Hybrid Batteries

Old April 10th 07, 02:44 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
~~NoMad~~

Default Hybrid Batteries

Greetings!

I've been using Rayovac Hybrid NiMh 2100Mah batteries for a couple of months
now. These are the ones that come fully charged in the package when you buy
them. They claim to have 4 times less leakage than typical NiMh batteries.
Previously I had been using Energizer 2500Mah batteries that seem to leak
down pretty fast when not in use.

I use my batteries almost everyday and always carry a spare freshly charged
set. I usually wear out a set of Energizers in two weeks to a month. When I
change to the spare set it seems that the previously charged batteries have
leaked considerable charge. This is not the case with the new Hybrid
batteries.

I find that even though the Hybrids are rated at lower capacity than the
Energizers the Hybrids actually last longer in my usage situation.

Now all we need is higher capacity Hybrids!

NM

Old April 10th 07, 04:30 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
specialty

Don't forget the Eneloop (I found them at Wolf Camera)
I've not heard the word "hybrid" used but they are the same deal.
They are good !

Old April 10th 07, 05:18 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

ray wrote:
[...]

The subject is rechargeable AA's. I've been using a set of Sanyo
Eneloops since last September, only charged once. These are excellent.
Hybrid type are licensed from Sanyo but their rating is not same.
Eneloop claim to keep 85% of their charge for a year, Hybrid 3 months. I
think either way this is much better than other NiMH's. Hybrids costs
less in Walmart, haven't seen them selling Eneloop, got mine for Ritz.
Dave Cohen
Old April 10th 07, 05:25 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the wonderful person ~~NoMad~~
said
[...]

I'm using 2100 mAHr 'Instant' which are pretty much the same thing (and
which came from the same place as my normal 2700 mAHr VapExTech .. i.e.
on line), and I get pretty much the same result. They're certainly the
battery of choice for the backup set I carry round the hills in case my
GPS (Or heaven forbid, my MP3 player) goes flat miles from home.

More (real) mAHrs would always be nice, but it's pretty much a mythical
number anyway, unless you are stuffing cells straight from the charger
into something you then use continuously until they go flat (and even
then, current draw makes a big difference).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
8,307 Km walked. 1,561Km PROWs surveyed. 28.4% complete.
Old April 10th 07, 06:36 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
MG

Previously I had been using Energizer 2500Mah batteries that seem to leak
down pretty fast when not in use.

I have a set of Energizer 2500s that are absolutely terrible. I heard on
this group that Energizer made a bad batch in 2005. I won't buy Energizers
again, bad batch or not.

MG

Old April 10th 07, 06:58 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
~~NoMad~~

"Dan Anderson" wrote in message
om...
~~NoMad~~ wrote:
[snip]
I use my batteries almost everyday and always carry a spare freshly
charged set. I usually wear out a set of Energizers in two weeks to a
month. When I change to the spare set it seems that the previously
charged batteries have leaked considerable charge. This is not the case
with the new Hybrid batteries.

[snip]

How do you wear out the NiMH Energizers in two weeks?

I use them in a GPS on my dirtbike that I ride almost every day. My rides
are typically 2-4 hours long and the Energizers work for about 20 hours
riding. I shouldn't say I 'wear out' the Energizers... just 'run them down'
that's all.

NM

Old April 10th 07, 07:48 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
Dan Anderson

~~NoMad~~ wrote:
[snip]
I use my batteries almost everyday and always carry a spare freshly charged
set. I usually wear out a set of Energizers in two weeks to a month. When I
change to the spare set it seems that the previously charged batteries have
leaked considerable charge. This is not the case with the new Hybrid
batteries.

[snip]

How do you wear out the NiMH Energizers in two weeks?

--
Dan
(email change 2001 to 2004)
(www.gpsmap.net)
Old April 10th 07, 08:41 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:18:34 +0000, Dave Cohen wrote:

ray wrote:
[...]

I'm familiar with the claims for 'enerloop'. Perhaps you could enlighten
me though. As far as I know, the term 'hybrid' implies a merging of two
technologies e.g. a hybrid car is basically a 'gasoline-electric' - it
uses the small gasoline motor to charge the batteries. What is the
'hybrid' part here - NiMH and . . .?

Old April 10th 07, 09:41 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"~~NoMad~~" wrote in message
[...]

I purchased several packs of Rayovac Hybrids in January. I have some of them
in use in two cameras and they are still on the factory charge.
The longer shelf life corrects the biggest complaint I've had about Ni-mh
cells. If you go between charges longer than 2 or three weeks these
batteries make sense. Price is right too. Under $9 for a 4 pack of AAs
(Hybrids at Walmart).

John