sheet film developing is hard

Old September 29th 04, 03:30 PM
CamArtsMag

Subject: sheet film developing is hard
From: (Collin Brendemuehl)
Date: 9/29/2004 7:10 AM Mountain Daylight Time
(Largformat) wrote in message
Step by step instructions on tray developing are on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

in the Free Articles section

steve simmons

I've got a Yankee tank for 4x5.
For the first few uses my results were problematic,
until I figured out that a circular motion would move
the chemicals appropriately and produce a good result.
And they're cheap.

My suspicion is that any good system can be mis-used, especially when
one is just starting. That might be what happened here.
Rather than switching systems, look @ the design and see how it's
best used. A few sheets of film is cheaper than a new system.

Collin

The advantage with tray processsing is that I can do 6-8 sheets simultaneously
for different dev. times. With a closed tank all sheets will get the same
developing time.

steve simmons
Old September 29th 04, 03:50 PM
jjs

"CamArtsMag" wrote in message

The advantage with tray processsing is that I can do 6-8 sheets
simultaneously
for different dev. times. With a closed tank all sheets will get the same
developing time.

Large open top tanks have the same virtue. Clip a plastic clothespin on one
side of the tank to separate the batches. Move the N-, N, N+ on time and be
happy. (Presumes same developer, of course and the quanity of developer is,
admittedly, rather daunting.)

Old September 29th 04, 05:27 PM
Gregory Blank

Stated Michael Scarpetti the man who never processes
sheet film. BTW your wrong.

In article ,
(Uranium Committee) wrote:

(Largformat) wrote in message
Step by step instructions on tray developing are on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

in the Free Articles section

steve simmons

Sheet film hangers and tanks are the way to go.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 29th 04, 06:28 PM
Largformat

Sheet film hangers and tanks are the way to go.

You make this sound so convincing and universal. Just be aware that a lot of
people do not agree.

steve simmons

Old September 29th 04, 10:18 PM
Argon3

Here's one that I came across a while back and haven't had the time to try
myself...always thought that it was interesting, though.

http://philbard.com/panel.html

argon
Old September 29th 04, 10:34 PM
Gregory Blank

They work great, back when I worked for Omega
I used them to process step wedge strips
four & six to a panel. I also had someone
make me a stainless tray with a pivot rod on both sides
so I could rock the tray while it was suspended inside
another tray as a tempered water bath. This method
is very close to the recommended ISO methodology
for processing film for sensitometeric testing.
It produces the most controlled result of any method.
It also eliminates handling problems one typically gets
in the various other methods.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 29th 04, 10:54 PM
Tom Phillips

PGG wrote:

I've gone through my first 25-sheet pack of film. I've figured out how to
operate my view camera just fine. I can take a decent picture-- exposing
and focusing properly. But I had no idea how difficult developing it
is...I thought that would be the easy part

first 5 sheets I fumbled around with a color processing tube that didn't
work out due to the film not staying flat against the tube

next 3-5 sheets I tried using my own PVC tubes. They leaked all over the
place and I got uneven development

next 10 sheets I tray developed. At least these were evenly developed but
all scratched up. Plus I fumbled around in the dark spilling crap all
over the floor.

My most recent attempts have been with 2 BZTS tubes bought on eBay. The
best so far. But I realized that 3 of my favorite shots are messed up
because, for about 10-20 seconds, the tubes were not moving. Yep...uneven
development even though total time was 8 minutes.

Sigh.... Frustrated but I haven't quite given up yet.

tray developning is the simplest, fastest, and least
expensive method. You just need more practice. No one
learns to ride a bicycle without falling off and
scraping a knee. I prefer tray process of sheet film
to all other methods and been doing it for 25 years.
My second method of choice would be a Jobo.

A few of points to keep in mind: Don't develop too many
sheets at a time: 2 or 3 are eough to learn good technique
with. Cut your fingernails. ALWAYS pull the bottom sheet
out sideways during shuffling/agitation, never drag across
the film corners. I take the bottom sheet and give it a
little downward tug to separate it from the stack before
pulling it out and shuffling. Gently place the sheet on top
of the developer and then push it down with the balls of the
fingers, not the fingernails, onto the stack squishing the
developer out from underneath. You can also wear latex or
nitrile surgical type gloves to do this. I gently "corral"
the stack with both hands in the corner of the tray ((8x10
or 5x7 depending on the number of sheets) when developing,
ensuring individual sheets do not float around during
shuffling. With each minute (2 cycles) of agitation I rotate
the stack 180 degrees to ensure even development.

Adams in the Negative has a fairly decent description of a
tray processing.
Old September 29th 04, 11:04 PM
David Starr

I'm also a large format beginner. So far I've shot 8 sheets, and have
had no developing problems. I use a Combi-Plan tank. I load the
holder in the dark, drop it into the filled tank, put the top on and
turn on the lights. I agitate it like a reel-style tank - invert it.
When there's 30 seconds left on the timer, I turn out the light and
take the top off the tank. I have 2 Yankee tanks I use for stop,
fixing and washing. The wash tank is also the stop tank. It has a
hose in it with water running. One minute in the water, then into the
filled fixer tank. After the developer, I just leave the light out.
I agitate in the water bath and fixer by raising and lowering the film
holder in the tank. After the fix, I turn on the lights, put the
holder in the wash tank, and let it wash with occasional agitation.
I've gotten very nice looking negatives with no apparent streaking.
This weekend I hope to have the D5 ready to go and make some prints.

Professional Shop Rat: 14,451 days in a GM plant.