Richard Avedon farewell

Old October 2nd 04, 09:58 PM
Tom Phillips

wrote in message ...
Ask the young people today about the Beatles - they could care less.

Non sequitur. Ask them about Edward or Bret Weston. Ask them.
about Gershwin, or any of the great classical composers. Ask
them where Bahrain is or what's it middle eastern significance is.
Ask them to name a 19th century president other than Washington,
Jefferson, or Lincoln. Ask them....

The point being the general ignorance and apathy of Gen-Xer's
raised on MTV who think their right to drink beer is a significant
reason to protest on college campuses is hardly an argument
defining the historical or artistic significance of anything or anyone.
Your opinion on Avedon is just your opinion.

Tom Phillips wrote:

wrote:

A lot of his portraits were a con though. He used to "trick" subjects into
giving him the most grotesque poses.

So what? Artist's vision and discretion...

I think you've just summed it up. Avedon is more of a "historical" member of
the '60s counter-culture "scene" and that's how he'll be remembered. He was
part of a movement where the artist trancended the art.

That's an opinion, not a vaild historical assessment. Your
comment is like saying the Beatles will only be remembered
for Beatlemania and the 60's social revolution they created
-- a rock group who "transcended" their art. But that's not
true at all. In fact they continue to influence all the modern
music we hear and likely Avedon influences a great many
photographers.

Reminds me of the critic (who now no one remembers)
who said the Beatles would only be remembered for
the song "yesterday," or the critics who said Ansel Adams
was merely a postcard photographer...

Old October 2nd 04, 10:53 PM

Please, let's not raise the Beatles up to historical significance. They were a pop
group that wrote a few good songs - nothing more. And I'm sure I can come up with some
kids that will not recognize any Beatle song you put on the turntable, oh I mean the CD
player - wasn't their stuff re-issued on CD?

Old October 2nd 04, 11:01 PM
jjs

wrote in message
Please, let's not raise the Beatles up to historical significance.

It's not up to us, and besides you are too late. The Beatles have already
made history, become part of it. No take-backs.

Old October 2nd 04, 11:19 PM
Tom Phillips

In article , wrote:

Please, let's not raise the Beatles up to historical significance. They were
a pop group that wrote a few good songs - nothing more.

Not about to waste time arguing with a troll mentality...

--
Tom Phillips