Solar charger can work without sunshine?

Old December 21st 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
woterm

Default Solar charger can work without sunshine?

-*Solar charger*- is convenient for people who usually travel out. But
sometimes I want to ask such question “solar charger can work without
sunshine?” Perhaps it is a stupid question. But I still want to know the
answer. And if they can not work, is it still convenient. You can not
use inside and you can not use in winter. Only without sunshine, it
becomes rubbish. So is it worth for us to use?

--
woterm
woterm's Profile: http://forums.yourdomain.com.au/member.php?userid=109

Old December 23rd 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart1

"woterm" wrote in message

-*Solar charger*- is convenient for people who usually travel out. But
sometimes I want to ask such question "solar charger can work without
sunshine?" Perhaps it is a stupid question. But I still want to know the
answer. And if they can not work, is it still convenient. You can not
use inside and you can not use in winter. Only without sunshine, it
becomes rubbish. So is it worth for us to use?

Well, technically, if it works without sunshine, we would have to call it
something other than a "solar" charger. Generally, photovoltaic (solar)
cells output a current in relation to the amount of light that strikes them.
The more light, the more power they put out. So you could use a solar
charger by the light of a campfire for example, but it probably would not
charge as rapidly as in bright sunshine.

So the question is does the charger you have in mind work well even under
subdued light for it to be valuable?

Old December 23rd 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

woterm wrote:
-*Solar charger*- is convenient for people who usually travel out. But
sometimes I want to ask such question “solar charger can work without
sunshine?” Perhaps it is a stupid question. But I still want to know the

It depends on your definition of "sunshine".

A solar panel will give power on a cloudy day. Some would not consider
that to be "sunshine", but certainly the light is from the sun.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 23rd 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark Thomas

woterm wrote:
-*Solar charger*- is convenient for people who usually travel out. But
sometimes I want to ask such question “solar charger can work without
sunshine?” Perhaps it is a stupid question. But I still want to know the
answer. And if they can not work, is it still convenient. You can not
use inside and you can not use in winter. Only without sunshine, it
becomes rubbish. So is it worth for us to use?

Like they said, yes, it will work.. but it may not produce enough power
to be useful. Most devices that you are likely to attach will have a
thereshold voltage/amperage/wattage, and unless the power source
delivers that, they will not operate at all. You need to do some
homework, or explain what you will be doing with it and verify that it
will be sufficient before purchase.
Old December 24th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Mark Thomas" wrote in message
woterm wrote:
-*Solar charger*- is convenient for people who usually travel out. But
sometimes I want to ask such question “solar charger can work without
sunshine?” Perhaps it is a stupid question. But I still want to know the
answer. And if they can not work, is it still convenient. You can not
use inside and you can not use in winter. Only without sunshine, it
becomes rubbish. So is it worth for us to use?

Like they said, yes, it will work.. but it may not produce enough power to
be useful. Most devices that you are likely to attach will have a
thereshold voltage/amperage/wattage, and unless the power source delivers
that, they will not operate at all. You need to do some homework, or
explain what you will be doing with it and verify that it will be
sufficient before purchase.

Solar charger is a misnomer.....They are light chargers.....They turn
photons into electrons. The brighter the light (photons per square surface
area per second) the more electrons per second will be the output.....A
cloudy day will still provide some light, but not as much as direct,
unobstructed sunlight. but even a dim electric bulb will induce some
electrons to flow......