Beutler development times

Old April 16th 04, 02:18 PM
Peter Metelerkamp

Default Beutler development times

I am looking to use developers with more acutance than Rodinal and will
mix up some Beutler to the original formula. Can anyone reliably advise
on times (and dilutions?) with HP5, Tri-X and FP4 ( all in both roll and
sheet). Thanks very much.

Old April 16th 04, 06:30 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Peter Metelerkamp wrote in message ...
I am looking to use developers with more acutance than Rodinal and will
mix up some Beutler to the original formula. Can anyone reliably advise
on times (and dilutions?) with HP5, Tri-X and FP4 ( all in both roll and
sheet). Thanks very much.

See the British Journal of Photography Annual from 1965-1986 or so.

In any event, Paterson Acutol will perform much better on those films
than Beutler will, because Beutler developers compress mid-tones.
Old April 16th 04, 10:12 PM
Dan Quinn

Peter Metelerkamp wrote

I am looking to use developers with more acutance than Rodinal and will
mix up some Beutler to the original formula. Can anyone reliably advise
on times (and dilutions?) with HP5, Tri-X and FP4 ( all in both roll and
sheet). Thanks very much.

If you are mixing up the 1 gram Beutler, use it full strength. I used
1/2 of the full liter to develop a 120 Pan F using a 1 liter tank.
If you have the FX-1 formula at hand you will see that 1/2 of a liter
of Beutler is 1 liter of low sulfite FX-1.
I tried both and found that 1/2 liter of the low sulfite FX-1 was more
suited to Pan F. HP5 and Tri-X may need the more metol Beutler.
I've not my records at hand but usually shoot for 9 minutes or more.
Use an over size tank if possible and vigorously agitate seldom.
I liked the results and plan to do a lot more work with the Beutler/
FX-1 types. I think the two are becoming more popular. Photo. Formulary
and now Barry Thorton have the ready-mix. R. Suzuki thinks it great.
He has several variations. I think you can find his article by
searching Google for, fx 1 . Dan
Old April 17th 04, 05:48 AM
Tobias Begalke

Dan Quinn wrote:
Peter Metelerkamp wrote

[...]

No times for Beutler here but with FX-1 a good starting point for HP5+
and Tri-X would be 20 minutes. T-Max 400 takes about 13 minutes.

Tobias