Recharging batteries in Japan

Old June 29th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James King

Default Recharging batteries in Japan

We live in the US and plan to visit Japan next week.
I am going to take Nikon D90 and Canon SD 890 cameras.
Do I need an adaptor to charge batteries in Japan? Jorge

Old June 29th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"James King" wrote:
We live in the US and plan to visit Japan next week.
I am going to take Nikon D90 and Canon SD 890 cameras.
Do I need an adaptor to charge batteries in Japan?

No, you will need a batterie charger, just like anywhere else.

Did you mean to ask, if your need an adapter to use your existing
batterie charger in Japan?

That depends. According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_frequencies
in general no, but in particular in this case details can be finicky.

You didn't say what charger you are using, actually just the specs would
be interesting, voltage and frequency.

Japan has even lower nominal voltage than the US (100V versus 120V)
which may or may not be enough for your charger. If it isn't (how is
your charger rated?), then you need a transformer anyway instead of a
simple plug adapter.

Frequency may be different (some areas 50Hz versus universal 60Hz),
however most charger are universal and don't care (how is your charger
rated?).

And while the plugs in Japan are type A, too, there seem to be some
peculiarities in older installations, you may want to read the
country-specific details in that list above

Jorge

I thought your name is James King?

jue
Old July 5th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dot Matrix

"James King" wrote in message
We live in the US and plan to visit Japan next week.
I am going to take Nikon D90 and Canon SD 890 cameras.
Do I need an adaptor to charge batteries in Japan? Jorge

I've been to Japan several times with my Nikon D70 and never had any problem
with recharging my batteries using the charger that came with the camera.
Every outlet I've encountered there has been a two-prong type like the ones
found in older US construction (before the three-prong grounded ones became
standard.) The label on the back of the charger shows it to be rated for
100-240 V 50-60 HZ 15W 0.25A power input. Which would easily cover power
found in both the US and Japan. I imagine that the charger that came with
your D90 is probably rated much the same. You'd have to check the ratings
on your Canon charger, to see what the specs are, but I would be surprised
if they aren't in the same range.

If you are taking anything (such as a laptop) that requires a three-prong
outlet, you should pick up a simple adapter (like the one shown at
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...7960-334-419GY
-SP-L&lpage=none) that will allow you to make a grounded connection by
attaching a lug on the adapter to the screw holding the cover plate of the
outlet box. They are very inexpensive and can be found at any hardware
store. I've been able to request an "adapter" at the front desk of some
hotels I've stayed in, but more often than not they end up being a short
length of extension cord that has a two-prong plug at one end and a two-slot
socket at the other, so that when you plug in a three-prong plug the third
(ground) plug hands free below the socket on the cord. It works, but it's
not what I would call a desirable solution.

I hope you enjoy your trip. I've found Japan to be a very lovely country
and always seem to come home with hundreds of photos of the sights there.