the picture being taken. But in her view then the camera takes ages to
focus and take
the picture. Her quality requirements are not high. She apreciates a lot of
pictures she
took of her girlfriends even if the are unsharp of movement or wrong
focusing. If the
pictures are taken at the 'right' time that is them having fun, quality is
very far down the
list.

So a fixed focus camera would probably have been better for her. (If it just
take pictures
and does not have any other lag)

So although my daughter is still very happy with the camera, I could have
done better.
And allthough my relation with my daughter is not in jeaperdy, I would like
to share this
experience with you, and also like to her from you how I should have done
better.
If you have advises what I should have done to select a camera for her,
please share them with me.

As said I did not completely understand the requirements of my daughter.
(But is that possible ?).

Thanks for your time and attention,
Ben Brugman

Old August 23rd 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

ben brugman wrote:
[...]

There probably is a way to set it up for manual focus but the only way
to get that out of the box is those really cheap $15 keychain cameras at
the drug store. Or there are childrens cameras with very simple
operation if they don't look too cutesy for her age? Have you seen the
Flip video cameras? Kids love those. Or a cell phone.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net