Which side of your brain owns you? (Colour v. words)

Old May 27th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Which side of your brain owns you? (Colour v. words)

Some time ago I mentioned this test...

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 29th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Some time ago I mentioned this test...

I scored 100% in about 10 seconds. What does that really mean?

Old May 29th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 29-05-09 11:08, Pat wrote:
On May 27, 2:05 pm, Alan
wrote:
Some time ago I mentioned this test...

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

There is a better "test" out there if you want to have fun with it.

I can get you to answer a question incorrectly, very simply.

I will scroll down and type the same word 3 times. You must say them
out loud. Simple, just say the word 3 times.

Then scroll down and there will be a question. Read it and answer it
as quickly as possible. Very simple.

I not only got it (water) as near instantly as possible, I noted your
grammar mistake in passing too. ;-)

That is not a "better "test"" IMO. The color/word test more challenging
to most people even after they've tried it a couple times.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 29th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 29-05-09 10:44, Bowser wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Some time ago I mentioned this test...

I scored 100% in about 10 seconds. What does that really mean?

You must be a printer since you have great colour separation.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 29th 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 29-05-09 08:04, Draco wrote:
On May 27, 2:05 pm, Alan
wrote:
Some time ago I mentioned this test...

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

I flunked this test. It isn't as simple as it seems.

You didn't flunk. You did exactly as you were trained to do at about
age 4 - 5 (or more likely wired in nature to consider symbols over colour).

Repeat the test and just try to ignore reading the word. It is oddly
difficult at first but you get it after a few tries.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 29th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Steven Green[_3_]

Alan Browne wrote:
On 29-05-09 08:04, Draco wrote:
On May 27, 2:05 pm, Alan
wrote:
Some time ago I mentioned this test...

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

I flunked this test. It isn't as simple as it seems.

You didn't flunk. You did exactly as you were trained to do at about
age 4 - 5 (or more likely wired in nature to consider symbols over colour).

Repeat the test and just try to ignore reading the word. It is oddly
difficult at first but you get it after a few tries.

I did this test and failed the first time, but the second time did very
well, but I bet if you gave less time per screen to think I would likely
fail again. The grade should consider the time it takes you too
Old May 29th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 29-05-09 15:24, Steven Green wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 29-05-09 08:04, Draco wrote:
On May 27, 2:05 pm, Alan
wrote:
Some time ago I mentioned this test...

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

I flunked this test. It isn't as simple as it seems.

You didn't flunk. You did exactly as you were trained to do at about
age 4 - 5 (or more likely wired in nature to consider symbols over
colour).

Repeat the test and just try to ignore reading the word. It is oddly
difficult at first but you get it after a few tries.

I did this test and failed the first time, but the second time did very
well, but I bet if you gave less time per screen to think I would likely
fail again. The grade should consider the time it takes you too

Well it does, but people need time to move the mouse and click too.

The point is not so much mastering the test as discovering the odd
mental state (sensation? perception?) while forcing ourselves to focus
on the colour and ignore that very strong leap to the meaning of the
written word.

It's astounding in one way: our brain seems more wired to higher
meaning through symbols than to the basic information of colour.

May be why some people make photographs that are very colour (& form, &
light) oriented and others more subject oriented. I think I'm in the
later category.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 29th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:05:13 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Some time ago I mentioned this test...

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

My wife made a complete mess of this test told me that she thought it
was 'stupid!'. I am interested in learning whether or not there is any
performance difference between men and women.

Eric Stevens
Old May 29th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Charles[_2_]

"Draco" wrote in message

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm

I flunked this test. It isn't as simple as it seems.

So did I, and then quickly scored 100 by CAREFULLY reading the instructions.

Pretty neat stuff!

Old May 30th 09, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

wrote:

Some time ago I mentioned this test...

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

My wife made a complete mess of this test told me that she thought it
was 'stupid!'. I am interested in learning whether or not there is any
performance difference between men and women.

My SO did it a few minutes ago and confused the 'time bar' with the
color. I stopped the test and restarted.

Then with fresh instructions, she got 50%. Then she insisted that it
had been a long day and a glass of wine and she left for a chick
gathering... I'll try her again tomorrow.

I did it again a few minutes ago after a couple glasses of wine and
scored 100% without much trouble. (but it was the 3rd time in 3 days too).

I don't think it is a gender thing. I believe it's a perception thing
with most people diving in on the word since almost everyone sight reads
(take in whole words or sections of sentences in a glance) and this
dominates how we "run with the data".

Some people can disassociate more easily.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.