You can't even take pictures at a public city beach anymore?

Old August 29th 04, 12:59 AM
JohnCM

Default You can't even take pictures at a public city beach anymore?

It was a warm and humid day with a stiff south breeze and a weak
tropical storm offshore. A good day to head to Long Beach,NY and get
some shots of the waves and sea spray. I was taking some pictures of
the rough surf today, and I took several shots of some real nice
breakers from the boardwalk. The beach was crowded, and some women
just happened to be sitting on the beach near the jetti.
Anyway I take a few pictures, do some more walking to the end of the
boardwalk to get a few more shots and then walk back. Shortly
thereafter, I am accosted by 3 men, who say they want to see my
camera. I told them it's none of their business, and asked if they
were cops. They said no. The one younger male (the head jerk) accused
me of taking pictures of his girlfriend on the beach. I told them I
wasn't, and was taking pictures of the surf. Then the head jerk said
"look me in the eye, I know what you're doing, taking pictures of
girls on the beach undressing". I then said "so what, it's a public
beach and I have every right to take pictures". He continues to
verbally assault me, and threaten to call the cops. Then I really get
mad and start yelling back.
I tell him that I am sick of people like you who stop and bother
photographers. First it's the trains because they're worried I'm a
terrorist, now it's the beach because you're worried I'm taking
pictures of your girlfriend. I said "listen pal, this is America and
as long as I am on public property neither you or anyone else will
stop me from taking pictures". He then continued to curse at me
telling me if he sees me again taking pictures he will beat the
(censored) out of me. At this point I decide not to waste anymore time
and tell them I am walking away and want to be left alone. They
continue to make verbal and physical threats, I was so enraged I gave
them the finger and told them to "mind their own (censored) business".
Other people saw this incident but refused to back me up.
Anyway I told a few of the witnesses that they should speak up like I
did, because the way things are going it seems, our freedoms and civil
liberties will be gone in no time, because no one cares to stand up
for what's right anymore.
I told a beach worker what happened, who offered to let me on the
beach for free (it costs to get on the sand at Long Beach during the
summer) but I told them I wasn't in the mood anymore and had to leave.
I saw a few other guys filming and taking photos of the beach and told
them what happened, just to be on the lookout for people who'll bug
you for taking pictures and so on.
I tell you, I'm really considering leaving New York or this country
altogether. Perhaps it's just because I am so mad now, but I just
can't live in a society that seems so paranoid anymore. I see the MTA
Police and police all over train stations now. It's just no fun
anymore, heck, it's miserable. Today may be the last straw. I want to
live in a country like the United States we used to have. You know,
the one where protesters got respect and were allowed to march, one
where you can freely take photos on public property, one where people
trust eachother,etc. It's bad enough we lost the World Trade Center
and all those innocent lives, but now we're losing something even more
valuable.
I know today's incident wasn't related at all to terrorism, but one
man's insane jealousy and paranoia, but still, it's part of the
paranoia society is inflicted with these days.
Old August 29th 04, 01:29 AM
YoYo

Yea believe or not it happens upstate,
central NY also :+(

om...

Old August 29th 04, 02:22 AM
The Black Sheep

"JohnCM" wrote in message
om...

I tell you, I'm really considering leaving New York or this country
altogether. Perhaps it's just because I am so mad now, but I just
can't live in a society that seems so paranoid anymore. I see the

MTA
Police and police all over train stations now. It's just no fun
anymore, heck, it's miserable. Today may be the last straw. I want

live in a country like the United States we used to have. You know,
the one where protesters got respect and were allowed to march, one
where you can freely take photos on public property, one where

people
trust eachother,etc. It's bad enough we lost the World Trade Center
and all those innocent lives, but now we're losing something even

more
valuable.

Move to Canada. I've been on Parliament Hill taking photos after
midnight, walking right up to the front door of Parliament, and the
only police attention I ever got was an RCMP officer nodding "good
evening" and another moving his car for me so it was out of my shot.

I know today's incident wasn't related at all to terrorism, but one
man's insane jealousy and paranoia, but still, it's part of the
paranoia society is inflicted with these days.

You are correct. Of course, there are jerks everywhere....

Next time something like this happens, advise the person that if they
touch you or threaten you again you will consider at assault. Ask
them to leave you alone, and if they don't tell them you will consider
it harrassment. Then dial 91 on your cell phone and ask them if you
should dial the last digit. Works like a charm.

Old August 29th 04, 02:39 AM
Ron Hunter

JohnCM wrote:

[...]

Gee, three obnoxious people and you indict the whole country? You are
in for some ugly shocks if you travel widely. I took 470 shots while on
vacation this year, and no one complained about any of them, even though
some of them might have been of interest to a terrorist. I rather
suspect that some paranoid people decided you were up to no good and
accosted you. Why didn't you offer to let them look at the pictures and
judge for themselves? Or maybe you didn't want to do that for cause?
Old August 29th 04, 03:09 AM
Hunt

In article , qtraindash7
@optonline.net says...

[SNIP]
I know today's incident wasn't related at all to terrorism, but one
man's insane jealousy and paranoia, but still, it's part of the
paranoia society is inflicted with these days.

This scene could just have easily played out, even without your camera, in
almost any "inner-city" neighborhood, had you just violated their turf, or
worn the wrong color ****.

Just an observation,
Hunt

Old August 29th 04, 03:11 AM
Clyde Torres

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
JohnCM wrote:
Gee, three obnoxious people and you indict the whole country? You are
in for some ugly shocks if you travel widely. I took 470 shots while on
vacation this year, and no one complained about any of them, even though
some of them might have been of interest to a terrorist. I rather
suspect that some paranoid people decided you were up to no good and
accosted you. Why didn't you offer to let them look at the pictures and
judge for themselves? Or maybe you didn't want to do that for cause?

Regardless of whether he was really taking pictures of their girlfriends, he
has every right to do so. He doesn't have to show them shiite.

Clyde Torres

Old August 29th 04, 03:19 AM
Mxsmanic

JohnCM writes:

I know today's incident wasn't related at all to terrorism, but one
man's insane jealousy and paranoia, but still, it's part of the
paranoia society is inflicted with these days.

Terrorism is actually just one flavor of paranoia. Terrorists depend on
hysteria and paranoia to accomplish their ends. The ironic and scary
part is that governments often depend on exactly the same things for
exactly the same reasons. In other words, terrorists and governments
often are working in the same way towards similar purposes. Terrorist
attacks give governments excuses to curtail civil liberties.

Democracies are their own worst enemies; they eventually commit suicide.
And people in free societies don't know what they've got until it's
gone.

Old August 29th 04, 03:20 AM
Mxsmanic

Jeff Cochran writes:

Some guy thinks the original poster is taking pics of his girl
in a bikini (which he may have been) and defends her.

Against what?

Old August 29th 04, 03:22 AM
Mxsmanic

Ron Hunter writes:

Why didn't you offer to let them look at the pictures and
judge for themselves?

Because his pictures are none of their business. He doesn't have to
prove he didn't take pictures. And even if he did take pictures ...
it's perfectly legal.

Or maybe you didn't want to do that for cause?

"If you're not with us, you're against us."