editing photos and given the run-around

Old October 15th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

Default editing photos and given the run-around

Allen wrote:
[]
Incidentally, the major issue in backing up is not reliability, but
obsolescence. Remember tape backups, 8", 5.25" and 3.5" floppies, and
so on? Sure, you can usually find some place that will restore those
old formats to current ones, but the cost can be astronomical.

Allen

I have 3.5-inch floppies on all my PCs, with the exception of two
portables. But I can't remember the last time I used them. I still have
boxes of 3.5-inch floppies with stuff that "I thought might be worth
keeping". The photos are on CD, DVD and now also on external rugged
(perhaps) 2.5-inch USB HDs.

David

Old October 15th 08, 08:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,24hoursupport.helpdesk
David J Taylor[_7_]

Iapetus wrote:
john d hamilton wrote:

[]
Could anyone give advice to a novice on what best to do here please?
My ultimate goal is to delete duplicates and then edit the number
down and then transfer to cd or dvd for safekeeping. Keeping if
possible the original number bytes of each photograph so I can do
some detailed editing in the future. Many thanks for any advice.

Dupe Detector, for finding... duplicates.

http://www.freeware-guide.com/rareware/DupDetector.html

I use my own Find Duplicates program:

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/dis...FindDuplicates

David

Old October 15th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Geoff Berrow

cooper contained the following:

In my history of computer use, I've never had a drive go bad on me.

All I can say is - lucky you.
Geoff Berrow
http://www.slipperyhill.co.uk - Blue grass, blues, barn dance
http://4theweb.co.uk - Web design, development and hosting
Old October 15th 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,24hoursupport.helpdesk
OG

"Tony in Oz" wrote in message

I may be just extremely /un/lucky, but totally depending on a HD
is just stupid.

I tend to agree. I lost a heap of photos that were backed up on an
external HD, when it was accidently dropped from a footstool onto a
carpeted floor while reading from it. Yes, stupid place to put it,
specially with kids running around, but if a CD or DVD dropped from thete,
I would still have my pictures. Statistically, because of its nature, 100%
of HD s WILL fail at some point in time. Cheers

A back up is what you have when you have 2 copies of each photo - one on
your main storage and one on another storage device.

If your photos were only on your external HDD then you did not have a 'back
up'

Old October 15th 08, 11:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,24hoursupport.helpdesk
OG

"D@Z" wrote in message
print them onto special shiny paper(some people call them photographs)
then keep them in a big book where you can look at them without the need
of a computer.

.. . . keep them in a big book where nobody will look at them from one year
to the next . . .

Old October 15th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,24hoursupport.helpdesk
bugbear

Eric Stevens wrote:
My photo collection is rather modest compared to some, but I've never
found it necessary to resort to 'photo management software' - I keep mine
in order by using a directory structure to represent months and years.

I do much the same except that my directory structure is based on
subject.

Of course, some photos are of more than on subject
(e.g. car at sunset), or "parrot" taken when on
"holiday" and all photos have a date *and* subject(s).

The desire to index/navigate by more in more
than one model (possibly simultaneously) is what photomagement software
is about.

It does depend on how many photos you have, of course,
but the desire see photos of "cars" from 2006 doesn't seem unreasonable.

BugBear
Old October 15th 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Michael J Davis[_2_]

Iapetus was inspired to say
john d hamilton wrote:
In an attempt to delete all my duplicate photos all over the place on
my pc and external hard drive, I opened Picasa and went through all
the folders listed deleting the endless copies.
I wanted to create a 'backup' but was told it would need 2 dvds or
12 cds. since i only have cds (each 700mb capacity) and not enough of
them i thought i would transfer to 'My Documents' on my pc and then
go through all the photos once again deleting a lot of the not so
good photos.
For some reason only about a third of the photos have transferred to
my documents from Picas, and when i went back to the Picasa library,
all the duplicate folders have *returned* to the library list !
Which is very annoying since there are years worth and literally
hundreds of folders and i'm not happy to have to do it all again.
Could anyone give advice to a novice on what best to do here please?
My ultimate goal is to delete duplicates and then edit the number
down and then transfer to cd or dvd for safekeeping. Keeping if
possible the original number bytes of each photograph so I can do
some detailed editing in the future. Many thanks for any advice.

Dupe Detector, for finding... duplicates.

http://www.freeware-guide.com/rareware/DupDetector.html

Interesting; but having lost a whole weeks trip of photos a couple of
years back, (from copying to a temporary drive while reconstructing my
backups - it left two sub-folders uncopied) I need a no-dups detector
program that tells me that 'this photo is NOT backed up'.

Has anyone seen the equivalent software?

Mike

--
Michael J Davis
Please note that the Reply-To: address will remain in use for at least 30

Old October 15th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Aardvark

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:48:10 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

The /sane/ truth is that Bush won both elections legitimately, there
were NO gas chambers in Hitler's concentration camps (nor did grandpa
Bush do profitable business with the aforementioned gentleman), there
was NO moon landing, and Google stores NO personal data ANYWHERE. Oh,
and there is NO Echelon either. Or US torture camps around the world.
After all, God makes damn sure nothing bad /ever/ happens.

I now hereby certify you totally cured of your psychosis and you may be
released from this institution to rejoin the world as a good little
citizen :-)

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com
Old October 15th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
John McWilliams

bugbear wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:
My photo collection is rather modest compared to some, but I've never
found it necessary to resort to 'photo management software' - I keep
mine in order by using a directory structure to represent months and
years.

I do much the same except that my directory structure is based on
subject.

Of course, some photos are of more than on subject
(e.g. car at sunset), or "parrot" taken when on
"holiday" and all photos have a date *and* subject(s).

The desire to index/navigate by more in more
than one model (possibly simultaneously) is what photomagement software
is about.

It does depend on how many photos you have, of course,
but the desire see photos of "cars" from 2006 doesn't seem unreasonable.

BugBear

24hoursupport.helpdesk removed
Old October 15th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,24hoursupport.helpdesk
clandestin_écureuil

ray wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:27:57 +0100, john d hamilton wrote:

[...]

There would, of course, be several other practical ways to organize your
photos. I keep all my photos - which I usually shoot in RAW - my wife does
jpegs on her older smaller P&S. I read the photos into my desktop and my
laptop compter and then make a backup copy on an external USB hard drive
(they are quite reasonable now) and then from time to time make a backup
to DVD - DVD writers are also pretty inexpensive now. Needless to say, I
have never lost a photo.

Wow!

I am starting to feel like a technology glutton. I am adding to my photo
archives at the rate of two to four gigabytes per week (I shoot stock and
fill a four gig card every few days). I can't survive without a raid
system. I have a terabyte drive in my primary computer, plus two terabyte
backup drives for photo images alone, and I am constantly "weeding" through
them to restore space. They are approaching eighty-percent capacity
already. I can't imagine using optical media as a backup medium, it would
be an impractical nightmare. I have had *many* cd's and dvd's fail over the
years, I would never rely on them. I have also had hard drives fail, about
one every two years, it is like driving a car, sooner or later you get a
flat. Having three copies of my photo database gives me some sort of
security. Thankfully hard drive prices are falling as my needs are growing.

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com