Revive a dead CF card

Old December 21st 05, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Revive a dead CF card

Is there any to try and revive a dead CF card? When I plug the card in
my Canon 300D, it throws "Err 02". When I plug the CF card in the card
reader connected to my linux box, it detects the make and capacity and
then starts throwing errors saying "Couldn't read logical block 0" and
then the same for block 1,2,3, .....

Is there some way to force filesystem creation on this CF card?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha

Old December 21st 05, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Is there any to try and revive a dead CF card? When I plug the card in
my Canon 300D, it throws "Err 02". When I plug the CF card in the card
reader connected to my linux box, it detects the make and capacity and
then starts throwing errors saying "Couldn't read logical block 0" and
then the same for block 1,2,3, .....

Is there some way to force filesystem creation on this CF card?

under Linux, do:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/{yourdevice} bs=8k

Then sit back and wait. If that fails, it's time to throw the card away.
If it finishes, it will have zeroed out the entire card, but will have done
something even better along the way: As the card goes along, if a write
fails, it will remap that sector out to a reserved chunk.

Once that's done, create a partition on it of the correct type, plug it in
your camera, and format it.

steve

Old December 21st 05, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

When you have a dead CF-card:
and are a Linux-user.....
try Linux version of Recovery Manager 1.5 on
http://www.vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
and test it

When the card doesn't revive ... don't throw away.
Claim a new card, because most of the memorycards have a ten year guarantee

Marius

Old December 21st 05, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Marius" wrote in message
t.nl...
When you have a dead CF-card:
and are a Linux-user.....
try Linux version of Recovery Manager 1.5 on
http://www.vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
and test it

When the card doesn't revive ... don't throw away.
Claim a new card, because most of the memorycards have a ten year
guarantee

Marius

I had the same problem with a Sandisk 512 mb card and I found that if I
installed it into a Hp 2210 it would read the corrupt card. I then
reformatted using a pocket pc utility I downloaded from the web. Hope this
helps..

Old December 21st 05, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On 20 Dec 2005 19:35:39 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
wrote:

Is there any to try and revive a dead CF card? When I plug the card in
my Canon 300D, it throws "Err 02". When I plug the CF card in the card
reader connected to my linux box, it detects the make and capacity and
then starts throwing errors saying "Couldn't read logical block 0" and
then the same for block 1,2,3, .....

Is there some way to force filesystem creation on this CF card?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha

If you're using Windows, try Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery...
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/
It's free, and works for me.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old December 22nd 05, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

Is there any to try and revive a dead CF card? When I plug the card in
my Canon 300D, it throws "Err 02". When I plug the CF card in the card
reader connected to my linux box, it detects the make and capacity and
then starts throwing errors saying "Couldn't read logical block 0" and
then the same for block 1,2,3, .....

Is there some way to force filesystem creation on this CF card?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha

If you're using Windows, try Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery...
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/
It's free, and works for me.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com

The problem with Windows is that you cannot read the card with the card
reader to try any recovery.

Old December 22nd 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:10:53 GMT, "grim"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Is there any to try and revive a dead CF card? When I plug the card in
my Canon 300D, it throws "Err 02". When I plug the CF card in the card
reader connected to my linux box, it detects the make and capacity and
then starts throwing errors saying "Couldn't read logical block 0" and
then the same for block 1,2,3, .....

Is there some way to force filesystem creation on this CF card?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha

If you're using Windows, try Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery...
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/
It's free, and works for me.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com

The problem with Windows is that you cannot read the card with the card
reader to try any recovery.

That's not what Siddhartha said.
Give it a try; it's worked for me in such situations.